Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:It's the fans fault, they gave away three of the worst goals you are ever likely to see at this level!

The fans did it, not the pathetic defending.

Bit too much blaming of the fans on here fir my liking, do not pretend that Wolves fans would not be annoyed after conceding the goals we have! I have watched Wolves before, and believe me they turn just as quick as we do, actually much quicker in my experience.

I don't have to believe you. I've been there. I'm saying that the only experience I have is of other fans was wolves fans and and their behaviour can be horrific to their team....and whilst most FGR fans have been fantastic and so welcoming...the small but very vocal sub group are behaving far worse then that low standard I saw at wolves (and that's saying something!) even they have never turned on a 20 year old or run down a manager that got them promotion only a few games into the season. It's horrendous.

The difference here is I listen to the interviews and I hear effort...I hear that a recognition of the need to adapt and change tact and taking responsibility....hell even Cooper in the last interview was extremely respectful of the fans right to express themselves. The team aren't saying that they just need to stick..they are being quite open that they know they aren't getting it right.

Frankly, what more do you want? I've been critical of cooper last season and his inflexible attitude but to me at least it's looks like he's learnt to be better. Shanme that a number of fans on here can't show the same reflexivity on their behaviour.
fgr2016
Trainee
Trainee

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
fgr2016 wrote:Whoever said about Pinnock aand Clough

Hit.Nail.Head. Especially Pinnock.

Last year during our bad run we lost Clough and Pinnock and the result was ...well..a horrendous run. Laird and Collins, on paper, great signings but it's just not clicking yet. Pinnock will be exceptionally hard to replace.

There were positives - high possession, shams goal was solid and the second half looked sturdy against a team stronger then out own and more established as a unit. There are seeds of good in this team just need some.more time together.

What the team does need is a loyal fan base. They were nervous today. At home. That's never acceptable. I worry about the attitude of the fans. There are a lot of people on here who I honestly think that they want Cooper to fail. I don't know why. He got us promoted. You can say all you like about other managers and the cosy crew before but they failed. The players released? Lovely, hard working...but didn't get us up. Cooper did. On the way, we've had some fabulous football that frankly any neutral would have enjoyed to watch.

Yes it's a learning curve - and a big one. Why did any fan think that a club in its first time in the league would be any less then a fight has more to do with Dale made the mistake again of overshooting expectations ( see " I guarantee to go up as champions"). Yet are people that panicked that they are calling for a managers head after loosing to the team that is 1st after loosing the play off final (and, interestingly a team that this time last year was in 24th?!). Two very well established managers in this league have spoken highly of FGR - maybe let's take this into account.

Frankly, Cooper is due some loyality from us as a fan base. Heaven forbid that the players and management expect some support from their fans especially for the fact he just got the club to the football league.

I used to support wolves. When Dave Jones got Wolves to the Prem their was nothing but support for him even though the wheels came off before November ... and respect for the fact that he had done what others had failed to do prior. Can't believe what I'm hearing . Get behind the lads!!

I never pay too much attention to what managers say about teams other than their own. They're hardly going to say 'Club X is appalling, they're going to struggle'. Yet we seem to listen to them when they've got something positive to say. Read between the lines.

Sure, it's a big learning curve. But are they going to be able to learn in time, if at all?

I don't read between the lines - what I will say is that managers tend to only focus on their own team and not that of others so it's unprompted and genuinally complementary.

I can't read the future but I don't think a few games into the season is enough time to judge. I certainly think the potential is there.
fgr2016
Trainee
Trainee

Postby michael » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm

agree with KG on this one-the platitudes/respect from winning managers post match is meaningless

(similarly the pre-match praise from MC of other teams, how every team/manager/are great /difficult (probably true this season though )

I so want MC to succeed ,but listening to the post match interviews,i do note a trend with MC, that the last 2/possibly 3 losing games, he makes the point thaT THe winning manager was under a lot of fan pressure to be dismissed last season.
what message and to who is that sending ?
why mention it ?

He did look very downbeat in the interview-sort of feel sorry for him-and again-want him to succeed-but can't help wondering whether the 'tears'/frustration were a bit of an act
(but thats the nasty /cynical/untrusting side of me coming out ).

Where i have to strongly disagree with him is that FGR have good players.
arguably true-but 'good' measured by what standard ?

yep-good for national league/national league south-but maybe not so good for EFL2.

-and i am sorry-but MC signed players who are simply not good enough.
easy to be wise in hindsight-but can anyone say that summer recruitment was good ?
why was it so bad-?

I don't blame the players-they are probably performing to the maximum of their ability-so not their fault, that a few are simply not good enough.
You can do all the training in the world-but if you are not good enough in the first place-it is not going to get much better.
thats what concerns me-we can all rant every week-but if the fundamentals aren't there-it won't get much better

I just hope that enough can be done just to keep FGR 'in touch with the 23 teams who will be above them at the start of the new year-to enable FGR to 'go again' from January ,by which time MC will have realised what is really needed in this league
(very poor that he did not grasp it in the first place as that's what he is paid for -but regardless-i want him to pull it round, and agasn-by march 2018 have turned from zero to hero .
deserves a further chance
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Mothy wrote:While I think of it pre-kick off much more punchy announcement. If Pitchfork reads this and it was the same ambassador as last time, excellent job. :D

I'll pass on your comment Mothy. Joycie's shoes were hard to fill, but Joel certainly lifted everyone before the kick off. I think the last time after the 'Barcelona atrocity' silence, it was quite difficult to ratchet up the atmosphere.

