Mark Ellis

All about our First Team

Re: Mark Ellis

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Do we want to sign a player who seems to be needing a kick up the backside, like Brisley apparently does? That immediately sets alarm bells off.

Doubt MC would be shy in giving him one.

You're missing my point, and deliberately so, I suspect. If Brisley seems to have no desire to put in his best for Carlisle, why is he suddenly going to go all guns blazing for us? It sends out dubious messages.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 pm

king giraffe III wrote:You're missing my point, and deliberately so, I suspect. If Brisley seems to have no desire to put in his best for Carlisle, why is he suddenly going to go all guns blazing for us? It sends out dubious messages.

Of course it could be that Brisley has a poor attitude, that continues here and he turns out to be a flop.

However we have signed several players in the past who have hardly excelled at previous clubs and have come with a reputation, including the likes of KMB and Carter more recently, who weren't exactly popular at Barnet or Cheltenham. Both have done well here though.

If he does sign he deserves a chance to be judged on how he does for us, rather then on what's gone on at previous clubs.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 pm

I think the point made is that we are trying to improve our back line and stop leaking goals.

I certainly don't know what brought about a loss of faith at the back line but it's now history.

We need a new centre back paring with charlie going on Saturday and AR seemingly out of favour. I suspect that charlie going wasn't part of the plan. But now we need a new centre back pairing. Now. Or one to go with Ethan. And a spare.

If we pick up a pair and they are well motivated then it's a good thing. Unless others are all lined up.

Drissa looks like he will be in contention as deep cover with game changing qualities.

Dale will be on the right, Sam will be in goal and not sure who will be left back. Marcus against a land if giants probably isn't the answer on Saturday. MM or DW are probable for contention.

Keanu. Woolery. Gosling. Doidge Kelly. Sinclair. Noble. Mullings.

That's a strong squad. And a game winning team.

We are second in the League. Mark Cooper has done a fantastic job so far. He has seen weaknesses and is aiming to remove them. It's created upheaval and blind panic among supporters.

Hopefully the squad and the hierarchy at FGR have cool heads. All are professionals and now need to concentrate on the job at hand.

Personal attacks on players and management are no doubt what everyone feels they have a right to launch. But I don't see it that way.

Did everyone really expect that we are going to walk the league.

Our footballing style aspiration was praised and accepted not 2 months ago.

Stick to the plan Mark and by all means shuffle the pack. What's missing is, well not much. Keep calm and carry on.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Wedge back in contention soon as well.

Arguably you could say the liss of sincs and wedge to injury towards the end of the last 2 seasons had had a detrimental affect on our play off performances. This season hopefully those are now behind us.

Get behind the team and the manager.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:04 pm

We've won 2 of our last 9 league games. That's 2 wins in 1/5 of the season. It's not a bad run anymore, it's a terrible run, you can't deny that timb and paying fans have a right to an answer when it looks obvious from the outside what the problem is. Players are openly not happy and results don't look like improving. Pennock got the sack for a similar run at the end of last season.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm not denying it Tommy ff s. What I'm saying is that confidence is a massive part of football as well as whatever skill level you are blessed with. The players and no doubt many others all read the forum. They see posts that "he's a lemon" 'hes past it' "he's got no bottle" " he's a sulker" "he's only here for the money" so you don't take it personally but it niggles. It does nothing for confidence on Saturday. And that in itself is stating the bleeding obvious.

Many on here want a scapegoat and some are choosing the manager. You think personal comments are your right then fair enough. I don't see that.

We're on a bad run and if you really didn't expect that to happen at some point then you have been Living in la la land.

The thing is don't do your obviously best to drag it all down even further. What's the point in that if you support FGR...

If we're going to get a result on Saturday then get off everyone's back. Not you personally.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Timb wrote:then you have been Living in la la land.

At least La la Land is going to get some trophies this year! :lol:
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:22 am

Timb wrote:I'm not denying it Tommy ff s. What I'm saying is that confidence is a massive part of football as well as whatever skill level you are blessed with. The players and no doubt many others all read the forum. They see posts that "he's a lemon" 'hes past it' "he's got no bottle" " he's a sulker" "he's only here for the money" so you don't take it personally but it niggles. It does nothing for confidence on Saturday. And that in itself is stating the bleeding obvious.

Many on here want a scapegoat and some are choosing the manager. You think personal comments are your right then fair enough. I don't see that.

We're on a bad run and if you really didn't expect that to happen at some point then you have been Living in la la land.

The thing is don't do your obviously best to drag it all down even further. What's the point in that if you support FGR...

If we're going to get a result on Saturday then get off everyone's back. Not you personally.

Tim, it's players and coaching staff who win points, not people who post on forums. The same person you're defending is the one and the same person who publicly criticises his players in the media, not some poxy forum. Don't you see the hypocrisy of your argument?

