An unpredictable season ahead

All about our First Team

An unpredictable season ahead

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 am

As we end the first month of the season are we any clearer on our prospects for the next 8 months? Do we know how good we are? Have we weighed up the quality of the opposition we will face over the next 40+ games?

In the first half of our seasons in the sunny Conference, it was almost a struggle. Bottom line was to aim for 50 points, anything up towards mid table was a source of pride. We peaked in 2007-8 under Jim Harvey with 71 points and an 8th position, then it was just about surviving for the next 3 seasons.

From 2011 - 2014 we we consolidated, 10th,10th,10th - both on and off the field we were improving, crowds rose every year and we began to dream of the football league.

Then we became one of the favourites for promotion and fans felt confident tipping us for a play off place, which we achieved 3 years running. In the prediction competition those years, we needed a tie breaker as almost everyone forecasted between league winners and 5th.

Onto 2017-18 and there is a range of expectations from those in the prediction league: only greeners junior has thought it necessary to use the tie breaker option with his 12 games lost.

Those in red are not in the official competition

4th Fartvs Antiqvvs
5th Candy
6th Freddy
7th Greeners Jnr (12)Football Poets
8th smertens07929
9th Sparky (16), NewForestRover (13)
10th Voodoobluesman
11th Redunited (18)
12th John Whiffen (14) Timb (19)
13th Linfield (16)
14th Pitchfork
15th Old Tom Cat
16th onlineracingclub, Greeners (15)
17th Tommo (20), Urban Spaceman (18)
18th silver surfer skunkman
19th Roy of the Rovers, Tommyd
Giraffe

So no-one yet has forecasted relegation. It has only happened once in our 129 year history - 1955 when we went down with Ross and Wotton! Our president John Duff, only missed one game all season.

Mid table looks the most popular prediction, but with play off places extending down to 7th this season some think we are in with a shout.

Whether you want to predict or not what are your thoughts as we enter September and play another 7 games in league football?
Last edited by Pitchfork on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: An unpredictable season ahead

Postby mauler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Dunno. Feel like a fishing float trying to guess how much lead to attach to float on the surface. Expect lower third but safe. Might still land a whopper though.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 pm

I honestly wouldn't like to guess.

If it clicks we will be well safe before the season is over.

If MC doesn't learn from last year, we will be in a fight. Cooper has only ever lasted longer than two years at a club twice: once as a player, once as a manager. Will he find us forever home with us this season or bite the dust before January is out? I honestly couldn't tell you.

One thing is for sure, I will support the players fully on the pitch and enjoy the ride as much as I can.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 pm

19th to bottom at the time the January transfer window opens. After that, I don't really know at present.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:30 pm

I'd take staying up by one goal (been there done that, I know, yawn). I don't think we'll go down, maybe finish 15th-21st. Which would be a huge achievement
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am

king giraffe III wrote:19th to bottom at the time the January transfer window opens. After that, I don't really know at present.

Haha. Yes, it is, as the title of this thread suggests, unpredictable. I feel pleased with the results of the latter part of the transfer window having strengthened defence (Roberts) and replaced Woolery and KMB (Randall and Gomes). But most other teams have done a lot of business too - much of it for money and with more experienced premier league team loanees.

The key is going to be MCs man management now. Can he get the best out of these ingredients. He ultimately did last year after a few ups and downs. He needs to repeat that so we at least survive comfortably.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:54 am

I'd rather take a ride on a Camel than on a Giraffe !!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Football Poets » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 pm

FOOTBALL POETS PREDICTION 7th

Really sticking my neck out...bedcasue i look at away fixtures going by our first two forays and think which can we win..?

we do need to build a New Lawn fortress again ...strong home fom to win most and draw a few e would help keep us up ...
which makes the Exeter and Lincoln games massive..
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Given the way we have started, the number of new players, the lack of depth in central midfield and the inexperience of many of our young players, I would say anything top half is an achievement.

I don't think we will be anywhere near the Play Offs. I see us finishing roughly where we are now.

I think 18th.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Based on what Ive seen so far we will struggle but can you really base anything on so few games? All we can say so far is that its going to be very tough every week so it really depends on weather the players are up for a fight or not. in my opinion this league may have been underestimated by a lot of people, me included.

My guess at the moment is 19th
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:27 pm

GETCARTER wrote:I'd rather take a ride on a Camel than on a Giraffe !!.

Get off me, freak.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi
I don't think any season for any team is predictable, it's hard enough trying to predict 1 game ahead.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
I don't think any season for any team is predictable, it's hard enough trying to predict 1 game ahead.

It could be argued it's getting easier to predict, especially with 3 tough games coming up. We are now bottom of the league and bottom of the form table with 20% of the season gone. No-one would dispute it is tough going, time travelling back to the relegation dogfights of the Conference days in the early noughties. No it's not an enjoyable ride, but I'd still rather be in this division than battling to get out of the National League. We are where we are and it's a huge challenge. I commend the large crowd Friday night and the volume of support coming from both the South stand and the seats. This needs to be maintained on match days.

Hardly anyone is on record claiming it would be this tough - either because the L2 standard would be so high or our squad would struggle to perform well enough to hold their own. True many were over optimistic, but it's new territory and we were predicting our performances based on how past 5th tier promoted teams have done this division.

Looking at Notts County, Coventry and Swindon's early results League One is likely to be another big jump in standard.

I remain in the optimistic camp. Like everyone I can see the mistakes, the weaknesses and the frailties, but I can also see improvements in recent matches and a lot of determination. Some players are not playing to their potential, but against Swindon, Traore and Bennett were amongst the best players on the park and I still maintain Gomes will develop into one of the most exciting signings ever. Defence is looking better, midfield needs to up its game so lonely Doidge gets better opportunities and more support.

We must have at least 20 points by Christmas, is that attainable? Only if the green shoots of recovery continue. This will depend on the ability of our new signing Isaiah Osbourne, key players remaining injury free, the squad remaining determined and together and the successful management of the team.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:24 pm

When we were at near the top of the National League a couple of wins hardly made a difference to our league position. At the bottom a couple of wins will make a much bigger difference.

I too am in the optimistic camp for the reasons you state Pitchfork but also because it's a bit miserable being too downhearted having made the step up.

Accrington at home is where o think we might get something next. But some of the joy of football is that no one knows
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:41 pm

God knows what is going to happen...........
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Return to FGR First Team