Joseph Mills

All about our First Team

Re: Joseph Mills

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:35 pm

So what was that 23 tweet all about then? Surely must have been Joe Mills related. He could still be signing, unless whoever does the twitter account jumped the gun.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:59 pm

It does say -big news -and in fairness we have had 'big news '
(for me-the goalkeeper signing is more important than what JM may be doing anyway )

yes-the shirt number tease is a bit of a conundrum.

as you say though ,players do 'change their minds ',but i anticipate the signing of JM will be announced tomorrow, as the clubs modus operandi, is to frustrate,edge and then delight ,and it knows a friday announcement would leave most on a 'high' for the weekend ,
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm

michael wrote:As Luke 'proper no 1 ' McGee is 6'4", and neither Ash L or JM (if it were to happen ) are ;this is obviously bigger news . albeit i would be in dreamland if a 6'5" striker could be signed to make even bigger news .

76 inches of Big News today then.

Dreamland awaits :
https://www.dreamland.co.uk/
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Will, you’ve gone a bit quiet. You seemed very sure that Mills was staying. Has it all gone wrong?
Ant76
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bill Shankly » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm

I think now we are at the miracle stage if he is staying....

Anyone disagree now
Bill Shankly
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Agreed .... too quiet .... reckon it will be one of the 2 promoted “local” clubs ... Swindon or Plymouth ?!
T50 BOS
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby chelsearover » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:43 pm

From what I can see, MC has recruited as if Joe was leaving, if he should remain it would relegate somebody to the bench who had been brought in to play left FB, I personally think letting him go now is not a bad thing,
chelsearover
First Team
First Team

Postby UPtheGreen » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:04 pm

I think it’s safe to say Joe Mills won’t be staying on
UPtheGreen
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tj1889 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm

https://twitter.com/TRANSFERNEWSEFL/sta ... 0392597505

Looks like Mills has lots of options. Wouldn't blame him if he went. Would love him to stay :(
Tj1889
Youth
Youth

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Mills to Swindon (or Plymouth)
Shep to Exeter
Grubby to Newport

All good pre season speculation but things need to start happening pre-season training “proper” starts on Monday.
Interesting to see if JM is with the squad or not .... could well be missing due to one of those mysterious injuries picked up whilst filling the car up with petrol. ?!?!
T50 BOS
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:37 pm

Jm is out of contract so wouldn't be training unless he signed a new one.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bristol_Green » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Doesn't sound promising.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ch-4380016

He has been great with us both on and off the pitch.

Like all of us, he ain't getting any younger. If he's got the opportunity to leverage better wages in League 1, you can't blame him for taking it.

Still, he might stay yet.
Bristol_Green
Reserves
Reserves

Postby madasahatter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am

Given the vitriolic way that FGR 'fans' treated his brother, would you want to re-sign?
madasahatter
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am

madasahatter wrote:Given the vitriolic way that FGR 'fans' treated his brother, would you want to re-sign?

That is always a difficult one.
Footballer become partly immune to abuse even in its most extreme form.
I tend to agree that it might affect his decision to move but at same time he knows it was not directed at him and he is well loved by the fans.
The abuse that Matt M received was as nothing compared to Charlie C and his dad is still our manager.
I suspect Joe has already compartmentalised everything and will go to which club offers the best remuneration, as indicated by MC in his interview.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am

From what we read, the ball is in Joe’s court. I don’t think his decision will have anything to do with Matt’s situation

I will be sorry to see Joe go, and his may be a high risk strategy. Lots of players seeking work, loanees to be placed by the pampered Prem & bigger Championship Clubs, League 1. & 2 clubs anxious to reduce wage bills and age becoming an issue.

Joe has been a skipper who deserved respect on and off the pitch. Personable too. His goals were valuable but he was not the best at his defensive duties and his crossing has not been up to scratch.

So whilst he would still be an asset to the squad, he’s by no means irreplaceable . And a lot can happen in a year as Shep’s sad decline showed

Personally, I like the look of the new squad, assembled quickly with focus. The slate is clean for all so let’s hope new and old attacking options gel. Coops now has a good no.2 and that will enable experienced coaching heads to get the best out of last term’s moderate performers

Of course, how soon we get to see these guys is anyone’s guess ...
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 pm

+1
Welcome back Chrisgump11, it would have been a shame for you not to share your thoughts in the final days of the forum.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:58 pm

I think the unscheduled football break did me some good! For those of us of a certain age, this was a reminder of the welcome fallow period between Mid April and September when other sports took over. Seasons ending in late May with friendlies starting before mid summer will eventually kill the goose that lays the golden egg, I feel

I admit, I'd become rather disillusioned with the angst on our Forum and the constant jibes at Dale, Mark Cooper & others.

Heck, whatever our ambitions we are a tiny club. Yet sometimes you have the impression that in some posters eyes Rovers are damned for progressing from the Club of the 90s and at the same time, damned for not being successful enough in current guise. We will never be perfect but the FGR of the 2020s is an innovative, well directed club (much more so than most) steeped in great history, and we will continue to evolve.

We are too small for this constant conflict. It is encouraging that CEO Henry is seeking to improve communications with supporters - there can never be too much of that. Also, I hope Richard Dryden will take some of the strain from Mark Cooper given how stressful events in 2019/20 proved. And Dale will be straining to progress the new stadium & eco park plans which promise so much for the Stroud region. Reasons to be cheerful ... ?

Most of all, I'd like to see the humour & tongue in cheek postings become more prevalent on the Forum. I first became involved because reading the Forum put such a broad smile on my face whatever else was going on in the world. Stanman will be sorely missed but we've long since lost the opinions of guys like Farmacotian, who I know have found the infighting a big turn off

Debate is the life blood of the Forum. Yet humour has always been more effective at persuasion than anger and contempt. May 2020/21 mark the period when a proper smile returned to the Forum
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm

and will 'jokerman' return and reveal his/her true identity ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Game Within » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:44 pm

After listening to Richard Hughes interview looks like JM has turned down a good offer the club made to him.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team