Team News v York City (H)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v York City (H)

Postby Bulldog Stripes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Feel slightly better that we at least tried to make a game of it for the second half. But we were far to slow out of the starting traps and again poor passing along with costly errors has lost us the game.

Oh well all that can be said now is lets build on this for next season
Bulldog Stripes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Yes, just back and the disappointment is settling in but at least we made a good go of it in the second half. You could seee the players knew it was last chance saloon and they threw everything in to it. It just wasn't enough on a day when we had no luck. Jonah was tremendous and thank goodness the MotM choosers got that right. He was a 9/10 today and hardly put a foot wrong. Pity others weren't at their best - Tonks, Welsh, Robbo and Clist all a bit below par.

Robbo made a couple of good saves but one or both of the goals were at least partly down to him. I'm not sure anyone would have reached their free kick goal but was the wall lined up right? And having spilt the shot for the second I thought he would save the follow up.

Unlucky with the two hand balls but our crossing wasn't good enough to turn the sustained pressure into goals. We deserved something though. Ah well..... hit the bottle..... it won't feel better tomorrow hangover or not....
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:13 pm

We didnt play well, but neither did york and i thought we edged it overall, we gave them 2 goals, 1st the wall was positioned incorrectly and the second was spilt by robbo (although dipping and bouncing infront of him), he shud of parried it out for a corner instead of trying to catch it. Tonkin wasnt on it today, afful made a huge differene when we came on and i felt we at least deserved a point, 2 or 3 blatent handballs missed, which definately 1, maybe 2 of were in the area, and they werent hit from point blank range. The ref was truly shocking all night and this was summed up by him disallowing fleetwoods goal, anybody know what for?
Jay
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRgirl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Just got home from the match, dissopointed with the performance, although we did play a little better in the second half, dissapointed not to come away with at least a point, what exactly was that goal dissaloud for? :evil: Think that if we played to our potential we could have won this game quite easily, didn't think York were very good at all. We just gifted them the goals, an unnecessary free kick to concede and yet another mistake by Robbo. Anyway thats the playoff dream over for this season, just sit back and enjoy the rest of the season and build for next season now.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Old Git » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Just got in from the game totally gutted. They just were not at the races first half. With the exception of Jonah who shone out like a beacon the whole side were poor. JH must regret now playing Robbo whose error again cost us dearly. I hope every league scout in the country was there tonight watching Tonks. He had a mare. He is usually Mr consistent and a class act, but any scout watching him tonight would never come back. Ish Welsh who also has started his spell at the lawn so brightly was also poor. First half he had a couple of runs to the bye line only to hit a shocking cross into the crowd. To JH's credit as we often knock his substitution choices, at half time he went on the attack bringing on Les for Gilo and things did improve markedly. Celi's finish had a hint of luck about it that we deserved. SSF hit a cracker only to have it disallowed for offside. We also had a great penalty shout for handball. You just had a gut feeling that it was not our night and so it proved to be. I will miss the next 2 games over easter but I think I can hear the fat lady clearing her throat. They will certainly need to improve dramatically to beat Torquay!!!
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Joycie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:32 pm

another flat evening at the new lawn and play offs are gone. i think thats it - although you'll hear me saying they are reachable if we win on friday...! there was a routine of playing it back then smashing it up to no one tonight - we've done that a lot this season but tonight it was just so repetitive. their first goal was either the wall not doing there job properly or a sublime free kick. perhaps a mixture of both. and robbo with another mistake - worse thing for keepers trying to keep hold of those low shots but just when he gets his place back he makes a mistake. maybe terry will be back in again. it will certainly be goalkeeping yo-yos by the end of the month. rigoglioso finally got a goal after lots of efforts that went wide tonight thanks to a deflection and i fleetwood's goal looked fine - was there a handball? he was very frustrated tonight but fair play to him - he was still defending in the bottom corner in stoppage time. thought tonks was unusually off form tonight and looked tired. meanwhile as mentioned joner was outstanding at centre back and he was also on saturday. maybe he should stay there for the remainder of the season with lawless at right back who was also decent tonight. thought it was the right decision gilo was taken off as i could see him getting a red in the second half. disappointing but still plenty of the season left to try out new things and to hopefully scupper some chances of other teams reaching the play offs as well as pushing them all the way - and our highest ever finish as well.
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 pm

First game I’ve seen for a few weeks now, and it don’t get any better. How can we seriously build for next season when were severing up rubbish like tonight? There’s a certain resigned look about too many players.

Joner was the only plus. And even he was guilty of getting caught too far up field.

