Team News v York City (H)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v York City (H)

Postby madasahatter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Last nights game was three points given away.

I haven't heard JH's post match interview, but he has to shoulder a lot of responsibility for the outcome.

York came out and fielded 5-4-1 - our response was to play the first half 4-4-2. That just beggers belief. We had our front two coming against a 'wall' of five players, no wonder they struggled to penetrate. Meanwhile at the back we had periods where the back four were shepherding their lone striker. York thwarted any attempt of wing attacks by covering both flanks. On the few occasions that York broke forward their midfield swamped the penalty area and on at least two occasions had four in the box with only three FGR defenders in attendance. No wonder every time York ventured into FGR's penalty area they looked likely to score.

The second half was completely different, take one of the back four off and put on another forward. Your then playing 3-4-3 - what a difference. Three defenders looking after their lone striker and Les causing havoc breaking through the line of five. If we had played the same formation from the start I feel York would have been completely overun.

I noted some criticism of individual players, but given the formation we've gone with they've done what they could .... and wouldn't you agree that the individual performances improved when the system changed?

Football is often about hard work and endeavour but games can often be won or lost by the ability to count. So next time we come across a team that plays one up front don't have four marking him. When we got 'tucked up' by Salisbury we were told we would learn from it - on last night's set-up we haven't.

Now for my carping criticism. Lee Dodgeson, can you get some clarity around your positional play. When FGR are attacking conventional wisdom is to stretch the defence by exploiting the flanks. Why? Because it frees up the 'middle' for the front two to penetrate, plus you tend to be an unmarked outlet if the ball breaks to midfield. Several times last night you ventured into the penalty area bringing with you York's defensive cover, all that does is to congest the penalty area, making scoring opportunities harder. Pulling wide and dragging a defender with you will free up more space. I know you want to score, but sometimes pulling defenders out of position allows your team mates to secure 'the prize' - after all it's the 3 points that count.
Last edited by madasahatter on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby Nick Tanner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm

I can't comment on the first half of yesterdays game as i only just got there in time to see thier 2nd goal rippling the back of the net, but second half the play seemed all down the other end, we just didn't really get in the right places on the edge of the box.
York were a well organised outfit who weren't by any means the best team we'l play this season, but they did stick to the gameplan, and it worked out for them. Patient play and frustrated us into mistakes.

Referee once again seemed a little off the pace, but that's noe excuse at all, we weren't clinical enough and haven't been for some time.
I'm not usually one to slate the lads, but so far in 2008 the football we've been playing has been verging on boring at times (by boring I mean it hasn't grabbed my attention for long periods) and I wouldn't be suprised if this isn't the reason for a few fans not returning as they have,

This could be the mid-table mediocrity we've all been dreaming of for so long, who knows.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Nick Tanner
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Joycie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:36 pm

maybe we need mark beesley back to break down other teams defences. looking on the cambridge united fans forum there is a certain comment from a chris vessey:

"I'd happily give him a piggy back all the way back to Forest Green.

What a waste of money."
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Tommo wrote:The crowd of 734 certainly was disappointing. I can't really understand why the crowds have dropped off so dramatically - ince January really. I thouught it was because some of the games have moved around and some have been televised but I did expect a few more last night - despite the recent rearrangement of the game.

Rough head count in the Rockwool put at a dismal approximation of 130, whilst the old codgers in the Western stand appear to make up a more consistent supporting element week in and week out. Conclusion: The Rockwool contingent provides the more fickle supporter of the two camps?

PS P/F:

I was a bit concerned that Green Lantern referred to you "as he/she points out". My dear chap, are you planning a gender re-alignment operation in some exotic far eastern country?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sam b » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 pm

[

Rough head count in the Rockwool put at a dismal approximation of 130, whilst the old codgers in the Western stand appear to make up a more consistent supporting element week in and week out. Conclusion: The Rockwool contingent provides the more fickle supporter of the two camps?

To be honest there seemed more than 730 there last night and the Rockwool seemed alot busier than the Oxford game.
You have to remember that the side of the Rockwool had around another 150-200.

The ground looked far busier than the Grays match last year when the attendance was given as 780 so I am not sure how accurate the counting system is, maybe it was just me but there did seem alot more than the figure given.

That said it was a poor gate and it must be demoralising for the players as they come out to see such a crowd! Unfortunately we as a club are like any other at the moment and has its large share of more FICKLE supporters. The main problem at the moment however seems to be the lack of expenditure that people have and many clubs are witnessing very low attendances at the moment. :cry:
Sam b
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:11 pm

A disappointing night , but really to get into the playoffs you need consistency, and we just haven't had that. We have looked good in some games, and good in snatches in other games, but we looked very ordinary against Stafford (twice), Droylesden (twice) and Altincham, and that just isn't playoff form.

