Joseph Mills

All about our First Team

Joseph Mills

Postby Ant76 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 pm

Ok, I’ll be the one that addresses the elephant in the room.

Of four new signings, one is a left-back; one is a player who can play wing-back either side; and one is a left-winger.

I put it to the room that the club already know that Joseph Mills won’t be signing a new contract.
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Joseph Mills

Postby Tj1889 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am

I tend to agree. I hope he will sign, I really do, but the signs aren’t good.
Tj1889
Youth
Youth

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 am

We have also signed Chris Stokes who...let us not forget...is an accomplished left sided defender, although I suspect he may play in the middle of defence next season.

If the rumours of Joe being offered terms by Plymouth and Blackpool, both of whom are in Division One, then it has to be accepted that they are likely to be a bigger draw for him than remaining with Rovers. Clearly none of us know what terms he will have been offered, or what criteria he has regarding who to sign for, but I agree that it is likely that he will be on his way.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
#BLM
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am

I will be so disappointed if he goes.
If I had to pick the one player that we need the most it would be him.
Ever since he joined us he’s been totally committed, well-organised, a true leader and then a great captain.
Plus he knows how to score goals.

I always knew it would only be a matter of time until others noticed just how good he is.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Joseph Mills is undoubtedly our best player. Not only talented but his will to win, total commitment and great captaincy skills. His experience and age was also invaluable to our younger players. I for one will not begrudge him one last big move.

Problem will be replacing him as captain. Maybe Winch, Stokes or one of the new guys. Wow what a young squad we have though. And looking forward to Dokes progress in the coming season, where Ebou plays (no 10 or box to box), our new left winger and whether Stevens or March can step up to league 2 level. Also be interesting if the 2 academy lads can break into MC’s thinking. Talking of which he has been rather quiet of late.

I am strangely excited for coming season. Hopefully crowds will increase and atmosphere will return to its best. We have offloaded many injury prone players, who were great pro’s, but cannot carry in probably a small squad this season.

I believe we need at least another 2 midfielders (hard man and creative type) and please bring in another coach, preferably in the Scott L mould.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
First Team
First Team

Postby Main Stander » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:46 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:I believe we need at least another 2 midfielders (hard man and creative type) and please bring in another coach, preferably in the Scott L mould.

When we didn't sign Alan McCormack last season i was disappointed - especially when he ended up at Northampton.

See he has been released again now, He is someone we should be doing all we can to sign, Help the kids along and hold that midfeld.
Main Stander
First Team
First Team

Postby NeilC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:34 pm

McCormack can’t presumably be as good as he was against Cheltenham all the time? Surely he wouldn’t have been released if so.
NeilC
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Main Stander » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:51 pm

I didnt see the Cheltenham/Northants games so couldnt say how good he was,but if he was good in those games,hes gone through the leagues with Luton too.

Sign him up...
Main Stander
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:20 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I will be so disappointed if he goes.
If I had to pick the one player that we need the most it would be him.
Ever since he joined us he’s been totally committed, well-organised, a true leader and then a great captain.
Plus he knows how to score goals.

I always knew it would only be a matter of time until others noticed just how good he is.

Yes -he was/is an outstandingly good left back / defender .

Then either the manager /JM himself, or both combined turned him into a decent but far from special wing back, and as happens virtually every time at this level -the player gets caught between two roles and performs neither particularly well to the overall detriment of the team .
Yes his goals made a significant contribution .
If he had been at 'old money ' left back, would the team have conceded fewer ?

Big boots to fill-but it could just be that Kane Wilson is better still .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am

Joe Mills is one of the best wing backs at this level imo, he's got all the attributes for the role, both defensively and going forward. The main problem last season was that he missed 12 games through injury,

With him in the team our defensive record was 11 clean sheets in 24 games, with just 20 goals conceded (0.8pg). We got 40 pts in those games (1.66ppg)
Without him it was 2 clean sheets in 12, with 20 conceded (1.7pg). We got 9 points in those games (0.75ppg).

He was also our leading goalscorer.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:29 am

He was also our leading goalscorer.

notwithstanding that a fair few were penalties- very welcome/essential were those goals as well.

some may say, that in itself highlights a bit of a problem ,when a wing back playing less than two thirds of the games available is top goalscorer .

notwithstanding any of that, JM has not actually left yet-and you never know.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:30 am

I think what's pretty clear is just how much the team missed both Mills and Shephard when they were out last season. With one or both in the side the team conceded far less goals, scored more and picked up a lot more points.

With both fit all season we would have been in the top 5 when the season stopped.

Both offered a lot both going forward and defensively, Shep is going to be a hard act to follow and Mills (if he leaves) even more so.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Contract signed...
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NeilC » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Let’s hope he still wants number 23 on his shirt.......
NeilC
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Ant76 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Tom FGR wrote:Contract signed...

Really?
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tom FGR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 pm

Yep. Announcement next week I think..
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Ant76 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Tom FGR wrote:Yep. Announcement next week I think..

Presumably this contract is with FGR and not Plymouth or Blackpool?
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Ant76 wrote:

-exactly-for all we know ,this could be Tom ,advising that he (Tom ) has signed a contract with an estate agent today to sell his/her (Toms ) house .

Perhaps Tom would like to be a bit more specific ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 pm

michael wrote:
Ant76 wrote:

-exactly-for all we know ,this could be Tom ,advising that he (Tom ) has signed a contract with an estate agent today to sell his/her (Toms ) house .

Perhaps Tom would like to be a bit more specific ?
The club have not very subtly hinted it on their Twitter page.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:16 pm

D.V has offered a little more cash then? :D
TreeinWillsbridge
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team