Last 10 games

All about our First Team

Last 10 games

Postby Tommo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 am

Looking at our run in it is not impossible to see where the 32-35 points we are going to need to be in contention are going to come from if we play to our top form.

The fixtures at home are:

York
Woking
Burton
Rushden
Ebsfleet.

We can't afford to have any off days there and have to take the points from Burton especially. I reckon if we can beat Burton at home we might get 12-13 points from these. We have to win the next two though to get confidence sky high for the difficult week from Easter Monday. The Ebbsfleet game is going to be tough but maybe they won't be playing for anything in the league by then and distracted by the Trophy.

Away we have:

Torquay
Halifax
Northwich
Farsley
Histon

Obviously, unless we ahve already blown it, the Torquay game will be crucial. I can't stop thinking about how well we did in the second half at Stevenage against a good footballing side and think that will a bit of luck we can get at least a point there. Halifax were average yesterday just pushing balls down the channels and I think we can win there and at Farsley and Northwich despite them being up for a dogfight at the bottom. Maybe Northwich will be down by then. That would leave us flying high going into the last game and anything could happen if we are in contention still.

My predictions in Pitchfork's competition have been consistently inaccurate but - as ever, the day after a win - I feel more optimistic and can see a chink of light in the fixtures above. The great thing is that we have proven that we can win any of them. Doing enough to get to the playoffs is going to require an incredible run but getting 12-13 points at home and then, say 4 wins away to get to 82-83 points will put us close.

When the last poll on this was set up I said no - we can't make it but I did say that we should ask again afetr the Woking game and if we had won the three previous games we would be in with a shout. Now is the time to get back to the New Lawn to see if that is possible.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Last 10 games

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:41 pm

Tommo wrote:Looking at our run in it is not impossible to see where the 32-35 points we are going to need to be in contention are going to come from if we play to our top form.

I rate your analysis more than your maths Tommo. With only ten games to go even Super Stuart & Co couldn't ratchet up more than 30 points!

But 22 is feasible taking us to 80 but this would be a fantastic run in. The others will also need slip ups - Weymouth were looking promising in their game with Burton but with Clough's team having just equalised I think they'll go on to win it. If they do I think they will fill the last play off place.

Burton pulled in 1500 tonight which is only just over 400 more than we did against Crawley on a Sunday night. Still 400 more on the gate is a lot of ££££
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 am

Ooops yes I meant 22 -25 in the first sentence. About 12 at home and about 12 away.

Weymouth were indeed unable to do us any favours tonight. Over 80 is what is going to be required I think.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:50 am

In these few last games the squad really need to pull there legs out and start putting maximum effort in if they want to pull of a play-off place. Teams up for the last play-off place, Exeter ect ect will also be playing better than they've played all season and Harvey will need to get the team playing that great style of football that we saw at the start of the season.
KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR
Youth
Youth

Postby Havelock » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:52 pm

We need at least 6 points by Friday and a result at Torquay. Then when we play Burton we should see if we are ready for it.
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby Freddy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm

If Northwich lose to Weymouth tomorrow night, and we pick up at least a point against York, we are safe for another season, all by March 18th with 9 games to go. Now for the run in, to the play offs.
Freddy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:10 am

I think the bottom clubs play each other enough in the run in -- and so will share points - that we are already safe. Remarkable given our recent history of close escapes. I think we will know by Friday evening whether we can dream of more than safety. 6 points and the hope will still flicker on but any dropped points tonight or against Woking and I for one will stop talking about the run in and will look forward to just enjoying the football and building for next season.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team