Richard Joyce made redundant?

All about our First Team

Re: Richard Joyce made redundant?

Postby Green Devil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

stanman wrote:Joycie tweets:

"Richard Joyce‏ @RichardDJoyce 14h
After 19 years as a fan, 3 a volunteer & last 3 working full time I'm leaving FGR this week. God bless the good people. Be true to yourself."

A legend at the New Lawn in his own short life time. Thanks loads Richard - it just wont be quite the same but hope to see you there from time to time.
Good luck.

I'm not a tweeter but I am intrigued by Joycie's choice of words here - is there a hidden message? Who are the bad people and has there been untruths spoken. Ooh conspiracy!!

I haven't seen any official website announcement. Are we referring to WillFGR's earlier post or perhaps Ash's SNJ references.

In any event with the Joycie tweet it seems official so good luck to the lad, I sincerely wish him well.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby John Whiffen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Like everybody else, I couldn't believe this "rumour" could possibly have been true until the announcement yesterday, it still seems impossible that our friend to everyone is leaving his post.

He has enriched all fans with his tannoy announcements generating a superb atmosphere that we have never had before.

Many thanks for your contributions to FGR, the fans and away supporters Richard, I sincerely hope that you continue to visit and support the club in the future.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Green Devil - FGRWills post seems to be pretty much verbatim to the actual release elsewhere, so I believe it is the official wording.

I was intrigued by the wording of the tweet too and subsequent replies to ex players. It all could be innocent, but you could read between the lines a little too.

I can't comment on Joycies situation but I have heard other stories from reliable sources about treatment of players etc. It does worry me and it is not the way to conduct any form of business, including sport. It is all to easy to attract bad reputations and it does impact on recruitment.

I still maintain that keeping a happy dressing room is the biggest challenge for this season without the ongoing window. I hope MC delivers.

The club sets itself as a beacon of change in the football world and it does invite scrutiny and I think that should include how we handle tough decisions and treat players etc.

On the point of the club not being here without DV, that may well be right. I am a strong supporter of what he has done and quick to defend his record. But I don't think it means his decisions should always go unchallenged.

Though success brings change, personally I think letting Joycie go is an unfortunate outcome. He was liked by young and old and as a fan turned volunteer turned employee who loved the club he was someone fans could identify with and his enthusiasm was infectious. It will be tough to replace him. Potentially, for a heavy hitting PR guru we could have to wait three months for them to serve their notice...will we be without a PR man for that long or is someone lined up already?!
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jokerman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Richard Joyce lived for his job at Forest Green Rovers.
He gave it his best selflessly and his enthusiasm was obvious to every supporter.
For whatever reason the management made his position untenable and have issued a statement to placate everyone who knew Joycie.
It is improbable anyone will stop supporting FGR because of this 'kick in the teeth' for one of it's own.
But the light in which we look on this action is for the individual to decide.
For most it's a case of ruthless & business etc. Move on.
I personally know how dismayed I was when this news broke so God alone knows how the man himself was feeling.
He will survive of course he is a 'top bloke' but no doubt the scars will take a while.
That's the problem when one has been around the club since the year dot,we all know everybody.
The sea change happening at FGR now is moving away from that,it is no longer a small club.
Dale Vince has brought huge success to FGR and his manager Mark Cooper has achieved the crucial step up to The Football League.
But do I have respect for the way the club have treated Richard Joyce...none whatsoever.
As camel summed up...'' This alongside how some of the players have been treated leaves me somewhat underwhelmed ''.
I shall still stand in line of course because Forest Green Rovers is my club.
Kangaroo Cup..Cheque Book Trophy...ummmmmm.
I used to care but things have changed. Haven't they just Joycie.
I wish you well my friend.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Lovely words, jokerman.

Sums it up perfectly.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Equinox » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Excellent post Jokerman, you have summed things up superbly. Green Devil, your post to is worthy of note also.
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby mauler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Good luck Joycie top bloke very genuine.

A career is a long time so you never know what can happen years hence.

Best wishes
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby bobhunt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 pm

" Where's Joycie?"
That question was inevitably asked every home game in the press area as something needed to be sorted.
Where are the team sheets? What's the Wifi code?
How many times has Noble started this season?
Where's this new bloke come from?
Questions always answered quickly and with a massive smile, even though he had twenty other duties to fulfill.
Hopefully he'll still pop up on the commentary team from time to time, but from Billy and myself; thanks for the fun and laughter and massive good fortune for you in the future.
bobhunt
Youth
Youth

Postby Timb » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Still shocked by this especially the 'explanation'

Joycie's learning-learnt his craft and is an asset to FGR. A supporter through and through and a professional. The best possible combination.

Very sorry to hear the news.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

What an unexpected conclusion to an odd series of events.

More to this than we have seen.

Seems like his agent has worked hard on this!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RJBora » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:10 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:What an unexpected conclusion to an odd series of events.

Wrong thread, perhaps?
"Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic." ~ Tryon Edwards, 1891
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby greenstripe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Best of luck for the future Joycie. I hope things work out for you.

You’ve been a great credit to the club.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby candy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Good luck Joyce, you couldn't do any more for Forest green a true hero. All the coach trip's around the
country having fun. Your knowledge will take you far. I hope you come to forest green matches this season.
As in my eye's you are the best. Good luck in your future.
candy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm

bobhunt wrote:" Where's Joycie?"
That question was inevitably asked every home game in the press area as something needed to be sorted.
Where are the team sheets? What's the Wifi code?
How many times has Noble started this season?
Where's this new bloke come from?
Questions always answered quickly and with a massive smile, even though he had twenty other duties to fulfill.
Hopefully he'll still pop up on the commentary team from time to time, but from Billy and myself; thanks for the fun and laughter and massive good fortune for you in the future.

This is personally how I'll remember Joycie most, (having to often rely on the radio commentary). The double act with Bob was always entertaining, whether it was train spotting at Aldershot, Joycie spilling his tea, the discussion on what biscuits he'd managed to snaffle, or tales of why he was 10 minutes late due to traffic.

It's funny. The ecstasy at Wembley, a major goal achieved, a great club and great ethos going places. But tinged with the harsh reality of how increased professionalism and progress inevitably has some casualties. Onwards and upwards - for us and the irrepressible, fantastic Joycie.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:05 pm

RJBora wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:What an unexpected conclusion to an odd series of events.

Wrong thread, perhaps?

Yes, Sorry. Noble thread!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm

I don' t buy into this idea that we need to change things because we are now in League 2. We are a family club and have grown with that ethos, what could be better than keeping things as they are , and growing gradually with what we have. We can all grow together and keep those treasured values - values that many others strive for. Ultimately, you will no doubt find that things are not better, but have changed for changed sake.Be it on your conscience.........
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Joycie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Well said Joycie. Keep calm and carry on.

See you soon hopefully.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey, Joycie! Thanks for that précis. Outstanding example of the younger element striking out for the future of the next generation. Your next employment is assured and expect a press headline in the not too distant time regarding your progress.

From one old Fart to a shining beacon of Youth.

Antiqvvs/Gordon.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Lovely words Richard, from a lovely man. An inspiration to us all, young and old alike.
All the very best for the future. I really do hope that we can stay in touch.
John.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team