Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Earl wrote:It seems what mattered most to Cooper and Noble after another defensive horror show was to have a go at the crowd for ironically cheering off a player who most agree offers very little to the team.
Get over it Cooper, I suspect booing your own players happens at every football club.
I don’t agree with it and is only possibly justified if a player is lazy and clearly not trying. The one thing you can say about Cooper is that he never stops trying. It’s not his fault his dad picks him to play each week.
He’ll never understand why fans are angry so nothing will change.
Cooper should stop obsessing about the crowd and concentrate on recognising his own failings and make the necessary changes.

Did you listen to either of MC's interviews? He spent the majority of both talking about the defensive failings and how we need to improve, and only brought up the crowd reaction when asked towards the end of both. On the BBC he even praised the fans who stayed positive.

His main focus definitely seemed to be about the team's failings rather then anything else.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Earl wrote:It seems what mattered most to Cooper and Noble after another defensive horror show was to have a go at the crowd for ironically cheering off a player who most agree offers very little to the team.
Get over it Cooper, I suspect booing your own players happens at every football club.
I don’t agree with it and is only possibly justified if a player is lazy and clearly not trying. The one thing you can say about Cooper is that he never stops trying. It’s not his fault his dad picks him to play each week.
Cooper should stop obsessing about the crowd and concentrate on recognising his own failings and make the necessary changes.
As for the north terrace, the obvious solution as has been pointed out was to give the away fans the north stand and a section of the west terrace.

This stuff about what's said on the terraces is just an excuse (players say and do worse to their fellow professionals each and every week). More than that, for Noble to get in such a huff is totally tinpot. Right or wrong it happens at every club, from Arsenal to Little Piddington Reserves.

If it's getting to CC then perhaps Snr has to question whether he is doing the right thing by playing him week in, week out. All said, perhaps a bit of siege mentality, 'us staff against the world' may do some good.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Kentstripe wrote:

Did you listen to either of MC's interviews? He spent the majority of both talking about the defensive failings and how we need to improve, and only brought up the crowd reaction when asked towards the end of both. On the BBC he even praised the fans who stayed positive.

His main focus definitely seemed to be about the team's failings rather then anything else.

I think he/she was referring to the touching father-son moment than any interview, although I may be wrong. It was Noble who was getting his underwear twisted in his interview.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:09 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Martin Toms wrote:I still personally think it's wrong a National League Official posting his comments and opinions on here, not very professional last season while we were in that league and I don't think it changes now we are not

Dear Mr Toms
I do not have a clue who you are. I do not have a clue who you think I am. But I will defend my right to say what I like, within reason. Read on therefore and perhaps knowledge is the key to sensible discussion.

For the record I joined this club when it was about to fold in 1991. It was called Stroud FC. I with others rescued it and over the years with determination and planning brought it up through the leagues fighting many battles along the way. In recognition of my service of 20 years I was made a Life Member. I am also a shareholder, albeit like many who bought shares when it mattered, they are no longer valuable because of the huge investment made by the Ecotiricty Group. (A good observation by the way and not a bad one).

Accordingly I think I am well positioned to pass comment and rightly entitled to be able to do so. And before you challenge my right I suggest you read my posts in detail and understand what I post. My detailed post earlier in this thread is my judgement of what I saw and heard. My analysis is also based on over 40 years in the professional game and operating at this level. So what I see and from what I know on all sides, I can form a sensible opinion and debate it thus.

One thing I do not do, unlike many who did yesterday, was to boo and even worse applaud in a derisory fashion, combined with what I see as pointless chants of players who are not involved in the club. Plus 'You're not fit to wear the shirt'. I understand frustration but does it help the situation? But that is my opinion and has nothing to do with whatever else I do in my life. What a strange life it would be if we had such censorship.

I do not personally abuse or criticise players or management. That bears no fruit on the vine. A constructive observation is valued but just slagging off players in writing or doing what I saw and heard yesterday does not.

In football time will be the master of who plays or stays. It is not, never has been or never will be, the call of the fans however much they shout.

