Les
Smith
Dodgaon
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Re: What will the team be against Woking

Postby batty_aka_legend » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:06 pm

for a start i would drop Celi and welsh , there both performing well under par and they arnt playing good enough. Bring in dodge for welsh , if we had another left bk i would drop tonks too but still., play 4-5-1

Burton

Johna Giles Hardiker TOnk
lawless brough pitman clist
Fleet Afful

would be my team , the play offs are gone and these players need 2 start realising their place isnt a dead cert and they need 2 perform 2 keep it. Terry Burton may act like a clown but its only Robbo playing like one......
Dont Follow me, follow FGR !
batty_aka_legend
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Joycie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:11 pm

i would stick terry burton in goal following a mistake by robbo on tuesday but i would really hope terry would think hard about just playing it safe and not making rash decisions and then he can focus on keeping his place until the end of the season. celi may not have given a good overall performance recently but to be fair has scored a few and it would even further a chance of himself and fleets getting some sort of relationship with each other seen as it looks unlikely anyone else will.

burton
jones hardiker giles tonkin
lawless brough clist welsh
rigoglioso
fleetwood
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Toffeeman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Same team hopefully,Robbo is No. 1 and should stay in. Anyway Jim will pick the team and won't be influenced by anything on here, he knows both players and will pick the one he thinks will do best. The play-offs are still in sight think of us coming from below you just never know.
Toffeeman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Robbo

Joner gilo hardiker tonks

afful brough clist welsh

lawless

Fleetwood

subs-

burton
preece
dodgson
celi
pitman
Jay
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Connor Heaven » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:06 pm

i want Burton to be in goal but i think robo will be

robo

tonks giles hardikeir jonah

whelsh clisty brough afful

dcb fleets

mabey celi instead dcb :roll:
Connor Heaven
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FGRgirl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm

I think the team will be something like this

Burton
Tonkin giles hardiker Jones
welsh clist brough lawless
Celi
Fleets

With Robbo, Dodgson, Afful, Stoney and Pitman on the bench.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:22 pm

There isn't an obvious starting eleven at present and this is reflected in the variation of teams on this thread. Interesting everyone keeps Tonks in their team despite his 'mare' on Tuesday.

Despite Afful's 2 impressive perfomances coming on from the sub's bench I'd still not start with him and give a Shelley another go. I'd like to see Pitman there at the kick off as he's been one of our most reliable players in the last few months - if having him in the team means leaving out Broughie or Welsh so be it.

As for the keeper, I would love to see Terry in again: much as I want Robo to succeed he fills me with the eebie jeebies as a supporter - so the defence's confidence must suffer with him behind them.

York was always going to be a really hard one to win, tomorrow we should have the better of Woking.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Burton
Jones Hardiker Giles Tonkin
Afful Brough Clist Lawless
Celi
Fleets

Is what i'd choose..
KoofcaTobin-Of-FGR
Youth
Youth

Postby FGRgirl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:10 am

[quote="Pitchfork"]There isn't an obvious starting eleven at present and this is reflected in the variation of teams on this thread. Interesting everyone keeps Tonks in their team despite his 'mare' on Tuesday.

Tonks did have a shocker on tuesday, but would still have him in the team, as he's been pretty consistant and played well most of this season.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Postby tomb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:04 am

Don't understand why Pitman isn't playing? Is he injured? He's been pretty consistent recently.

I'd go for:

Burton (sorry Robbo, but despite your Halifax performance, you dipped against York)
Jones, Hardiker, Giles Tonks (poor game on Tuesday, but hopefully a one-off)
Pitman, Clist, Lawless, Welsh (I'd drop Broughie, bit of a headless-chicken recently)
Celi (still not convinced, but very few other options?)
Fleets

Anticipating 3-1 win against Woking.

Looking forward to my Pukka pie. Catering staff depleted tomorrow. Senior member of staff away on a dirty weekend in Ilfracombe apparently!
tomb
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:45 am

I would go with the team that finished on Tuesday. I'd have Afful and Dodger on the wings. I'd leave Gilo out and play Lawless at the back but would keep Robbo.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:44 am

Tommo wrote:I would go with the team that finished on Tuesday. I'd have Afful and Dodger on the wings. I'd leave Gilo out and play Lawless at the back but would keep Robbo.

