Mark Ellis

All about our First Team

Re: Mark Ellis

Postby camel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Aside from the fact that it's completely against the philosophy shared by MC at the start of the season.

Four out of XI players on Saturday are likely to be on loan. Seems too much to me, especially for a promotion push.

Fans build an affinity with their club largely through the players they watch. The connection is important and we just don't have that now.

Good luck to the new lad though and I hope serves us well. It's certainly not his fault that the club is seemingly a bit unsure of where it is going at the moment and I'm sure everyone will give him a fair go.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:And where is the meaningful rapport with supporters - without it, attendances will drift down? The club ignores this growing sentiment, well and reasonably expressed on the Forum, at its peril

In the past CP did a great job communicating, reassuring or at times setting the record straight when fans expressed concerns, or rumours about things going on behind the scenes were rife. Would be nice to see someone from the club with similar gravitas doing that on a regular basis now. It certainly helped calm things down.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Where oh where is Aaron? Part of the best defensive line we have ever had.

Absolutely no communication from the management, which leaves me feeling disenchanted and increasingly as if our contributions as supporters have little value.

I was excited by MC's open brand of football, a philosophy of entertainment that initially brought a smile to our experience at the Lawn. The first half (plus a little) of the game against Lincoln was the best football i have ever seen in all my years of support.

Now a deafening silence and a growing sense of chaos which I am sure will be solved by signing someone who can't get into a team a few places above us.

ME has now signed and wish him all the very best at FGR and that he proves me so wrong.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby dursleydog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm

And now racines gone on loan again, this time to Torquay til the end d of the season.
What a waste of an excellent player with so much to offer us in a potential promotion push.
Good luck to him, he deserves to play week in week out and advertise himself to league clubs, deserves a big move as much as Charlie did Imo. Certainly deserves better than being frozen out here.
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cats whiskers » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Hope the new man doesn't get dizzy to easily!
cats whiskers
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
In the past CP did a great job communicating, reassuring or at times setting the record straight when fans expressed concerns, or rumours about things going on behind the scenes were rife. Would be nice to see someone from the club with similar gravitas doing that on a regular basis now. It certainly helped calm things down.
[/quote]

Thank you kindly for those words. It takes all sorts to be part of the framework of any football club. Ignore the fans at your peril was always a maxim of mine. Having said that we didn't have many so you couldn't after ford to lose any. As I tend to watch what goes on now from distance it would be wrong of me to pass further comment.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:

Thank you kindly for those words. It takes all sorts to be part of the framework of any football club. Ignore the fans at your peril was always a maxim of mine. Having said that we didn't have many so you couldn't after ford to lose any. As I tend to watch what goes on now from distance it would be wrong of me to pass further comment.[/quote]

I interviewed Dale this evening. Hope to get something out later or tomorrow. Been a busy day.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Welcome to FGR mark. Keep calm and carry on.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Timb wrote:Welcome to FGR mark. Keep calm and carry on.

And ignore stuck records.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Three pages on a loan signing yet one of the best players since I started watching FGR in 2001 doesn't even have his own thread.

Wishing Aaron Racine all the very best. Remember him brought in by Dave Hockaday as a trialist on the team sheet and has gone on to be one of the best players to ever wear the shirt. In my top five for sure.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 am

twoguns wrote:Three pages on a loan signing yet one of the best players since I started watching FGR in 2001 doesn't even have his own thread.

Wishing Aaron Racine all the very best. Remember him brought in by Dave Hockaday as a trialist on the team sheet and has gone on to be one of the best players to ever wear the shirt. In my top five for sure.

Top 5 defender certainly. I agree with the above but welcome Mark and hope he is motivated to fill Clough/Raccines' shoes
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TheFarmcotian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 am

Really impressed with the club's youth policy now. When I turn up next time I'd appreciate a tannoy announcement telling me who these players are. If both teams were to swopkit before the beginning of the match I'd have trouble knowing which team I was supporting.
Time is but an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.
TheFarmcotian
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Stuck on FGR.