Overall, considering our results, I think the crowd numbers and the support during matches has remained good. There will always be those who focus on the negatives, but this is far less apparent during the match than afterwards on the forum. It's interesting to read comments from Exeter fans who reflected we were the more dominant team, except for the 3 or 4 occasions when they made scoring look easy, because of individual errors.

The bottom line for all players is performance, ability is the main determinant of that. However effort and determination are also worthy of praise and this was apparent all over the field yesterday. Frustratingly it has often been our most admired players - Christian Doidge, Dale Bennett and Liam Noble who have made mistakes that have led to us conceding goals.

I'm pleased there is a midweek match, the squad's opportunity to put things right.....but Lincoln have only lost once this season, so it will be tough to grind out a win.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 pm

We are leaking, on average, 3 goals every game.

The defence - both the formation, players (even goalkeeper) seem to change each game.

With the exception of Bennett and Russell (when played), this group of defenders have never played together, several are young and inexperienced and others were apparently not wanted by the League 2 sides they were with.

And the combination of all of the above is why we are third bottom.

We need to somehow not lose on Tuesday and then find a way to beat a struggling Port Vale.

BUT lose the next two and things ARE going to start to look pretty grim.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:34 pm

fgr2016 wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
fgr2016 wrote:Whoever said about Pinnock aand Clough

Hit.Nail.Head. Especially Pinnock.

Last year during our bad run we lost Clough and Pinnock and the result was ...well..a horrendous run. Laird and Collins, on paper, great signings but it's just not clicking yet. Pinnock will be exceptionally hard to replace.

There were positives - high possession, shams goal was solid and the second half looked sturdy against a team stronger then out own and more established as a unit. There are seeds of good in this team just need some.more time together.

What the team does need is a loyal fan base. They were nervous today. At home. That's never acceptable. I worry about the attitude of the fans. There are a lot of people on here who I honestly think that they want Cooper to fail. I don't know why. He got us promoted. You can say all you like about other managers and the cosy crew before but they failed. The players released? Lovely, hard working...but didn't get us up. Cooper did. On the way, we've had some fabulous football that frankly any neutral would have enjoyed to watch.

Yes it's a learning curve - and a big one. Why did any fan think that a club in its first time in the league would be any less then a fight has more to do with Dale made the mistake again of overshooting expectations ( see " I guarantee to go up as champions"). Yet are people that panicked that they are calling for a managers head after loosing to the team that is 1st after loosing the play off final (and, interestingly a team that this time last year was in 24th?!). Two very well established managers in this league have spoken highly of FGR - maybe let's take this into account.

Frankly, Cooper is due some loyality from us as a fan base. Heaven forbid that the players and management expect some support from their fans especially for the fact he just got the club to the football league.

I used to support wolves. When Dave Jones got Wolves to the Prem their was nothing but support for him even though the wheels came off before November ... and respect for the fact that he had done what others had failed to do prior. Can't believe what I'm hearing . Get behind the lads!!

I never pay too much attention to what managers say about teams other than their own. They're hardly going to say 'Club X is appalling, they're going to struggle'. Yet we seem to listen to them when they've got something positive to say. Read between the lines.

Sure, it's a big learning curve. But are they going to be able to learn in time, if at all?

I don't read between the lines - what I will say is that managers tend to only focus on their own team and not that of others so it's unprompted and genuinally complementary.

I can't read the future but I don't think a few games into the season is enough time to judge. I certainly think the potential is there.

Potential for what? Have to say I'm fully with Michael on this one.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team

Postby Mothy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:02 am

I remember thinking during the match Exeter have only got near our goal twice but scored each time. I was impressed by their work rate, they harried our players when they didn't have the ball. Just a superb attitude and work rate in the first half by them. The ran more and battled more.

I think Gomez is a through the middle forward, he looked out of place on the right, his instinct was always to run inside to receive the ball. This is where you miss Dale at right back running into that space.

Doidge until the game was already lost looked isolated with no one to run on and pick up the second ball.

Randall looked a threat but less effective when moved to the right. Not sure what the KMB issue is but I'd stick him out on the right instead of Gomez. I think the team would be more of a threat and better balanced and he knows when to move inside or stay wide.

The lad on loan from Forest would be in my back 4 with probably Collins. Or Manny if the opposition have a big tank of a centre forward.

The central defence positions, as so many have posted are the biggest problem in terms of quality.