I despair with the bland type of posts one has to read, hence my comment of 'Oh dear'.
And I even despair more when posts are deleted by the moderators because that really scrapes the barrel.
Another reason why I post 'Oh dear'.

Good morning to you or not as the case maybe! As they say across the pond "Have a good day" although for some it won't be according to the path of Hurricane Irma.

Well said CP, with you all the way. Suppose we gotta keep the faith even in times such as these.
Onwards & Upwards, New Stadium, New Division. Come on You ROVERS
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:11 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
camel wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:It's ok just enjoy the ride

Yeah, that statement really made me mad.

It is not an enjoyable ride in any shape or form watching Cooper flounder, blaming fans and seeing us get thrashed every week! :evil:

Who said that?!

Tree-Hugger, to be fair to Tree-Hugger although his views are on the complete opposite spectrum to mine, he is a fair poster and does debate with you rather than just censor views like some people on here.

Thanks - but Don't think it was me FGR-Ledge.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Sorry matey.

It was another fan on here.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Very strong opinions being expressed so I will keep my own strong opinions to myself.

What I will say is that another very senior team member, apart from Noble, told me that Cooper jnr is probably one of the hardest working players at FGR.

I'd also add comments by Paul Tisdale, manager of Exeter that I read in the Sports Independent:

"I reckon Forest Green will be all right because they move the ball nicely and have some good players. They applied good pressure late on and made us work hard."
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:42 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Very strong opinions being expressed so I will keep my own strong opinions to myself.

What I will say is that another very senior team member, apart from Noble, told me that Cooper jnr is probably one of the hardest working players at FGR.

I'd also add comments by Paul Tisdale, manager of Exeter that I read in the Sports Independent:

"I reckon Forest Green will be all right because they move the ball nicely and have some good players. They applied good pressure late on and made us work hard."

So, OTC, onto the important question: who won the warm-up?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I've said it once, I'll say again. Charlie Clough and Ethan Pinnock...2 outstanding players who have never been replaced. You can't blame them for wanting to play at a higher level I know. Keep the faith everyone. I'm still leaning towards 'we'll probably stay up...just'
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Jaceyboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:01 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Very strong opinions being expressed so I will keep my own strong opinions to myself.

If Cooper jnr is indeed the hardest working player at the club, then it doesn't bode well... both for himself hitting a glass ceiling or the other players who need to work harder.

How can he improve if he's already working as hard as he can. Whilst admirable, he clearly isn't good enough.
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Jaceyboy wrote:

If Cooper jnr is indeed the hardest working player at the club, then it doesn't bode well... both for himself hitting a glass ceiling or the other players who need to work harder.

How can he improve if he's already working as hard as he can. Whilst admirable, he clearly isn't good enough.

You misquoted original message.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Jaceyboy wrote:

I don't get why people think CC doesn't try. He does, he's pretty much everywhere, even if I don't think he's anywhere near the standard.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I agree the 2 players we miss most are Pinnock and Clough, Ellis not far behind. We are crying out for a leader in the centre. Think we have to move Bennet inside for his leadership qualities and maybe play Evans RB. Most disappointed with Laird so far.

Would also bring Nobes back to def mid and use Bugiel as the link with Doidge and wingers. Tues is massive. Shout out to the south stand, lets support much as poss, up to Jan little can be done. Do agree with majority of opinions on here but creating a poor atmosphere won't help.
Least the players and MC know we are not happy.

Lets support all match on Tues, however frustrating it may be.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby garyjj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I will never slate Charlie Cooper for his attitude or work ethic the guy is a try hard and shows passion each game, I think he's lacking a bit of confidence and I believe he needs a rest but Cooper snr keeps playing him. I admire him for the effort be puts in but I simply don't think he's good enough.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Whoever said about Pinnock aand Clough

Hit.Nail.Head. Especially Pinnock.

Last year during our bad run we lost Clough and Pinnock and the result was ...well..a horrendous run. Laird and Collins, on paper, great signings but it's just not clicking yet. Pinnock will be exceptionally hard to replace.