The warning signs were there, defence stranded up the pitch twice before Hardiker gave away a free kick in a very bad position. The second we just backed off until the guy was within shooting range.

Tonkin was terrible tonight, balls astray everywhere. The central defenders should both be replaced at the end of the season. They don’t inspire any confidence.

Robbo should have done better for the second goal, but really the defence had already let him down. Can’t see how he will keep his place nest season.

We were just unable to break down there defence. They all worked very hard and did enough to keep Fleets quite. Celi scored but really his contribution was zero otherwise. He's simply not at the races, no point in keeping him at all. Welch was no better unable to get passed his man.

Only Les caused them any trouble in the second half, but still no descent ball in to the area. Lots of hopeful balls forward which were mostly lapped up too easily.

You have to wonder how we can build from this. I can only assume Jim as given up for this season. On the evidence of the last three months we need half a new team for next season.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRgirl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Agree with what is being said, Tonks had an absolute shocker. Thought that Jonah had an excellent game, and deserved MOTM, no one esle came close to it. Although i do think that Fleets had a good game, a number of times in the game he was the only one running around and trying his best, shame to see his goal dissaloud.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Francorigo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:03 am

"Celi scored but really his contribution was zero otherwise" - Quote Greenstripe

4 Goals in 4 Games = Contribution Zero - ???????? Muppet! :D
Francorigo
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:14 am

I don't agree that it was a flat evening or that the players looked resigned - at least not until the final whistle. I thought they all tried real hard - some to more effect than others.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby charles » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:37 am

What can i say we where shocking in the 1st half, its the worst ive seen for a long time,
but to be fair we played a lot better 2nd half, maybe a little unlucky to get all 3 points.
We had the chances and a better REF we might of had 3 pens and Fleets goal would of standed.

Tonks and Clist where poor , and the rest was not far behind,
only plus was Johna, Fleets and les who all played really well.

NOW FOR THE GOALS

1st goal a 30 yard free kick, bent around the wall past a slow diving Robbo " my mum would of got down quicker"

2nd was another mistake, not the best of strikes which Robbo should of caught, but didnt and spilled it, and even the follow up shot he should of done better.

I think Jim should of kept Burton in goal, hope he gives him a good chance to get the number 1 shirt back.
speaking to a lot of the fans they also say Robbo is no longer the number 1 goalkeeper at the club......
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tomb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 am

Just back from the game. No complaints. We were beaten by a much better side. Yes we had a goal disallowed and yes we could have had a penalty, but overall, we were second best. York wanted to win much more than we did. Also, too many of our players went missing. Broughie is still not doing enough. (In fact, we had no midfield at all in the first half). Celi is still flattering to deceive. Robbo, you did so well on Saturday, but not tonight. Les, keeps falling over. Tonks, unusually had a nightmare. He couldn't trap, pass or tackle. Bad day at the office, move on. In the first half, we were like rabbits in a headlight . . . dazzled. In the second half, we got to the races, but a bit too late. Jonah was the shining light. Definitely MOM. He refused to be bossed! Welsh did ok. He was asked to do too much by the fullback. Nobody else supported him. (To be fair to the fullback, nobody else was interested in helping.)

My only real gripe about the night was the continuing theme of banging the ball up to the forwards who cannot trap, or head a ball to save their life. Tonight they were up against a well organised, big, resolute defence. Fleets is not interested in contesting high balls. Celi should be, given his height, but he has signs of beesleyitis. He jumps and ducks at the same time!

Overall, I'm not dismayed. We should beat Woking on Friday. If we finish above our best-ever 9th position, it will have been a successful season. We have a good manager. We have tasted the 'high life'. Maybe next year we might get to the play-off places? The only question is? Do enough people care. Only 734 did tonight!
tomb
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sledge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:00 am

Reminded me very much of earlier games we expected to win during the 'good times', (Farsley, Grays) but didn't because the other team did their homework and sussed out our game. Halifax didn't do that, York did. Fleetwood was man-marked throughout and when we did try to play the ball on the ground every pass was intercepted.

Just another typical second-half-of-the-season performance. Saying we can still make the play-offs infers we'll earn the right to play in League 2. Who would want to see us playing in League 2 like that?
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sledge » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:05 am

Francorigo wrote:"Celi scored but really his contribution was zero otherwise" - Quote Greenstripe

4 Goals in 4 Games = Contribution Zero - ???????? Muppet! :D

He's a bit like Big Dave in that respect. You wonder why he's on the pitch then he pops up and scores.