Cooper is undoubtedly trying to improve the whole squad, not just the defence. However, his idea of improvement seems to be a crazy transfer policy of comings and goings and dropping players. He lost his nerve after the Lincoln defeat and began chopping and changing. He didn't need to do that.

Of course we were going to have a bad run at some point during the season, but when the chairman publicly comes out with his aims for the season, it heightens expectations. Or didn't you read that in the media? On another thread you're saying that a fit SW will mean the title is back on. Which is it? The title or the lower expectation? Make your mind up because, like Cooper's manic transfer policy your messages are as mixed.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 am

And surely, this is the place to discuss all things FGR, players included; good and bad.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

FootieMan wrote:It is the same Mark Ellis who was on loan for 6 matches in 2009 with us from Torquay United.

Sure is.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby montyc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Timb wrote:then you have been Living in la la land.

At least La la Land is going to get some trophies this year! :lol:

Perhaps MC after a Oscar for "How many players you can use in one season", definite winner in my eyes. :lol: :lol:
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:48 pm

I guess my main concern with the defence is that, at the start of the season, nothing was 'broke'. Jefford, Racine, Clough, Bennett - good as they come. Then Pinnock joined them capable of central role, left side or in front of the back 4. Even better.

Surprisingly, out went Jefford for Wishart, favoured for his attacking prowess. Even so, until the Lincoln game, no one could score against us, even with Wishart not tracking back.

Then the knee jerk! Wishart replaced by Monthe, Racine sent to a naughty step in the north, Ethan & Charlie Clough understandably un-nerved. Since Lincoln, the defence resembles a sieve yet Racine is playing his trade in the gym not the 1st team squad. Frozen out

In front of the defence, suddenly, Carter & Traore cannot get a game despite being permanent features of our best form.

Charlie signs an extended contract. Charlie is sold. Frear is discarded amid accusation and denial

So, amid changes and droppings galore, a pairing from Carlisle are being considered for defensive duties? All this to try to get back to a situation we had covered in August. Will they join? How good are they? Haven't a clue

I love the brand of football Mark Cooper aspires to and want him to succeed. His strategy goes through the club from kids upwards & all backroom staff. Great!

But like many at TNL currently, I am confused and disappointed about the way our season has fallen apart and players I have long respected cast aside ignominiously. That does not reflect well on anyone.

And where is the meaningful rapport with supporters - without it, attendances will drift down? The club ignores this growing sentiment, well and reasonably expressed on the Forum, at its peril
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:34 pm

I read that Mark Ellis has now signed. Welcome Mark, hope your stay will be a successful one - you have an excellent central partner in Ethan Pinnock so get to know him well!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Another loan player...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:I guess my main concern with the defence is that, at the start of the season, nothing was 'broke'. Jefford, Racine, Clough, Bennett - good as they come. Then Pinnock joined them capable of central role, left side or in front of the back 4. Even better.

Oh yes!! ...
"Those were the days, my friend,
I thought they'd never end........"

What a strange couple of months we have just gone through.
I'm quite bothered about what might be going on behind the scenes, after a couple of conversations at the game yesterday.

Also - surely players chat not only amongst themselves, but between clubs as well including of course those who have departed. Does an approach from "money-bags" FGR with their infrastructure and different playing style still excite potential signings, or will it do exactly the opposite if we don't get our own house in order soon?
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:11 pm

tommyd wrote:Another loan player...

Too many loan players is never a good thing.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Long term loans are not a lot different to permanent signings at this level, the 4 loan signings are all here till the end of the season, which is as long as a lot of the contracted players have left too.

Ellis has played a lot of games in the football league, including 81 games in league 1 for Crewe, who are renowned as a footballing side. He was well thought of at Torquay before that and is a good age. Looks a decent signing.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

You do realise that all these comings and goings of player, secret contacts and mysterious happenings around the New Lawn and the league is all for one reason: Jilly Coopers new novel about a football club, it's all in the surname.

Well that's my thoughts.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:47 pm

tommyd wrote:We've won 2 of our last 9 league games. That's 2 wins in 1/5 of the season. It's not a bad run anymore, it's a terrible run, you can't deny that timb and paying fans have a right to an answer when it looks obvious from the outside what the problem is. Players are openly not happy and results don't look like improving. Pennock got the sack for a similar run at the end of last season.

Wasn't George Smiley's assigned assistant called Fawn?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Long term loans are not a lot different to permanent signings at this level, the 4 loan signings are all here till the end of the season, which is as long as a lot of the contracted players have left too.

Ellis has played a lot of games in the football league, including 81 games in league 1 for Crewe, who are renowned as a footballing side. He was well thought of at Torquay before that and is a good age. Looks a decent signing.

The issue with loan signings comes down to whether they want to be at their temporary home. We saw all too well under Alan Lewer and Hockaday what happens to certain loan signings and short term signings when they're in a fight. It isn't their problem if they don't succeed.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team