Team News v Halifax (H)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v Halifax (H)

Postby John E » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:49 pm

As previously said, the result was all that counted today! :)

Fleets has found his scoring boots again - at last :!:

Keeps us still in with a shout of the play offs and another 2 home games to follow before we go to Torquay for our biggest BSP away game of the season. (See you all there)

P.S The Mrs wants to go to Wembley to support the Gulls :roll: :oops:
Play the fool, don't be the fool.
John E
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:51 pm

John E wrote:As previously said, the result was all that counted today! :)

Wash your mouth out John E :o

H
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:59 pm

michael wrote:Can't be there today-really annoying.

Hopefully many-incl JH- will stop blaming the pitch now.

The pitch seemed flatter today but was otherwise dreadful with water everywhere. No surprise given all the rain and the groundstaff had obviously worked very hard - tight up to kick off to get the game on. Well done guys.

It was interesting to see us actually play some of our best football in the last 10 minutes when the pitch was most cut up I have to admit. But Halifax had all but given up by then I think. If we can have some respite from the rain the grass should start growing and the pitch will start to improve again but on Tuesday it will be dire again I'm afraid.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Great result today and a decent performance especially: Joner, Lawless, Afful and Fleets who all did well to contribute...

Can we still do it?
KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR
Youth
Youth

Postby Jay » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:12 pm

good performance but very poor turnout from the crowd, i dread to think what it's going to be like against york on tuesday
Jay
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Podgers » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

crowd was probably understandable; weather was awful for an hour/ hour and a half before kick off and having lost to alty last week. although growing, our core support is still small, and a poor halifax team was never going to attract a big following ~ fair play to the 69 fans of theirs who turn up though.

game was over after five minutes, simple as that. halifax knew they didnt have a chance and were content with just keeping the score line as it was. thought jonah was excellent - glad he is one of those already signed on until the end of next season - he was strong and his distribution superb. robbo had a decent game in difficult conditions, but would still start terry ahead of him on tuesday.

fleets really should have completed his hat-trick today, was amazed at his poor touch when trying to go round the keeper in the first half and his skied effort right at the death. dodger looked up for it when he came on, and injected a bit of energy towards the end of the game as it was slowly drawing to a close; i think he is our best winger without doubt.

all in all today we needed the result and got it. the players came out and were really up for it from the off and caught halifax by surprise; they must realise that, any more slip ups and the very slim chance of a play off place will have disappeared
Podgers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Havelock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

So So performance. 3 points. 6 more to go this week. Come on Rovers
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby stroud green » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Jay wrote:good performance but very poor turnout from the crowd

I think it was a combination of the weather, Cheltenham v gas, City v Plymouth, 3 rugby mathches on the box and 3 home games in less than a week. Some fans just don't have the money...
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Havelock » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
John E wrote:As previously said, the result was all that counted today! :)

Wash your mouth out John E :o

H

Mistress Partridge. Whatever is wrong with Wembley. Me, Lady Havelock and the pumped up harry haddock are on our way on 30th March. We will be checking it out for a return come May!
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby Pasty » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:34 pm

A good, solid display today. Everyone played their part and Fleets took the second goal really well and I would not argue with the decision to make him MOTM. Watched from the stand for the first time ever. Quite a different perspective but very enjoyable.

It will be interesting to see what JH does for the next game with both Terry Burton and John Hardiker available.
Pasty
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR casual 1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

A verry good performance and verry satisfying. and us playing 2 proper wingers done us the world of good and Lez had 1 of the best games he has had since he signed and was really running at there defence well and frightened them alot. celi was really alert today and for the 1st time looked like he wanted to play for the shirt which is good to see. it wasent the best performance but it was a huge step back to the play offs and i think if we can win these next 2 home games and a few results go are way we can still do it.

so come on lets get a few good attendances in because the boys need um because are boys deserve better than attendances of 700
FGR casual 1
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FGR Casual 2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Innit we need a bit of atmo innit for our boys yea

safe number 1
No Surrender To The Other Casuals!

We have no name, though others call us CASUALS!
FGR Casual 2
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Sledge » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Embarrassing crowd number but a lot of rugby on today, and a small away contingent. Could some have heard that the York game was off but not that the Halifax game had been substituted? Messages don't always get through.