However it is a sign of just how far JH and the BOD have taken us this season that we are even discussing it as a possibility. To go from "perennial struggles" to play-off aspirants in one season is amazing, and if we can keep the bulk of the team for next season with a few improvements then anything is possible.

I'm not surprised crowds are down with games being moved, sometimes more than once. Next season we need to be sure that if a game is re-scheduled then the change is given maximum coverage - local press, new posters etc.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Turnking » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:19 pm

Joycie wrote:maybe we need mark beesley back to break down other teams defences. looking on the cambridge united fans forum there is a certain comment from a chris vessey:

What a waste of money."

Any player at this level is for £7,200 pcm including Mr. I'm earning a Fortune West, frankly.
Turnking
Youth
Youth

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:27 pm

[quote="Fartvs Antiqvvs
PS P/F:

I was a bit concerned that Green Lantern referred to you "as he/she points out". My dear chap, are you planning a gender re-alignment operation in some exotic far eastern country?
[/quote]

A far eastern country sounds tempting looking at the weather forecasted for Easter - especially since I'm heading east only as far as Croydon to see the in laws!

As for gender realignment, no, I am rather looking forward to having two balls under my avatar at anytime
Last edited by Pitchfork on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Blimey they've just descended as if by magic - I've become a youth!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sledge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Blimey they've just descended as if by magic - I've become a youth!

LOCK UP YER DAUGHTERS!! :o
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby kevindhollywell » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Joycie wrote:maybe we need mark beesley back to break down other teams defences. looking on the cambridge united fans forum there is a certain comment from a chris vessey:

What a waste of money."

Well he was chuffed when they got him so let him go and suck eggs
kevindhollywell
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sledge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 pm

It's a great thread though. The truth is finally dawning on them, Beesley needs an awful lot of patience
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Dougal wrote:Total lack of movement, forcing Clist, Brough, etc to pass it backwards [rather than hoof if forwards and lose possession]
*** although many of the crowd seemed to groan at passing it backwards willing a hoof - very weird. Maybe with five minutes left on the clock launching it aimlessly is worth a go, but I heard groan after groan in the 1st half. In my mind possession is nine tenths of the law!***

Good point. There does seem to be a bit of a conflict in the crowd. We want the passing game but then, as you say, there was moaning whenever the ball went backwards. Sometimes it has to go back to come forward and I agree that possession football is better to watch - and better for our results given the players we have - than hoofs up field. We need patience.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Toffeeman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:47 pm

What a fickle bunch some of you are, York did well, give them credit. Two bad goals again, free kicks happen but we must sort a decent wall, he was 30 yds plus out. Still a long way to go,others will have bad days as Tonkin did but get off his back, he and the team have done miracles this season. Jim knows the players and he has done well on a limited budget. We won't get better players than we have on our low crowds . It seemed as though some fans wanted us to get beat and just came for a laugh . you know who you are , stick to golf.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Just a thought on low crowds, easter weekend, 3 games this week and a away game on easter monday which i know a lot of people are going to, money wont aloow all those games so maybe people gave 1 or 2 homes games a miss in order to go to torquay, we'll find out when we see how many are they're monday.

On another note, although we've got little to play for but pride this year, the fact we expected to beat york as well as oxford and were disappointed when we didnt just shows our progress this year and gives us a solid base to build on.
Jay
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:20 am

Tommo wrote:
Dougal wrote:Total lack of movement, forcing Clist, Brough, etc to pass it backwards [rather than hoof if forwards and lose possession]
*** although many of the crowd seemed to groan at passing it backwards willing a hoof - very weird. Maybe with five minutes left on the clock launching it aimlessly is worth a go, but I heard groan after groan in the 1st half. In my mind possession is nine tenths of the law!***

Good point. There does seem to be a bit of a conflict in the crowd. We want the passing game but then, as you say, there was moaning whenever the ball went backwards. Sometimes it has to go back to come forward and I agree that possession football is better to watch - and better for our results given the players we have - than hoofs up field. We need patience.

Yes but back passing as we did, in our own half without forward movement and 2 goals down achieves nothing against the clock. Very nice when you are leading by 2 goals!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Tuesday night was dissapointing, with a static display in the first half. Much better in the second. Keep playing Celi, he got himself in a number of good positions and the plan B option with him on the pitch brought us back into the game where super Stu couldnt quite do it.

Hopefully we will get a good result tomorrow and get some kind of miracle with opposition results. We still need to turn in a good run to guarantee our best ever finish, if not we could end up 9th for the second time in our history.

See you at Torquay on monday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team