And the Ramones. And the Ramonas.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgrbob » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Who? Watched FGR since 2001 don't remember him
fgrbob
Youth
Youth

Postby Amber SUFC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:I guess my main concern with the defence is that, at the start of the season, nothing was 'broke'. Jefford, Racine, Clough, Bennett - good as they come. Then Pinnock joined them capable of central role, left side or in front of the back 4. Even better.

Surprisingly, out went Jefford for Wishart, favoured for his attacking prowess. Even so, until the Lincoln game, no one could score against us, even with Wishart not tracking back.

Then the knee jerk! Wishart replaced by Monthe, Racine sent to a naughty step in the north, Ethan & Charlie Clough understandably un-nerved. Since Lincoln, the defence resembles a sieve yet Racine is playing his trade in the gym not the 1st team squad. Frozen out

In front of the defence, suddenly, Carter & Traore cannot get a game despite being permanent features of our best form.

Charlie signs an extended contract. Charlie is sold. Frear is discarded amid accusation and denial

So, amid changes and droppings galore, a pairing from Carlisle are being considered for defensive duties? All this to try to get back to a situation we had covered in August. Will they join? How good are they? Haven't a clue

I love the brand of football Mark Cooper aspires to and want him to succeed. His strategy goes through the club from kids upwards & all backroom staff. Great!

But like many at TNL currently, I am confused and disappointed about the way our season has fallen apart and players I have long respected cast aside ignominiously. That does not reflect well on anyone.
And where is the meaningful rapport with supporters - without it, attendances will drift down? The club ignores this growing sentiment, well and reasonably expressed on the Forum, at its peril

Ben Jefford is getting some stick on the Sutton forum. It is hard to believe a player who did well for you should find it hard to get into our team. What is your honest opinion on him?
Amber SUFC
Youth
Youth

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Ben struggled a bit under Ady Pennock, although James Jennings was always first pick.

After Ady left, he became more regular. A traditional footballer with good pace and some intelligent play. He became considered better than James Jennings by most on here too.

I'd have him back in the team like a shot.

Having said that, you all loved Dan Wishart, and he has had his struggles here. He gets his critics here, although I for one am really impressed with him and when he's on form, he's brilliant.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm surprised, Ben was highly motivated and keen to work on the gaps in his game. He had strengths but the manager believed he wasn't good enough to have a regular place in a team that was aiming for promotion.

To be fair, it looks like Mark Cooper was correct but the FGR left back position has seen many changes over the course of the season.

One of Ben's replacements has been Dan Wishart who came from Sutton has also lacked consistency. We are a team that scores goals but have leaked too many, often because crosses come over from the right.

You've had an impressive season both in the league and cup, all the best for the future Amber SUFC
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Amber SUFC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Many thanks for your kind comments. Dos has a lot of faith in him. Hopefully, a good pre season will help him settle in.

All the best in the play offs guys, hopefully you will do it this time :-)
Amber SUFC
Youth
Youth

Postby Foggy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Having said that, you all loved Dan Wishart, and he has had his struggles here. He gets his critics here, although I for one am really impressed with him and when he's on form, he's brilliant.

I like Dan but at times he frustrates, I would like to see him use his pace and take on his defender a little more often when he overlaps the midfield, then get a cross into the box. This seems pretty standard for a left sided defender, as we got from the likes of Jennings, Stokes and going back a few years Paul Stonehouse. He seems more interested in cutting infield than staying out wide and, of late, his distribution has been pretty good and lead to a chance or two. I see him as a player who is still developing, nowhere near the finished article, but if he reaches the levels expected of him when he signed then we will have a very good player.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:31 pm

But now M/C is playing 2 wing-backs, right and left, having dispensed with out-and-out wingers That must be the toughest call for he and Dale to do that. Especially in this league.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team