Summer transfer recruitment

All about our First Team

Re: Summer transfer recruitment

Postby 20yrs and counting » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am

It appears we were hampered by FFP regs, so free transfers, loan deals and players at beginning and towards end of career were the only ones open to us, when you look at it that way maybe MC did a good job with summer recruitment?

Only players in prime of their careers Nobes, Doidge, Bennet were paramount to keep as spine of the team. Which meant other high earners, mentioning no names, were not needed and had to be taken off wage bill.

Only thing we can do is get behind the team and hope the youngsters find their feet quickly and play a settled back 4. Prob that would be Laird, Monthe, Lacovetti, Bennett. Though Laird really has to raise his game. Someone in the centre HAS to be the LEADER, shouting when they move up / back as a unit.

Lets hear the South Stand, North Stand and Main Stand get behind the boys tonight. Cmon rovers.
20yrs and counting
Youth
Youth

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:It appears we were hampered by FFP regs, so free transfers, loan deals and players at beginning and towards end of career were the only ones open to us, when you look at it that way maybe MC did a good job with summer recruitment?

Only players in prime of their careers Nobes, Doidge, Bennet were paramount to keep as spine of the team. Which meant other high earners, mentioning no names, were not needed and had to be taken off wage bill.

Only thing we can do is get behind the team and hope the youngsters find their feet quickly and play a settled back 4. Prob that would be Laird, Monthe, Lacovetti, Bennett. Though Laird really has to raise his game. Someone in the centre HAS to be the LEADER, shouting when they move up / back as a unit.

Lets hear the South Stand, North Stand and Main Stand get behind the boys tonight. Cmon rovers.

If it is the case that two seasons' worth of money has been spent then should we be asking if this was wise? Then again, would we have been trying to sign Woolery for a fee if this was the case?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Interesting thread and begs the big question IMHO...

...who did we sign in the Summer who has genuinely improved the First XI? And nobody say 'Doidge' or 'Noble'.....

Okay, its early days, but to continue with the cliches, first impressions count also. I think Laird is probably a better left back than any we had at the club last season. Other than that? We have nobody of the quality of Pinnock. Ellis impressed a lot more last season than Roberts has so far. Monthe was not a regular starter last season. Later in the season we had Woolery and KMB out wide and I don't think we have players of that quality playing wide now?

I do think we haven't signed enough experienced players. The average age of our 28 contracted players I calculate to be just 22.6 years old.... :o Granted the average age of the XI we put on the pitch is probably higher, but we are a young side however you want to look at it.

As I have referred to in previous posts - constantly changing the formation and personnel in a'Back 5' made up of largely new signings is gonna mean you concede goals.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Main Stander » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:41 pm

I think the squad is good enough to compete, i think whats going wrong mainly is rotation amd i dont understand why we need to mess about wiith the team this early on in the season.

Collins in goal at the start of the season, no real reason for this but it happened. Russell then gets back in for 1 game (Collins at the time of being dropped, had seemed to overcome earlier issues) and again Rusell doesnt do anything wrong but finds himself dropped and Collins is back in after 1 game, yet Sam gets one game - then back out after 1 game without any justification.

Bennett and Collins, Bennett started the season as CB, Collins was RB, Bennett then was played RB and Collins CB, and again Saturday they were swapped round again. Bennet CB and Collins RB.

Monthe - What is going on with this guy? At the start of the season, Cooper said hes as good as Pinnock and 2 or 3 years younger (cant remember exactly), Then all of a sudden gets dropped for a 32 year old, and against Exeter it seemed every player in our team was happy to scream at him for conceding the 3rd, admittedly he didnt do a great headed clearance and it seemed to fall to Exeter on the edge and they scored, but there was 6 players ahead of him who should be ready to bail him out, like he continuously bails the defence out. I know this maybe extreme but everything that goes wrong, everyone gets right on his back and to me, verges on abuse, which apparently makes our Captain rage when its to the manager's son, but he gets onto Manny much worse, amd even started walking towards Manny before he kicked off after the 3rd goal on Saturday.

