Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby fgr2016 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Ahhh some positivity at last :) this has made me smile rather then then utterly stupid "cooper out" making the rounds on social media last night.

What's sad is this.

People have said Cooper should be more respectful of the fans. I'd agree some of his conduct towards fans last year was questionable. However, he has really turned a corner with this - he went as far to say that it's their right to support the club they want as they pay their money. That's further then even I'd go!!

People have said Cooper should show more flexibility. Again last year this was a fair comment. However this season he has shown a willingness to adapt and change - particularly last night.

People said Cooper needs to calm down. Again last year I felt he lost his bottle way too many times to the point where I said "Come on six missed chances" and he must have been on such tenderhooks he thought I said "Cooper" and he turned round and had a go at me. You look at him this year in the dug out (far calmer) and in interviews he's almost hovering in some Budda like state.

Point being is he is trying to learn , to adapt and to try different approaches. He is showing that reflexivity and my respect for him has shot through the roof as a result.

And yet thats still not enough. Cooper shows respect (ALOT of respect) to fans he's accused of not doing enough. He tries more direct style and goes to 442 the footie is called boring , he calms down in interviews people still pick apart his conduct . It is our club and we need to back him more.. calling for his sacking 5 games into a madien season in the EFL is not a way of showing respect to anyone let alone someone so willing to learn.

His conduct and attitude this season has converted me from someone who wasn't sure about him to someone who I am sure about.
Last edited by fgr2016 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fgr2016
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Ninja hamster can expect a big turnout in the North Stand with them now they have pointed out the lack of queue for a cupper at half time!
camel
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Ninja Hamster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

camel wrote:Ninja hamster can expect a big turnout in the North Stand with them now they have pointed out the lack of queue for a cupper at half time!


We get real milk as well....

Ok, that's a lie. It's cabbage milk. Keep away
User avatar
Ninja Hamster
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Timb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

We lost then.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5023
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

fgr2016 wrote:Ahhh some positivity at last :) this has made me smile rather then then utterly stupid "cooper out" making the rounds on social media last night.

What's sad is this.

People have said Cooper should be more respectful of the fans. I'd agree some of his conduct towards fans last year was questionable. However, he has really turned a corner with this - he went as far to say that it's their right to support the club they want as they pay their money. That's further then even I'd go!!

People have said Cooper should show more flexibility. Again last year this was a fair comment. However this season he has shown a willingness to adapt and change - particularly last night.

People said Cooper needs to calm down. Again last year I felt he lost his bottle way too many times to the point where I said "Come on six missed chances" and he must have been on such tenderhooks he thought I said "Cooper" and he turned round and had a go at me. You look at him this year in the dug out (far calmer) and in interviews he's almost hovering in some Budda like state.

Point being is he is trying to learn , to adapt and to try different approaches. He is showing that reflexivity and my respect for him has shot through the roof as a result.

And yet thats still not enough. Cooper shows respect (ALOT of respect) to fans he's accused of not doing enough. He tries more direct style and goes to 442 the footie is called boring , he calms down in interviews people still pick apart his conduct . It is our club and we need to back him more.. calling for his sacking 5 games into a madien season in the EFL is not a way of showing respect to anyone let alone someone so willing to learn.

His conduct and attitude this season has converted me from someone who wasn't sure about him to someone who I am sure about.


Saturday promises a lot for me. If we lose, I really can't see myself able to continue backing him. Given how poor the summer transfer dealings were (including the total neglect of central midfield) it is his fault we are in this current predicament.
Your hands-down winner.
User avatar
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby tommyd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 pm

The problem is the expectation is there because of what dale and cooper have said. Im guessing due to ffp we have had to slash our spending which is why we spent nothing and have loaned a lot of youngsters in but if that's the case just be honest about it and say "we're in for a fight this year" that way fans would know what to expect and back the team, by raising expectations to the point where some people thought we'd get promoted only to start the way we have its no surprise people are starting to turn...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Jaceyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 pm

tommyd wrote:The problem is the expectation is there because of what dale and cooper have said. Im guessing due to ffp we have had to slash our spending which is why we spent nothing and have loaned a lot of youngsters in but if that's the case just be honest about it and say "we're in for a fight this year" that way fans would know what to expect and back the team, by raising expectations to the point where some people thought we'd get promoted only to start the way we have its no surprise people are starting to turn...


