Robbo or Tel for next match

All about our First Team

Re: Robbo or Tel for next match

Postby Bulldog Stripes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Difficult to choose when it really shouldnt be the case. Both are great for different reasons. Both make different silly mistakes (which sometimes can happen far too often). Whoever gets in the starting line up I hope the thought of being sat on the bench gives them that extra drive to play out of their skins from now until the end of the season

Im sitting on the fence for this one

Jim knows best 8-)
Bulldog Stripes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Joycie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Grass Cutter wrote:
Joycie wrote:terry burton has done very well when given the chance to play in goal however according to lady magpie's website he has started 5 matches and come on as a sub in one but has been sent off twice. all be it one of them being in the glos senior cup but after being given his chance he seems to have seen red more times than robbo ever has for us. and robbo did well in goal against halifax so maybe warrants another starting place in his next game. maybe terry will have to wait for his chance again despite the fact he is just as good as a goalkeeper.

burton also has started most of the reserve matches

yeah all of them apart from the cheltenham away win i think but he seems to have seen red twice when he has had the chance to get a decent run in the first team - so maybe with a good performance robbo deserves his place back for the time being.
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bram65 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 am

Both are good keepers but both can also turn your hair grey with moments of madness !
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Postby Podgers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:26 am

think burton is the better choice at present, please jim start him today!
Podgers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRgirl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 am

Tis a difficult one this. Robbo tends to make mistakes but had a good match against Halifax, and Burton had a few good matches, kept a couple of clean sheets but then was sent off against Alty. I don't know which keeper i would play. I have a feeling that Jim will stick with Robbo in goal for 2day.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Lil-miss-fgr » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:47 pm

difficult decision for jim today but i think Terry should play instead of Robbo. Yes, he makes some rash decisions but feel a lot more confident with him in goal without the silly mistakes of robbo. both good keepers though. god! i dont no have 2 wait & see this afternoon. agree with FGRgirl think jim will stick with Robbo today.
Lil-miss-fgr
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Well he went for Burton today and Burton probably just did enough to hang onto the shirt for Torquay. I hope that he keeps a clean sheet but I also hope Robbo finds some form and a way back in due course. Burton seems a nice chap but heis eccentricity is going to cost us as much as Robbo's lapses do.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby jamsiep » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Tommo wrote:Well he went for Burton today and Burton probably just did enough to hang onto the shirt for Torquay. I hope that he keeps a clean sheet but I also hope Robbo finds some form and a way back in due course. Burton seems a nice chap but heis eccentricity is going to cost us as much as Robbo's lapses do.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. He organised the wall poorly for their free-kick goal, he rushed out an missed a cross, but was saved as the resulting goal was disallowed, and he fumbled one simple catch.

Although Robbo has made a few costly blunders in the past few weeks and months I believe that when it comes down to it he is a better goalkeeper than Terry, and I would prefer to see him between the sticks than Terry as well.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby Bram65 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 pm

In my opinion both Robbo and Burton look nervous which makes the defenders nervous Halifax being a good example of this.

maybe it is time for a bit of shopping in the summer for a new number 1 !!
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm

jamsiep wrote:
Tommo wrote:Well he went for Burton today and Burton probably just did enough to hang onto the shirt for Torquay. I hope that he keeps a clean sheet but I also hope Robbo finds some form and a way back in due course. Burton seems a nice chap but heis eccentricity is going to cost us as much as Robbo's lapses do.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. He organised the wall poorly for their free-kick goal, he rushed out an missed a cross, but was saved as the resulting goal was disallowed, and he fumbled one simple catch.

Although Robbo has made a few costly blunders in the past few weeks and months I believe that when it comes down to it he is a better goalkeeper than Terry, and I would prefer to see him between the sticks than Terry as well.

I think we probably agree. Not much to choose between a top form Burton and a poor form Robbo I don't think but I agree Robbo is the best prospect medium term. But maybe Brurton will prove me wrong and develop given his chance.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby charles » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 pm

I think we need to give Burton a chance,
He came in for them 3 games and did really well and everyone loved him, got sent off have a ok game today and peolpe hammer him, Come on lads lets sort it and who ever plays get hehind them...
How many chances have we given Robbo,
To many people are hammering our keepers, i still think we have 2 of the best keepers in the league..
Robbo is having a bad time at the min, Burton has the shirt at the moment, so lets give him a chance,

He still not been on the losing side......
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Postby jamsiep » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:31 pm

From what people have been saying it seems like a new goakeeper may be a top priority for next season if we want to build and mount a truely serious play-off campaign.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby stroud green » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:41 am

charles wrote:He still not been on the losing side......

Uhh Altrincham... :?
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:06 pm

I know it doesn't count, but he was sent off at Altrincham before they scored, so while he has been between the sticks he hasn't been on the losing side.

H
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tomb » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:52 pm

I have been fiercely critical of our goalkeepers in the past, but to be fair, we've currently got two half-decent keepers who are not that dissimilar. They both make silly mistakes, but its early days for both of them. I'd stick with the pair of them. Best man gets the job on the day. Why not?
tomb
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sledge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 pm

If JH can't decide, put both of them in the goal
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenmanfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Definitely Terry. His distribution is far better and he makes fewer blunders than Robbo. For me its not hard decision.
greenmanfan
Trainee
Trainee

Previous

Return to FGR First Team