His mincing's getting worse, though :?
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:27 am

Sledge wrote:He's a bit like Big Dave in that respect. You wonder why he's on the pitch then he pops up and scores.

I think Big Dave was probably more consistent. Who knows though, maybe one day Celi will get the opportunity to score a goal like that one against Chelsea!

T
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am

tomb wrote: We were beaten by a much better side. Yes we had a goal disallowed and yes we could have had a penalty, but overall, we were second best. York wanted to win much more than we did. Also, too many of our players went missing.
Overall, I'm not dismayed. We should beat Woking on Friday. If we finish above our best-ever 9th position, it will have been a successful season. We have a good manager. We have tasted the 'high life'. Maybe next year we might get to the play-off places? The only question is? Do enough people care. Only 734 did tonight!

There is a lot of understandable pessimism around and as another day dawns most people will still be saying "if only"

However tomb has it right and his full report is a fair reflection of the players and the match. York were far stronger and better organised than when we played them at the Kity Kat stadium in August. They were tighter at the back and took their chances. That said, we could have been 2 up in the first 15 minutes and we we the better side by far in the second half. I know its goals that win matches but there was some clever football and there is a good foundation for a team that can improve next season. Our football is better than it has ever been, we just need everyone to be on top of their game when it counts....and in the last few games several players have looked weary at times when 90 minutes commitment and drive was required.

Jonah was immense last night: he ran, he tackled, he was reliable in the air and almost faultless in his passing. He was head and shoulders above most of the others. Few others impressed individually but Fleets, Lawless, Hardiker, Afful and Clist had decent games. By their own standards Broughie, Tonks, Welsh were disappointing. Shelley is getting there and could have scored a couple more last night .... at least he shoots! Robo does not inspire confidence and he flaps around unnerving his defence. I liked his brave header out in the second half but I'd go with Burton on Good Friday.

Don't get too despondent..........we're only in our first full season with JH.....we've had a taste of success, more will come our way.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 am

I've been dissappointed with Celi recently as well. I saw his hattrick at Weymouth and his goal last night. While it is true most of us would be happy if he went through the season scoring a goal a game. It is also true that he is not playing well in his all round game. He is struggling for form and his distribution and movement is poor. If he could sort that out and keep the goals coming we really would have something to shout about. Most of us saw him as the natural successer to Beese, but he's a different type of player and the team has had to change to accommadate that.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 am

The crowd of 734 certainly was disappointing. I can't really understand why the crowds have dropped off so dramatically - ince January really. I thouught it was because some of the games have moved around and some have been televised but I did expect a few more last night - despite the recent rearrangement of the game.

Just as the players need to keep their heads up as they gio through the motions of the last 9 games so we need to show our commitment to seeing the season out in style by turning up. My worry is that since the playoffs realistically slipped out of reach in January, the potentail home audience has given up on supporting the team in mid table. That would be worrying for the finances but also potentially for next year unless JH and the team can surpass themselves again.

The core support does see to have stabilised at about 600 - 200 or so up on 2-3 years ago. But we need to continue to encourage the peripheral supporters to get along more often again. It is still going to be fun watching the team play in the sun on an increasingly flat (I hope) pitch without fear of relegation for a change. I just hope the team don't give up trying to win now the overall purpose is beyond reach.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Lantern » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:42 am

I think Pitchfork gets it exactly right - now is not the time to be downhearted. As he/she points out , we are still in our first full season under Jim Harvey and it looks like being our most successful to date. Some of the football we have played this season has been beautiful to behold , some lovely intricate passing movements that take the breath away ! Admittedly ,we still resort far too often to the " lump it down the middle " style of old , but all in all , I think it's been a magnificent season , especially when you remember the predicaments we usually found ourselves in at this time of the season in previous years. And who knows , the season still could get even better , there are still plenty of precious points to play for. Providing J.H. can keep the majority of the squad over the close season ,even strengthen it , then I think this season will have provided a solid platform for the next campaign. This season has certainly raised the level of expectation for FGR supporters - long may it continue.
Green Lantern
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:24 pm

I agree Green Lantern but I'm starting to feel that those increased expectations are leading to lower crowds when they can't quite be met. We were getting crowds well over 1000 when we were in with a hope of the playoffs - something that for many was an unrealistic expectation at the start of the season - but now that hope has slipped away, will the crowds still come and watch a team in mid table. I really hope so because I also agree with your points about building on the platform of this season as we go into next but the money won't be there for improvement the Board aren't confident we can match or beat our average gates of this and last season. I thought that we might gradually increase our base support so we could get over 1300 as an average next season but the last two months have led me to doubt that.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team