And then youve got signing youngsters - which seems to be for the sake of it, instead of playing Bugiel and James.

This is just how i see things, i dont know if anyone else sees it like this, but it seems to me the squad needs managing better from the manager, rather than squad not being good enough. Play players in their correct positions and keep them there!
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm

Are the signings so poor because of financial fair play ?

i simply do not know.

Logically it makes sense-but i am not so sure.

Giraffe makes a very valid point, and indeed-why in pre-season were MC and Mr Vince overly optimistic/positive.

ok-they are hardly going to sell season tickets by saying that FGR will be in a relegation battle,but maybe if they knew/accepted the recruitment was 'out of necessity poor '-surely they would have dampend expectations a bit.

i may be wrong-but i just think it was poor from such an experienced guy.

(reminds me a bit of Harvey about 7 seasons ago when fgr were in a great position in January-Harvey did nothing in the juanuary window (maybe some golf ) and the second half of that season was terrible ).
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 am

michael wrote:Are the signings so poor because of financial fair play ?

i simply do not know.

Logically it makes sense-but i am not so sure.

Giraffe makes a very valid point, and indeed-why in pre-season were MC and Mr Vince overly optimistic/positive.

ok-they are hardly going to sell season tickets by saying that FGR will be in a relegation battle,but maybe if they knew/accepted the recruitment was 'out of necessity poor '-surely they would have dampend expectations a bit.

i may be wrong-but i just think it was poor from such an experienced guy.

(reminds me a bit of Harvey about 7 seasons ago when fgr were in a great position in January-Harvey did nothing in the juanuary window (maybe some golf ) and the second half of that season was terrible ).

We did some business in that window - we sold Beesley to Cambridge, ending his partnership with Fleetwood and our charge for a play-off spot!

Tim
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

I pretty much agree with MainStander on this. We have a good enough squad to stay up and if they can build relationships around the pitch and get on a positive roll, we might do better than scrape over relegation. What we need is more continuity.

MC tends to drop people when they are perceived to have had bad game. That must hit confidence. I understand the bringing in of experience into the centre of defence last night but now lets stick to that for a bit so the back 4 build up an understanding of what the strengths and weaknesses of each player are in match situations. If that means Monthe needs to sit out for a bit, so be it. Then when he gets his chance he can take it and he can be the incumbent for a while. The rotation MC favours breaks that continuity and intuitive understanding and that leads to hesitation at the back.

I understand that Traore can't play all of each game or, when he does, has to sit out the next one. I hope that is not the long term position since otherwise I'm afraid we need to move on and just use him as a sub while others gain the starting positions in a more settled midfield (which will include Cooper and Noble for the foreseeable future).

Up front, Doidge is a constant - rightly. But he needs consistent support. We have a lot of attacking options and this is where we should see most change during the game. But having gone for two up last night, lets stick to that for a while. Randall and James - who both look promising recruits to me - should start on current form and now Mullings should be given a run - he caused enough problems for Lincoln last night.

Notwithstanding the promise of Mullings, Bugeil, James and Randall (and maybe Gomes) I share some of the frustration with the new recruits. Roberts looks ordinary, both Collins's need the continuity I mention above to start to shine, Laird is better than anything we had at left back last year but still makes defensive errors and Collins. There is enough experience in the recently signed players but they have yet to really demonstrate the consistency we would probably have expected. Continuity of selection from MC would help that I believe.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

Quite right Tommo. The best thing we can buy now is a settled team. Continuity is key and forming understanding.

I know it's nowhere near the same but on Monday I played 5 a side and we had some new guys playing. It was so difficult compared to playing with a settled team and knowing what people are going to do and where their limitations are so you can read ahead in the game. From the football I've watched over the years and listening to professional players I think the same is true in the elite game.
camel
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team