An interesting comparison was towards the end of the match when the Exeter keeper kicked the ball straight down the field. The ball went straight to our keeper effectively giving us the ball back. Tisdale kept his hands in his coat pocket, said and did nothing. I think we know what Coops would have done in the same situation.
Supporting local football #WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 am

Pitchfork wrote:Overall, considering our results, I think the crowd numbers and the support during matches has remained good. There will always be those who focus on the negatives, but this is far less apparent during the match than afterwards on the forum. It's interesting to read comments from Exeter fans who reflected we were the more dominant team, except for the 3 or 4 occasions when they made scoring look easy, because of individual errors.

The bottom line for all players is performance, ability is the main determinant of that. However effort and determination are also worthy of praise and this was apparent all over the field yesterday. Frustratingly it has often been our most admired players - Christian Doidge, Dale Bennett and Liam Noble who have made mistakes that have led to us conceding goals.

I'm pleased there is a midweek match, the squad's opportunity to put things right.....but Lincoln have only lost once this season, so it will be tough to grind out a win.

Thanks Pitchfork.
I fully agree with what you have written.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:00 am

Anyone know what Russell's injury is
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 am

We all know that people who shout abuse at players are idiots and it's completely wrong to do so. Having said that, from where I was in East stand it was all support, and it's getting better and better. I feel that Noble's rant about the fans was wrong and he should be punished by the club. Firstly, he's the club captain, so should know better. Secondly as just stated, he has lumped all fans in with a minority of idiots. Thirdly he has created or sowed the seeds of a divide.

MC's interview was much better and made good sense. Problem is though, how many times can he say "we should have defended better"? We're a few games in now, and this is starting to create a pattern. Yes, it all looks great when they're practising, but it hasn't been great on the day, so perhaps the training is wrong and needs to be changed.

Not my problem, so it's easy for me to say this. Anyway looking forward to Tuesday, I'd love to see us give the imps a thrashing!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Noble has always been great with the fans, so anyone with a brain will know he wasn't talking about all our fans, he clearly said it was those that gave Charlie abuse and chanted names of former players that he was raging with. So people not doing that obviously weren't included and shouldn't feel offended.

Full marks to him btw, he could have done what most players would do, keep his head down let it go and stay out of the firing line. Instead as captain he came out and stood up for his young team mate and the rest of the team in the face of some very poor conduct from a group of so called fans.

He, like the rest of the team need to up their game. He said that himself. But there is no need or excuse for a minority of our fans to turn on some of the players who just 4 months ago were winning us promotion, just 6 games into a new season.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Noble has always been great with the fans, so anyone with a brain will know he wasn't talking about all our fans, he clearly said it was those that gave Charlie abuse and chanted names of former players that he was raging with. So people not doing that obviously weren't included and shouldn't feel offended.

Full marks to him btw, he could have done what most players would do, keep his head down let it go and stay out of the firing line. Instead as captain he came out and stood up for his young team mate and the rest of the team in the face of some very poor conduct from a group of so called fans.

He, like the rest of the team need to up their game. He said that himself. But there is no need or excuse for a minority of our fans to turn on some of the players who just 4 months ago were winning us promotion, just 6 games into a new season.

Agree 100% with all of that.

Don't want a wallflower for a captain.

I do feel though that we haven't signed enough players of the requisite quality for this League. Whether this is lack of availability, failure to attract them or naivety on the part of the manager, I do not know.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Noble has always been great with the fans, so anyone with a brain will know he wasn't talking about all our fans, he clearly said it was those that gave Charlie abuse and chanted names of former players that he was raging with. So people not doing that obviously weren't included and shouldn't feel offended.

Sorry, and I might not have a brain, but publicly blaming a majority for the acts of a small minority is wrong in any arena.
Last edited by voodoobluesman on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:

Sorry, and I might not have a brain, but publicly blaming a majority for the acts of a small majority is wrong in any arena.

Time to let his football do the talking on Tuesday now.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:14 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Sorry, and I might not have a brain, but publicly blaming a majority for the acts of a small minority is wrong in any arena.

Lucky he didn't do that then, isn't it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:

Lucky he didn't do that then, isn't it.

Don't be revisionist. Listen to the interview at https://audioboom.com/posts/6284990-nob ... xeter-home. Noble talks of 'the fans' before Bob Hunt points out the support from the stand was good and the alleged abuse came from behind the goals. At no point does Noble suggest it was a minority of people. He talks just of 'the fans'.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes but it was pretty clear. He criticised those who were having a go at the team/individuals etc. Those who didn't were obviously not the target of his rant.

Picking out the fact he used the term "the fans" instead of "some" fans is pedantic. Everyone knows what he meant.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:57 pm

The way to resolve this one is with a rousing rendition of the Liam Noble song as the teams are preparing for kick-off tomorrow evening...let him hear just what we think in the loudest and most positive manner possible.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Yes but it was pretty clear. He criticised those who were having a go at the team/individuals etc. Those who didn't were obviously not the target of his rant.

Picking out the fact he used the term "the fans" instead of "some" fans is pedantic. Everyone knows what he meant.

If having the capacity to listen to an interview correctly, and quote from it accurately and in context, makes me a pedant, I'm very happy to be one. Face it, you're wrong.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm

So you genuinely think that what Noble said was targeted at all fans then?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team