League 2 is what I expected but different

All about our First Team

League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby camel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Wow. Rewind a few months to a famous day in London. Legends were made, dreams were realised and memories founded forever.

League 2 is everything I expected, but different.

I expected the standard to be higher. I expected to get beaten. I expected it would be tough. I expected some fans wouldnt like it. I looked forward to the challenge.

So why I do I feel surprisingly downbeat so far this season? Why do I feel surprised by the level of discontent so quickly surrounding us? This wasn't what I was expecting. I'm normally an upbeat, glass half full guy. I don't feel it.

I think the manner of fallout with KMB has opened old wounds for many. We are an emotional bunch. It's part of the game. It's why we love it.

Lots of changes and no settled team, it all sounds a bit mid season 16/17 doesn't it?

Question marks over recruitment from many.

The fans have spoken on all these points and warning shots have been fired across Mark Cooper's bows.

So where do we go from here?

I think the biggest change that can be made is one which is so easily within Mark Cooper's grace.

Mark, if you do read this forum, recognise this; on the whole we want to love you. We want for you to be successful. Start to embrace us more. Instead of criticising a few fans, reward and recognise the many. Applaud us, home and away. Encourage us to make some noise on your way to the dugout and during the game. Get the players to do the same. Talk in more measured doses about our favourite players at times. Our passion and commitment is a weapon you can use more wisely. Stop making snipes in interviews. Be more positive.

Your are the leader of this club and that includes the fans. Be more positive about the fans and they will be more positive in return. We all want the same thing, we all care for the club.

We've had some hard lessons already and maybe it is time for us all to take stock and go again. You have to ask if what we have right now is what we dreamed of back in May? Maybe it's time to say enough is enough and turn up on Tuesday and every man, woman and child whether on the pitch, in the dugouts or in the stands to give their all. It's worth a try right? Maybe Tuesday, under floodlights can be a night to remember, the night we arrived on the league two stage. But it needs to start with you building positive bridges with fans.
camel
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Fantastic post Camel, I feel exactly the same.

I think that's why I am so frustrated with Cooper, this should be the most amazing time to be an FGR fan, but I just don't feel it either. So frustrated with his poor recruitment and treatment of certain players over others.

Yes us fans need to turn up on Tuesday and get behind them, but please try to engage positively with us too Marj Cooper. It's a two way street.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 am

Yes to this, good post camel. I don't feel down beat though.

Our number of fans are increasing, making more noise, becoming more passionate. We come for entertainment, so we are going to have a laugh together.

This search for the positive in everything is brainwashing. When you get a big crowd of people together they are going to express themselves.

I felt there was a real buzz in the crowd yesterday, strangers talking to each other, fans learning about the players histories.

The players are good, the fans are good, come on MC and Noble all the responsibility lies with you at the moment. We don't have to win or stay up, but the decisions you are making are poor and of course we are going to call you out on it. We are singing it now, not grumbling with crossed arms and angry faces as we used to.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby Philpot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am

I'm going Tuesday And we're gonna win
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 am

Best thread on here for a while. Well said Camel.

Let's keep positive (and that includes the management).

If we get relegated (we won't) it'll be down to us, the fans, as much as the players or staff.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby Football Poets » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Great posts Camel et al. Have to agree with all points made. How refreshing to hear a bit of positivity.

Off the pitch
At the party at the ground after Wembley I spoke to Mark and thanked him and apologised for those who had berated him all season .
Frustration overflows at times. As it did last season and as it is already. Some of you know I moved to South Stand to get away from the minority negativity. I have to say the East Stand noise has got much better from where I stand.

All fans at other clubs call for left out or departed players when it's not working, but it's always sad to hear the frustration and negativity coming out from one or two in the South Stand v Exeter. But we all know that their hearts are in the right place.

Sound wise at least we have the advantage now. Aside from a roar or two when they scored with 817 here (Exeter,) 500+ (Yeovil,) 500+ Barnet (can't remember how many MK brought) but bottom line, we'd normally have been drowned out all game by the booming hordes (I can still hear the Grimsby, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham. Wrexham,Lincoln. Luton and Oxford hordes and even (let's face it Guiseley-I think it was Guisely ?) outsinging us with 30 in the North Stand. Such is the difference a roof makes We just need our newly -returning North Stand fans to stay on board, and more to go in there to maximise on having fans behind both ends.(Two ends...LUXURY ! ) Because if it chucks it down like that again, and there only 100 or less in the North Stand,.we could lose that end on compassionte grounds again!

On the field
We all know our defence was decimated after last season and hasn't gelled yet. Loans went back.Ethan sold blah blah blash.
Lincoln (nemesis rivals and fresh from an away win) and Port Vale (first away win and turning point or relegation 6 pointer? ????)
Lets' face it every game is like a promotion play off..onward..

