Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Exeter City)

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Kentstripe wrote:So you genuinely think that what Noble said was targeted at all fans then?

He said at the beginning of the interview he was 'coming for the fans'. At no point did he specify who. He spoke of a collective. Even if we acknowledge Bob's comment about 'behind the goal' he is still talking about everyone in those areas.

Listen to the interview. It's like arguing with the dad of the kid who nicked the Coke. He refuses to acknowledge what is on the CCTV footage although it's there in front of him.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 pm

He clearly had a go at those who were having a go at Charlie, chanting ex players names etc. So it follows that anyone that didn't do that has no need to feel under attack. The exact words he used are not the issue here, it is blatantly obvious who and what he meant to criticise.

Anyone choosing to take it as him criticising everyone are missing the point he was making completely.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Kentstripe wrote:He clearly had a go at those who were having a go at Charlie, chanting ex players names etc. So it follows that anyone that didn't do that has no need to feel under attack. The exact words he used are not the issue here, it is blatantly obvious who and what he meant to criticise.

Anyone choosing to take it as him criticising everyone are missing the point he was making completely.

Of course his words are the issue. He did not single out anyone or any sub-group from the lumpen mass. Neither did he acknowledge a sub-group or individual positive supporters. All he spoke of was 'the fans'.

Your reasoning is exactly the same as I hear when people defend *ists who have said 'I have a problem with all xxxx'. Their argument is 'Oh, he clearly meant just a small proportion of them'. Well, how, there is no evidence to support this.

And far from missing the point, Noble was clearly annoyed with 'the fans' regardless of which fans they are. Just a shame he was unable to make any differentiation if that was, in fact, what he was attempting to do.
Last edited by king giraffe III on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

I think he has displayed one of the key qualities required for a captain, defended a fellow teammate in public, if he has any issue with an individual performance then I am sure that will be resolved in private. I take no offense whatsoever from what he said, it didn't apply to me or the majority of our fans.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Foggy wrote:I think he has displayed one of the key qualities required for a captain, defended a fellow teammate in public, if he has any issue with an individual performance then I am sure that will be resolved in private. I take no offense whatsoever from what he said, it didn't apply to me or the majority of our fans.

Defending a teammate is one thing, but going after the fans is something else and rarely ends well. Still, this is nothing on former players and coaches squaring up to supporters!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 pm

But there is evidence that Noble did single specific people out Giraffe, simply by mentioning it was those who were giving Charlie stick, singing ex players names etc he was angry with.

That alone makes it pretty clear he isn't targeting everyone, only those doing it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Kentstripe wrote:But there is evidence that Noble did single specific people out Giraffe, simply by mentioning it was those who were giving Charlie stick, singing ex players names etc he was angry with.

That alone makes it pretty clear he isn't targeting everyone, only those doing it.

Oh my goodness, he spoke of 'the fans'! We've had this on another thread! :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Its not what you say it the way you say it....unless you are someone who takes every word literally. The written word on its own is generally very poor - hence why social media is such a pants medium. Books are generally ok as time and effort is put in.

...oh my point! Its blooming obvious what Noble meant unless you take things too literally. I'm bored of this thread. Goodbye :)

Come on Rovers!!!!!! Looking forward to tomorrow evening.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

man_of_kent wrote:...oh my point! Its blooming obvious what Noble meant unless you take things too literally.

Is it?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Heat of the moment, give him some allowance for his language. I'd tend to agree we probably can read between the lines and get the context. Could he have used better words? Yes. Should we turn this into something bigger than it is? No. The last thing we need now is to alienate our captain and one of our best players. I thought he was brave and honest about his own form and credit to him. It was clear the form is hurting him, time to turn it around. I just hope he keeps his cool on the pitch. There was a spell at Wycombe where he seemed to boil over....keep it controlled and channel it Nobes....we need you now more than ever.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby twoguns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Looking in from afar I believe the unexpected promotion coupled with the resulting euphoria led to poor pre-season preparation. We should as a league club moved on from pre-season friendlies with the likes of Shortwood, Brimscombe & Thrupp and Bishops Cleeve, small club mentality.

I didn't think Dale would allow this to happen but it's becoming clear this season will be attricional and a fight for survival. Mark Cooper got us promoted and he deserves time to sort it out.

One positive, increased crowds = increased revenue = nearer self sufficiency financially which clearly has to be the ultimate mid term goal together with league 2 survival.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 am

Just for the record I am unable to attend tonight against Lincoln City due to my footballing duties taking me 'Up Nothh'.

I hope the club can get a result by adopting a more secure formation which concentrates on defensive duties. A back four being a back four and not a lopsided three or absent two.

Lincoln clearly had the best manager in the National League last season by a country mile. Tactically sound and like Ferguson set up to play right through to the final whistle.

I expect this to be a close encounter for a number of reasons and hope that our tactics will bear some positive fruits.

One thing for sure League Two never has been, is nor will be a walk in the park. Those who thought different, then think again.

Best wishes.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby RJBora » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:Your reasoning is exactly the same as I hear when people defend *ists who have said 'I have a problem with all xxxx'. Their argument is 'Oh, he clearly meant just a small proportion of them'. Well, how, there is no evidence to support this.

Are you calling Noble a fanist? :o
"Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic." ~ Tryon Edwards, 1891
RJBora
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Came across following post on the Cheltenham forum [where else].
First I've heard about it.

"During the Exeter game I think it was, someone spray painted lines on the sides of cars that were apparently parked incorrectly on the road up to FGR's ground as well. Saw something about it in the press"
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I saw it in one of the on-line papers. It was an illegally parked car, which could have caused all sorts of problems. Naturally you can't condone it, but still...
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:57 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:I saw it in one of the on-line papers. It was an illegally parked car, which could have caused all sorts of problems. Naturally you can't condone it, but still...

Yes, you can condone it if you feel that way.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:I saw it in one of the on-line papers. It was an illegally parked car, which could have caused all sorts of problems. Naturally you can't condone it, but still...

Or it's by the Sea Shepherds
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 am

voodoobluesman wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

Or it's by the Sea Shepherds

It's a curious mix of double standards some live by. It's called vandalism unless its by Banksy. Obstruction or deliberate causing of damage unless it is Greenpeace or Sea Shepherd.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team