Ii sounds attractive Tommo but our midfield always suffers when we play two wingers.Having said that I wont be disappointed if Les starts but who to leave out? If it was Celi, he never seems to be an impact player when he comes on from the bench

As for Lawless at the back please no. He is our most creative player at present both from open play and dead ball kicks. He can defend but he isn't as reliable as Jones, Hardiker, Giles and Tonks
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Podgers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23 am

Burton
Jones Hardiker Giles Tonkin
Lawless Pitman Brough
Celi Fleets Dodge

Robbo's got to go now, theres no replacement for tonks, dodge was one of our best performers before his injury nightmare, and we've got to give celi the same chance we gave beesley

i think we will turn them over quite convincingly; 4-0. have we lost yet when terry's completed the game?
Podgers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bram65 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:37 am

Les must start he seems to be the only effective attacking palyer other than Fleets
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Postby greenstripe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:34 am

I’d like to see Les start today, playing out wide. Yes he does fall over (Don’t water the pitch) but he usually scares defences to death (Before falling over). Seriously he always gives the team a lift when he comes on. But if we do start him he needs to be used a lot to make it worth while. Often when he does start we don’t use him. But with Joner and Lawless around him he should get the support he needs.

I know April the first is not far off but I’d like to see what happens if we had a tall target guy up front with Fleets. As Gilo is the only player that is tall enough I’d give him a go up front. (Never going to happen I know but we do miss this option) Celi too immobile to play that role.

It’s not easy picking a balanced side when we have too many wingers and so few midfield options.

Robbo
Jones Preece Hardiker Tonkin
Afful Lawless Pitman Clist
Fleets Giles
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Beardy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am

I Think it shoul be.

Robbo

jonna,giles,hardiker,tonks

lawless,clist,broughie,dodge

afful
fleets

subs: burton,celi,pitman,welsh,preece

I liked afful in that postion against halifax he made the runs and postioning that beasley did celi goes way to deep for the ball he needs to be in the hole between defence and midfeild. Give dodge a run he looked ok against kiddie in jan and hasn't had much chance since. Just worried about the height up front.
Beardy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 pm

I'd start Burton in goal. For my money, Robbo has cost us a lot of points in the last 10 or so games. I know this is 'Non-League' football and we can't expect Gordon Banks in goal but we haven't lost when Terry has played and I think there is something in that which is worth exploring for the rest of the season.

Jonah must play at RB - he was excellent second half v York at CB but we would miss his storming forward runs. Gilo and Hardiker at CB and Tonks LB. Think criticism of Tonks is harsh, he has been one of our most consistent players and everyone - EVERYONE - has a bad game occasionally.

Midfield is where the biggest conundrums lie. Two wingers? Which two then? Have any of them ever shown themselves as REAL match turners/winners? Can we fit Brough, Pitman and Clist into the same side or does this mean Clisty being pushed to LM where he is less effective? For me, Lawless is nigh indispensible at RM, a really improved all-round player this season IMHO. Clist is our best CM IMHO but needs a tough-tackling accomplice. I would also like to see one winger in the side to give some added pace, help spread the play and make the spaces our passing football thrives on.

Up front its a case of SSF and...? I would persist with Celi - for now - as we all know how good he can be and although he hasn't consistently shone recently, I think he is showing signs of getting back to his best and having a regular partner for SSF is essential. I just wish he would challenge a bit harder sometimes....

So; Burton; Jones, Giles, Hardiker, Tonkin; Welsh, Brough, Clist, Lawless; Rigoglioso; Fleetwood.

To my mind, the two players whose places are most at threat would be Welsh (From Dodgson) and Brough (From Pitman).

Another option would be to play a 'narrower' midfield of Lawless/Brough/Clist with Welsh and Dodgson playing as 'wide attackers' supporting SSF, on the grounds that all 3 have pace and tricks. This would rely on good ball from midfield though rather than long, hopeful punts.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:24 pm

SkunkMan wrote:I'd start Burton in goal..........we haven't lost when Terry has played and I think there is something in that which is worth exploring for the rest of the season.

Except when he gets sent off....

but I like the ida of 4-3-3 with Brough, Clist, lawless in midfield and two wingers supporting Fleets. Maybe that is worth a try sometime but I don't se JH changing the overall shape today.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team