Believe
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
User avatar
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Butterow, Stroud .Glos

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Football Poets wrote:Great posts Camel et al. Have to agree with all points made. How refreshing to hear a bit of positivity.

Off the pitch
At the party at the ground after Wembley I spoke to Mark and thanked him and apologised for those who had berated him all season .
Frustration overflows at times. As it did last season and as it is already. Some of you know I moved to South Stand to get away from the minority negativity. I have to say the East Stand noise has got much better from where I stand.

All fans at other clubs call for left out or departed players when it's not working, but it's always sad to hear the frustration and negativity coming out from one or two in the South Stand v Exeter. But we all know that their hearts are in the right place.

Sound wise at least we have the advantage now. Aside from a roar or two when they scored with 817 here (Exeter,) 500+ (Yeovil,) 500+ Barnet (can't remember how many MK brought) but bottom line, we'd normally have been drowned out al game by the booming hordes .We just need our loyal North Stand fans to stay on board, as if it chucks it down like that again and there only 100 or less in the North Stand ...we'll lose that end again.


On the field
We all know our defence was decimated after last season and hasn't gelled yet. Loans went back.Ethan sold blah blah blash.
Lincoln (nemesis rivals and fresh from an away win) and Port Vale (first away win and turning point or relegation 6 pointer? ????)
Lets' face it every game is like a promotion play off..onward..

Believe


That was all going well until you revived the spirit of Hockaday. ;)

Never apologise to anyone on behalf of other people. It is a weird English thing to do and misguided. You represent nobody but yourself as an individual.

And is our support growing? Less than 2k homers yesterday.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:53 pm

camel wrote:Wow. Rewind a few months to a famous day in London. Legends were made, dreams were realised and memories founded forever.

League 2 is everything I expected, but different.

I expected the standard to be higher. I expected to get beaten. I expected it would be tough. I expected some fans wouldnt like it. I looked forward to the challenge.

So why I do I feel surprisingly downbeat so far this season? Why do I feel surprised by the level of discontent so quickly surrounding us? This wasn't what I was expecting. I'm normally an upbeat, glass half full guy. I don't feel it.

I think the manner of fallout with KMB has opened old wounds for many. We are an emotional bunch. It's part of the game. It's why we love it.

Lots of changes and no settled team, it all sounds a bit mid season 16/17 doesn't it?

Question marks over recruitment from many.

The fans have spoken on all these points and warning shots have been fired across Mark Cooper's bows.

So where do we go from here?

I think the biggest change that can be made is one which is so easily within Mark Cooper's grace.

Mark, if you do read this forum, recognise this; on the whole we want to love you. We want for you to be successful. Start to embrace us more. Instead of criticising a few fans, reward and recognise the many. Applaud us, home and away. Encourage us to make some noise on your way to the dugout and during the game. Get the players to do the same. Talk in more measured doses about our favourite players at times. Our passion and commitment is a weapon you can use more wisely. Stop making snipes in interviews. Be more positive.

Your are the leader of this club and that includes the fans. Be more positive about the fans and they will be more positive in return. We all want the same thing, we all care for the club.

We've had some hard lessons already and maybe it is time for us all to take stock and go again. You have to ask if what we have right now is what we dreamed of back in May? Maybe it's time to say enough is enough and turn up on Tuesday and every man, woman and child whether on the pitch, in the dugouts or in the stands to give their all. It's worth a try right? Maybe Tuesday, under floodlights can be a night to remember, the night we arrived on the league two stage. But it needs to start with you building positive bridges with fans.


Churchill wasn't all that.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby camel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:59 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Churchill wasn't all that.


His adverts are good but the quotes always come out too expensive for me.
camel
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Football Poets wrote:Great posts Camel et al. Have to agree with all points made. How refreshing to hear a bit of positivity.

Off the pitch
At the party at the ground after Wembley I spoke to Mark and thanked him and apologised for those who had berated him all season .
Frustration overflows at times. As it did last season and as it is already. Some of you know I moved to South Stand to get away from the minority negativity. I have to say the East Stand noise has got much better from where I stand.

All fans at other clubs call for left out or departed players when it's not working, but it's always sad to hear the frustration and negativity coming out from one or two in the South Stand v Exeter. But we all know that their hearts are in the right place.

Sound wise at least we have the advantage now. Aside from a roar or two when they scored with 817 here (Exeter,) 500+ (Yeovil,) 500+ Barnet (can't remember how many MK brought) but bottom line, we'd normally have been drowned out al game by the booming hordes .We just need our loyal North Stand fans to stay on board, as if it chucks it down like that again and there only 100 or less in the North Stand ...we'll lose that end again.


On the field
We all know our defence was decimated after last season and hasn't gelled yet. Loans went back.Ethan sold blah blah blash.
Lincoln (nemesis rivals and fresh from an away win) and Port Vale (first away win and turning point or relegation 6 pointer? ????)
Lets' face it every game is like a promotion play off..onward..