There were positives - high possession, shams goal was solid and the second half looked sturdy against a team stronger then out own and more established as a unit. There are seeds of good in this team just need some.more time together.

What the team does need is a loyal fan base. They were nervous today. At home. That's never acceptable. I worry about the attitude of the fans. There are a lot of people on here who I honestly think that they want Cooper to fail. I don't know why. He got us promoted. You can say all you like about other managers and the cosy crew before but they failed. The players released? Lovely, hard working...but didn't get us up. Cooper did. On the way, we've had some fabulous football that frankly any neutral would have enjoyed to watch.

Yes it's a learning curve - and a big one. Why did any fan think that a club in its first time in the league would be any less then a fight has more to do with Dale made the mistake again of overshooting expectations ( see " I guarantee to go up as champions"). Yet are people that panicked that they are calling for a managers head after loosing to the team that is 1st after loosing the play off final (and, interestingly a team that this time last year was in 24th?!). Two very well established managers in this league have spoken highly of FGR - maybe let's take this into account.

Frankly, Cooper is due some loyality from us as a fan base. Heaven forbid that the players and management expect some support from their fans especially for the fact he just got the club to the football league.

I used to support wolves. When Dave Jones got Wolves to the Prem their was nothing but support for him even though the wheels came off before November ... and respect for the fact that he had done what others had failed to do prior. Can't believe what I'm hearing . Get behind the lads!!
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

It's the fans fault, they gave away three of the worst goals you are ever likely to see at this level!

The fans did it, not the pathetic defending.

Bit too much blaming of the fans on here fir my liking, do not pretend that Wolves fans would not be annoyed after conceding the goals we have! I have watched Wolves before, and believe me they turn just as quick as we do, actually much quicker in my experience.
Last edited by FGR-Ledge on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Agree with the post above, from fgr2016, to a word!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:00 pm

It does not surprise me that you would.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:19 pm

fgr2016 wrote:Whoever said about Pinnock aand Clough

Hit.Nail.Head. Especially Pinnock.

Last year during our bad run we lost Clough and Pinnock and the result was ...well..a horrendous run. Laird and Collins, on paper, great signings but it's just not clicking yet. Pinnock will be exceptionally hard to replace.

There were positives - high possession, shams goal was solid and the second half looked sturdy against a team stronger then out own and more established as a unit. There are seeds of good in this team just need some.more time together.

What the team does need is a loyal fan base. They were nervous today. At home. That's never acceptable. I worry about the attitude of the fans. There are a lot of people on here who I honestly think that they want Cooper to fail. I don't know why. He got us promoted. You can say all you like about other managers and the cosy crew before but they failed. The players released? Lovely, hard working...but didn't get us up. Cooper did. On the way, we've had some fabulous football that frankly any neutral would have enjoyed to watch.

Yes it's a learning curve - and a big one. Why did any fan think that a club in its first time in the league would be any less then a fight has more to do with Dale made the mistake again of overshooting expectations ( see " I guarantee to go up as champions"). Yet are people that panicked that they are calling for a managers head after loosing to the team that is 1st after loosing the play off final (and, interestingly a team that this time last year was in 24th?!). Two very well established managers in this league have spoken highly of FGR - maybe let's take this into account.

Frankly, Cooper is due some loyality from us as a fan base. Heaven forbid that the players and management expect some support from their fans especially for the fact he just got the club to the football league.

I used to support wolves. When Dave Jones got Wolves to the Prem their was nothing but support for him even though the wheels came off before November ... and respect for the fact that he had done what others had failed to do prior. Can't believe what I'm hearing . Get behind the lads!!

I never pay too much attention to what managers say about teams other than their own. They're hardly going to say 'Club X is appalling, they're going to struggle'. Yet we seem to listen to them when they've got something positive to say. Read between the lines.

Sure, it's a big learning curve. But are they going to be able to learn in time, if at all?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 pm

While I think of it pre-kick off much more punchy announcement. If Pitchfork reads this and it was the same ambassador as last time, excellent job. :D
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team