Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm

I thought we battled well tonight and deserved more from the game. Dreadful referee and appalling antics from the Cowley brothers.

Not surprised that Drissa didn't play after having played 90 minutes at the weekend. I probably would have brought Omar on to replace Sham and left James on the right though...

We'll get there. We don't need a knee-jerk reaction when it comes to the manager.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Great Dane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Kentstripe wrote:It's not looking great at the moment.

As others have said we need to stick with a solid back 4 and let them settle down.

Traore being left on the bench was almost certainly fitness related, he rarely manages 90 minutes so having actually stayed on on Saturday I doubt he could play 2 games in quick succession. Need him back on Saturday. We really have to get something at Port Vale.

Good point about traore if he can't play 90 min footy really should he be part of the team when KMB so say is not 100% fit seems one rule for one and one for another
Great Dane
First Team
First Team

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Apparently Cowley has accused Brad Collins of spitting at Raggett to start that fight. Doesn't sound like the player I've seen but who knows?
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I thought we battled well tonight and deserved more from the game. Dreadful referee and appalling antics from the Cowley brothers.

Not surprised that Drissa didn't play after having played 90 minutes at the weekend. I probably would have brought Omar on to replace Sham and left James on the right though...

We'll get there. We don't need a knee-jerk reaction when it comes to the manager.

Why do you think we will get there?
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Great Dane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I thought we battled well tonight and deserved more from the game. Dreadful referee and appalling antics from the Cowley brothers.

Why shouldn't traore play having played 90min sat
Doidge did
Bennet did
Laird did
So no and so on
Why should he be the exception poor management in my view simple in my book if can't put a 90 min shift off load them
Great Dane
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr2016 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm

No wind up, I'm just realistic as to what can be done in 72 hours. The last two results were total car crashes where we fell apart defensively.

I'm not pleased ...I'm just happy to see some progress. I don't want this club to succumb to greed - we've just been promoted, give them a chance.

I'm also calling out those who said "get rid of him" in December and I wonder how many repeated those comments in May. There are teams far more established in this league then us struggling and I'll take some heed from that - no wind up just seeing things from a less panicked more long term view.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Great Dane wrote:

Doidge did
Bennet did
Laird did
So no and so on
Why should he be the exception poor management in my view simple in my book if can't put a 90 min shift off load them

He could have some kind of chronic injury tbf, like Ledley King had at Spurs?

Also he missed a fair bit of pre-season due to bereavement. Good player who's worth having even if he can't play all the time imo.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:

I just think our players are capable of more. Once they've adjusted to League 2 I think they'll turn it around and consolidate a position half way up the table. I'm always optimistic.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I think we were very lucky to get away with only loosing by one goal. They totally outplayed us in midfield.

Defence did their bit tonight and should be praised.

How Noble got man of the match I will never know.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Great Dane wrote:

Doidge did
Bennet did
Laird did
So no and so on

Drissa clearly has a fitness/injury problem and has to be managed accordingly. I don't think that's grounds to bin him. He's too good a player for that. Successful football teams quite often have players that can't play every game. That's why they have squads.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:

I just think our players are capable of more. Once they've adjusted to League 2 I think they'll turn it around and consolidate a position half way up the table. I'm always optimistic.

You are certainly always optimistic, I'll give you that one. ;)
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bronco » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Well at least Noble settled the debate about whether he was unhappy with all fans or just some fans by making a point of not clapping any side of the ground before kick off

Defence was a bit better but it was comical defending which gifted Lincoln that goal and the points. Problem with Collins imo is that he doesn't communicate at all. Watch the Lincoln keeper and he was constantly directing his defence and shouting instructions. Collins is quiet as a mouse and looks nervous all the time.
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I have removed comment because not for the first time emotions got the better of me and after a few beers I type without thinking and without being able to spell also.
Last edited by Phil_mitchell on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't know how much football the representatives from the pre-eclampsia society watch, but they must have had a helluva job picking a MOTM tonight.

I would have given it to the 300+ Lincoln fans who travelled all that distance and stood out in the rain. They are probably the only ones who deserve any credit after tonight's debacle.

Awful game, awful weather, awful antics from Lincoln and a poor Ref who seemed not to understand the blood rules.

I want to say that 5 of our 7 games have been against teams in the current top 12. I want to say that there are easier games around the corner. But I am starting to lose hope already because we just look so out of our depth. The squad looks weaker than last seasons, when we finished third in a lower division.

Once again, a basic error and a very soft goal conceded.

If we lose to Port Vale, I think Dale Vince's patience will probably run out.....
Last edited by SkunkMan on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Defence actually played as a unit tonight, though agree Keeper should be more vocal. It is midfield where we are weak and sloppy, yet we have no options to change, we are crying out for a CM to work with Driss and Nobes.

Will DV back Coops and allow a dip into Nat league transfer market or even wait to Jan for football league transfer market to re-open.

One positive is the players do look up for a scrap, no pun intended, heads haven't gone done, but is that enough?
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 pm

If Collins gets a ban for spitting and Russel is injured.. eeek
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Well it was never going to be pretty in those conditions but Lincoln played to their strengths ie Route 1 and as soon as Cowley subbed Arnold for Rhead at half time you new what was coming .................. and yet again it worked .... not helped by indecision from Bennett and Collins.
Some have suggested keeping that back 4 .......... I really hope we don't. I do want to see a settled defence but would leave out at least 2 of the 4 who played there tonight.
Really disappointing not to take at least a point.
I've commented before about being "out fouled". Happened again tonight - far more challenging back and aggression in Lincoln's play and although we started with 2 wide players let's be honest they didn't get look in as for some reason we opted to try and fight fire with fire and go direct ...... and we proved we cant do it !!
Big game at Vale Park .............. I'll be there to see us take the points ;)
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Last edited by SNJ Ash on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 pm

We chose our most experienced defence tonight, and although the conditions played a big part, they did at least keep us in the game for a good while. Then again we lacked any quality upfront tonight, a total no show.

Saturday now gives us yet another chance against another weak side. So this has to be our next best chance of getting some more points. As things stand the novelty of playing in this league is wearing off fast. Plod on we will, but were becoming 3 point fodder. Where's the future in that.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Well today showed MC dramatically changing tactics and trying to find bit of stability by trying to battle a good old fashioned 0-0 or nicking a win...... hoping for sone confidence building and then I imagine to rebuild it. Didn't quite work...almost!! Due to this change quite a watchable and enjoyable evening.

OK so got my head around its likely to be a relegation battle unless we do something like Exeter last year. So change of mind set now needed so. Now really looking forward to every game and a good old relegation battle like the old fgr days!!. Joy at every point won! Worth taking this approach as life too short acting like bad losers.....although that is football's general approach.

Oh and thought the cowley brothers were like a pantomime! ! They are hilarious but couldnt put up with them week in week out no matter what results they got! !

Roll on and let's see which fans are strong enough to sit through a relegation battle or those who stay at home and cry behind their keyboards
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team