Believe


That was all going well until you revived the spirit of Hockaday. ;)

Never apologise to anyone on behalf of other people. It is a weird English thing to do and misguided. You represent nobody but yourself as an individual.

And is our support growing? Less than 2k homers yesterday.



Usually agree with you, however there were over 2000 home fans there yesterday, pretty good considering.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:02 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Football Poets wrote:Great posts Camel et al. Have to agree with all points made. How refreshing to hear a bit of positivity.

Off the pitch
At the party at the ground after Wembley I spoke to Mark and thanked him and apologised for those who had berated him all season .
Frustration overflows at times. As it did last season and as it is already. Some of you know I moved to South Stand to get away from the minority negativity. I have to say the East Stand noise has got much better from where I stand.

All fans at other clubs call for left out or departed players when it's not working, but it's always sad to hear the frustration and negativity coming out from one or two in the South Stand v Exeter. But we all know that their hearts are in the right place.

Sound wise at least we have the advantage now. Aside from a roar or two when they scored with 817 here (Exeter,) 500+ (Yeovil,) 500+ Barnet (can't remember how many MK brought) but bottom line, we'd normally have been drowned out al game by the booming hordes .We just need our loyal North Stand fans to stay on board, as if it chucks it down like that again and there only 100 or less in the North Stand ...we'll lose that end again.


On the field
We all know our defence was decimated after last season and hasn't gelled yet. Loans went back.Ethan sold blah blah blash.
Lincoln (nemesis rivals and fresh from an away win) and Port Vale (first away win and turning point or relegation 6 pointer? ????)
Lets' face it every game is like a promotion play off..onward..

Believe


That was all going well until you revived the spirit of Hockaday. ;)

Never apologise to anyone on behalf of other people. It is a weird English thing to do and misguided. You represent nobody but yourself as an individual.

And is our support growing? Less than 2k homers yesterday.



Usually agree with you, however there were over 2000 home fans there yesterday, pretty good considering.


I stand corrected. :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: League 2 is what I expected but different

Postby Football Poets » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Football Poets wrote:Great posts Camel et al. Have to agree with all points made. How refreshing to hear a bit of positivity.

Off the pitch
At the party at the ground after Wembley I spoke to Mark and thanked him and apologised for those who had berated him all season .
Frustration overflows at times. As it did last season and as it is already. Some of you know I moved to South Stand to get away from the minority negativity. I have to say the East Stand noise has got much better from where I stand.

All fans at other clubs call for left out or departed players when it's not working, but it's always sad to hear the frustration and negativity coming out from one or two in the South Stand v Exeter. But we all know that their hearts are in the right place.

Sound wise at least we have the advantage now. Aside from a roar or two when they scored with 817 here (Exeter,) 500+ (Yeovil,) 500+ Barnet (can't remember how many MK brought) but bottom line, we'd normally have been drowned out al game by the booming hordes .We just need our loyal North Stand fans to stay on board, as if it chucks it down like that again and there only 100 or less in the North Stand ...we'll lose that end again.


On the field
We all know our defence was decimated after last season and hasn't gelled yet. Loans went back.Ethan sold blah blah blash.
Lincoln (nemesis rivals and fresh from an away win) and Port Vale (first away win and turning point or relegation 6 pointer? ????)
Lets' face it every game is like a promotion play off..onward..

Believe


That was all going well until you revived the spirit of Hockaday. ;)

Never apologise to anyone on behalf of other people. It is a weird English thing to do and misguided. You represent nobody but yourself as an individual.

And is our support growing? Less than 2k homers yesterday.



Usually agree with you, however there were over 2000 home fans there yesterday, pretty good considering.


I stand corrected. :lol:


Yeah Ok KG, I agree one shouldn't apologise on behalf of others ( a green card and slapped wrist for FP which could be a worry for a writer)
I hold my hand up . But then I am 'English' (whatever that is) and I am 'weird' so whatever.However (for me) some of the jibes back then had got unbearable at times .

On the home crowd v Exeter: I agree over 2K is great.
This after two thumping defeats and 15 (now 18) shipped -so yes 2100 home 'fans' is still a great turnout.

Lastly, why are people who come late and who don't respond to requests to move, still there parked up on the grass on ther beginning of Tinkley Lane ? They possibly even contributed to the frustrated smash last night on the roundabout in the snarl-up stand still. A polite temporary notice on match days, warning the consequences and risks of being towed away might help?. I remember when a couple of cars parked there (v Aldershot) blocking an ambulance from being able to get past to Woodchester Mansion, where someone had sadly collapsed.

Anyway onward we go. Positive vibes to all fans players and staff on Tues and Sat ! ( oh no Matt 'I fell over' Rhead again.... )
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
User avatar
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Butterow, Stroud .Glos


Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mix grumble, Tomiswalking and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.