Good game and I was impressed that we managed to play some passing football despite the pitch. Difficult to choose MOTM except it wouldn't be Stonehouse. All the rest would get 7/10 or better.

edit: Is this really pHpBB? Can we choose different skins?
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby candy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:55 pm

really good lads great game Fleets is back,should have had a Hattrick in first half.Thats 3 points in the bag another 6 points
on tues / fri pushing for fifth spot ,other teams will drop points that for sure 7 or 8 wins to get to wembley I hope so.
Lets hope the Crowd increases on tues/ fri 1000+
Last edited by candy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candy
First Team
First Team

Postby FGRgirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Happy with the win. Thought that all of the players played really well, i chose Stuart Fleetwood as MOTM but it was a hard decision between a few of them, thought that Afful, Jones, Tonkin and Lawless also ad good games, and no one had a bad game today. The crowd today was disappointing, think that the weather probably contributed to the low crowd and also the fact that we have three home games in a week and some will also be going away to Torquay. Dont think the crowd will be much improved on tuesday night, but hopefully it will be on friday. Thought we played quite well today considering the state that the pitch was in.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Lil-miss-fgr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:23 pm

chose man of the match today with my sister and it was a toughie-between afful and fleets but it had 2 be super stu, it was nice to see him looking confident and getting a few goals again!!! :D when i spoke to him after the match to congratulate him for his goals, he laughed and said it was about time. (thought he should have got his hatrich i think) dissapointing attendance today but hopefully a bit better for tues! fingers crossed. thought all the lads had decent games today on a terrible pitch but hardly surprising considering the weather! well done lads. :D
Lil-miss-fgr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:44 am

Yeah - forgot that this was a rearranged game - that probably was another factor on top of the competing footy at Chelts and rugger on the telly. York is another rearranged game and they won't bring many mid week so there could be even fewer than today. I thought we made a decent noise though. Two early goals helps.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bram65 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 am

Despite the poor crowd I felt the day was a good one.

Debating about who should have benn MOTM is always a good sign.

There are many obvious players to consider Les, Joner, Fleetwood etc.... however what was pleasing is that Robbo looked a lot more focused and confident. Lets hope that he now recognises that he needs to be up for it for every game or he will lose his place.
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:31 am

Maybe as JH predicted, a couple of games out of the team has done Robbo some good. He played well yesterday. He made a couple of realy good saves and even the kicks under pressure were effective.

There are three players in the NLP team of the day - Lawless, Giles and Fleetwood. Robbo also scored 8 as did Brough and Welsh. The press didn't have the excuse of the Oxford fans blocking their view this week - I imagine their view was unimpeded by any fans at that end of the stand given the size of the gate! - and I can't see how Giles and Welsh scored that highly. But again, three players in the team of the day suggests a revival.

Interesting article about the contenders for the playoffs too with FGR as 'dark horses'. As has been said elsewhere, our chances will look a whole lot better if we can win the next two games at home (assuming Tuesdays game goes ahead) and a few teams like Weymouth tonigh can do us a favour. I still think we are going to need well over 80 points but with 30 more still available, that is still possible. As the article points out we had a run of 22 points out of 24 earlier in the season so we have to replicate something like that now in the run in - and take some pooints off our rivals (particularly Burton and Ebsfleet) in the meantime.

If I'm honest, although we played well in the first 10 and the last 10 minutes yesterday we rarely looked like play off material despite looking solid all game. But there will be nerves creeping into other like Exeter and Burton whereas we still are underdogs and from whom less is expected. Also, Torquay (and Ebbsfleet who have games in hand) will hopefully be distracted by the Trophy. We have a slim chance still and we have to keep hoping until its all over.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim B » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:37 am

I couldnt be there today but will be down on tuesday.

This is a very important week for FGR, 3 games at home in 6 days, three out of nine points in the bag.

The crowd was low for many different reasons not the least of which would be paying for 3 home games in those 6 days.

The bit about the re arranged fixture not being well advertised could have had an effect but it was certainly on the poster.

Are they still getting put up around the district or is this tailing off ?

See you Tuesday.

Tommo, the Woking game is on Friday, not Saturday, dont miss it !!!
Tim B
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team