Music before game

All about our First Team

Music before game

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am

I have an appointment during week with Dane V concerning next season's away travel.
While there I'm tempted to ask him to authorise that 'I'm a Wild Rover' be played before every home game.
It was sung at Wembley and seems appropriate to be adopted as the fan's song at TNL in recognition of that glorious occasion.
The club has 'Jerusalem' as its theme and I'm not suggesting that it be removed but only that 'I'm a Wild Rover' be played immediately beforehand.

But I need opinions for and against before my meeting.
Please let me know if I should go ahead.
Thanks
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Music before game

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon May 22, 2017 1:20 pm

At least you can sing along to The Wild Rover. Jerusalem is a fine song, but a bit of a dirge for just before a game of football.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:I have an appointment during week with Dane V concerning next season's away travel.
While there I'm tempted to ask him to authorise that 'I'm a Wild Rover' be played before every home game.
It was sung at Wembley and seems appropriate to be adopted as the fan's song at TNL in recognition of that glorious occasion.
The club has 'Jerusalem' as its theme and I'm not suggesting that it be removed but only that 'I'm a Wild Rover' be played immediately beforehand.

But I need opinions for and against before my meeting.
Please let me know if I should go ahead.
Thanks

Great idea Tom but which version? I know you're meeting DANE but .I'd go with the Pogues versionh (and i think DALE V would)
check out the three main versions:

The Pogues “Wild Rover”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afO3IQX2Qnc

Dropkicks Murphy “Wild Rover”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afO3IQX2Qnc

Dubliners “Wild Rover”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4KboYi40I
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only known collective of football poets in the World" BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16500 football poems published.
Football Poets http://footballpoets.org & https://www.facebook.com/FootballPoets/
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Mon May 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Wild rover is a sound idea, if another club hasn't nicked it already, people might even feel inclined to sing it during games an not just at the start...we want something individual and original (My old mum says hands off Jerusalem, it belongs to the WI).

While you have Dane's ear, so to speak, can you ask him to knock the goal celebration music on the head...it is widely loathed, for adding nothing to the match atmosphere. and in any case is readily identifiable as the signature tune for another team.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Timb » Mon May 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Colin Peake's version is better. :ugeek:
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm

God no don't do it please. Stick to what ever it is we have now. Wild rover is god awful

If your going to ask him anything ask him to get two huge flags made for ball boys to wave before the team comes out and when we score. Put then either side of south stand goal they do it at Arsenal and Chelsea it works well
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners Jnr » Mon May 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Ned wrote:I would say no.

It is Blackburn Rovers' anthem.

It's also the mighty Clarets tho we change the words

I went to an ale house I used to frequent
And I saw tony Mowbray his money all spent
He asked me to play
And I answered him nay
Said rubbish like yours I could beat any day
And it's no nay never
No nay never no more
Shall we play b@$+@rd rovers
No never no more
Geronimo!!!!!!!
Greeners Jnr
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 pm

The Wild Rover is already used elsewhere, not too keen on copying them like we have with the Palace goal music and The "Green Devils" branding.

If anything, an original club anthem would be better.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm

We are the Rovers and are therefore entitled to use it. No one has come up with anything better.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SimonC » Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 pm

The Dropkick Murphys version of 'The Wild Rover' was tried once before many moons ago. I made the original suggestion and Peakey ... err shall we say... "picked it up and ran with it." It died of the usual FGR apathy after a few weeks. The same will almost certainly happen to any other song.

But if the club really wanted to project a ultra-left wing image aka St Pauli, then 'Workers Song' by the same band would fit the bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRO1s8NcB8&list=RDDqRO1s8NcB8

Incidentally back then the DKM's were a little Celtic Punk band from Boston that no-one had heard of, these days they're massive. Their 'Shipping up to Boston' song has had 72 million hits on Youtube and is used as the intro music for the Ireland Rugby team at the Aviva Stadium (Lansdowne Road) in Dublin and for the Boston Redsox at Fenway Park. So maybe I knew something after all!
SimonC
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm

SimonC wrote:The Dropkick Murphys version of 'The Wild Rover' was tried once before many moons ago. I made the original suggestion and Peakey ... err shall we say... "picked it up and ran with it." It died of the usual FGR apathy after a few weeks. The same will almost certainly happen to any other song.

But if the club really wanted to project a ultra-left wing image aka St Pauli, then 'Workers Song' by the same band would fit the bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRO1s8NcB8&list=RDDqRO1s8NcB8

Incidentally back then the DKM's were a little Celtic Punk band from Boston that no-one had heard of, these days they're massive. Their 'Shipping up to Boston' song has had 72 million hits on Youtube and is used as the intro music for the Ireland Rugby team at the Aviva Stadium (Lansdowne Road) in Dublin and for the Boston Redsox at Fenway Park. So maybe I knew something after all!

Good to see you back on here, long time no see, online or in person! All you had to do in response to OTC was write 'wheel invented, etc'. Newbies, eh? ;)

FGR can't project a true ultra left wing image. It's got the most middle class support imaginable. As you say though, the song has been used before and failed miserably. I'd suggest 'Write it all Down' by Citizen Fish but most people wouldn't get it!
king giraffe III

Postby Kentstripe » Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm

SimonC wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRO1s8NcB8&list=RDDqRO1s8NcB8

Plus "State of Massachussetts" became pretty well known as the Nitro Circus theme. Good band.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Kentstripe wrote:The Wild Rover is already used elsewhere, not too keen on copying them like we have with the Palace goal music and The "Green Devils" branding.

+1 Agree plus anyone who wants to drop the green devil tosh gets my vote

I'm with Foggy on ditching the goal music completely, it's awful, especially over the FGR speakers.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby GETCARTER » Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

I think " The Wild Rover " could be an excellent choice.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Please no!. Something by the Wurzels would be better than that!
Anjuna fam
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Ned wrote:May I suggest something by The Levellers would fit our club?

One Way of Life, The Boatman, The Road.

Or something by Frank Turner or Billy Bragg?

I'd personally be against the Wild Rover given a choice. We're not an Irish club and the song is already used by a few other clubs.

The Levellers is a great idea and probably suits DV's sensibilities. 'One Way' is a very well known track that anyone can sing along to. A big Stroud valleys favourite from back in the day.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Stewjacksam » Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm

No to the wild rover = tired old hat!
The jerusalem theme whilst annoying is now well known at FGR leave as is
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Said it before, say it again. "Swords of a thousand men" by Tenpole Tudor.
Rousing and a laugh, (especially if we order 1000 inflatable lime green swords).
Ooray ooray ooray aye! Over the hill...etc.
You know it makes sense....
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby rallyrover » Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 pm

I have to agree with andymac26.
Tenpole Tudor, its fast, lively and its easy to sing along with.
Would make great goal music.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... a8Cez6aQdQ

The intro could be played as background while Rich Joyce is announcing the goal and then a short section at full volume.
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit.
rallyrover
First Team
First Team

Postby andymac26 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 pm

rallyrover wrote:I have to agree with andymac26.
Tenpole Tudor, its fast, lively and its easy to sing along with.
Would make great goal music.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... a8Cez6aQdQ

The intro could be played as background while Rich Joyce is announcing the goal and then a short section at full volume.

Hear our triumph! Hear our roar! We gonna drink a barrel or much much, more! Ooray ooray aye, over the hill went the swords of a thousand men.
Inspirational, rousing, references the hill....and it's a belter for the drummers.
What's not to like?
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team