What was the expectation?

Data over the years proves that there is a small gap between the 2 leagues. The recruitment has been so incredibly abject that we have regressed. If we were back in the National League there's no way we'd be in the top half with this squad.

Expectation should have been about being solid this year, and we're an absolute mile away from that - NOT just in results, but in performance and that is the issue.
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby tommyd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Jaceyboy wrote:
tommyd wrote:The problem is the expectation is there because of what dale and cooper have said. Im guessing due to ffp we have had to slash our spending which is why we spent nothing and have loaned a lot of youngsters in but if that's the case just be honest about it and say "we're in for a fight this year" that way fans would know what to expect and back the team, by raising expectations to the point where some people thought we'd get promoted only to start the way we have its no surprise people are starting to turn...


What was the expectation?

Data over the years proves that there is a small gap between the 2 leagues. The recruitment has been so incredibly abject that we have regressed. If we were back in the National League there's no way we'd be in the top half with this squad.

Expectation should have been about being solid this year, and we're an absolute mile away from that - NOT just in results, but in performance and that is the issue.


I completely agree the squad is not good enough and have said myself we have gone backwards, my point was just that dale made it sound like we would be challenging for the playoffs which hasn't helped matters now that we are struggling.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 am

What I don't think has been mentioned is the tactic Lincoln employed whenever their player came off field to get his head wound bandaged.
He and the physios were slow to get off pitch and at one time Noble ran up to them and threw the medical bag off the play area.
Every time they treated player three or four Lincoln staff bunched together on the touchline, obstructing the linesman's view of game and obviously getting in his way whenever he had to go past them. [Presumably to get referee to stop game during treatment]

This is the second game this season where Scott L's sharp eyes has spotted dripping blood from an opponent's head wound and alerted the 4th official in a most animated fashion. :D

And what footwear has Doidgie got on his feet?
It is second game that it looks like he is wearing a pair of Doc Martin's!
Makes it easy to identify him in tackles - all black until mid calf.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby garyjj » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am

Financial fair play has nothing to do with it, Dale Vince isn't as rich as people think he is, all his money is in other companies all around the country, so yes he might be worth 100 odd million but he can't actually spend most of it as it's in 90 odd other companies!! That was clear when we spent hardly any of the pinnock money, most of that which we were free to spend has gone back into the club.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm

And what footwear has Doidgie got on his feet?
It is second game that it looks like he is wearing a pair of Doc Martin's!
Makes it easy to identify him in tackles - all black until mid calf.


:lol: hahaha
Tomiswalking
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm

From now on I'm going to be very careful what I post....
But we need some of the "out casts" back in the mix none of us know the in's and out's so some may be refusing to play and want to leave so we have to give cooper respect on that tho. But we need something a bit of spark a different option.
Win Saturday could be a spring board into mid table. KMB needs a chance if he gets it he has to prove his worth.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
User avatar
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Add Murphy and Robert as well as Kmb. Why would they not want to play for the club or MC, there wages get paid every month. I know Robert at shots on loan, but if plays well gotta b worth a recall.
20yrs and counting
Youth
Youth
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Foggy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Murphy is a striker, with league experience, who can score goals...isn't that something we are in need of at the moment...perhaps time for a humble pie dinner all round!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm not one of the Cooper-out brigade (far from it), but like others I do find what looks like a waste of good talent (e.g. KMB, Murphy) frustrating.

If last season's story about the 'are you with me or against me?' stuff is true, then it's worrying. Part of a manager's job in any walk of life is to get an often disparate bunch of individuals with different personalities to pull in the same direction. If you find yourself issuing those you manage with an ultimatum like 'are you with me or against me?', and find some against you, then what?
User avatar
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 pm

One thing we do seem to have with the current set of players, is good team spirit. They are all working hard. Maybe the management feel that allowing the likes of Robert and Murphy back in might ruin that?

Murphy played on loan in league 2 last season for Crawley, and was by all accounts rubbish. Why would he be good for us now? Robert is on loan at Aldershot currently, so will be interesting to see how he does, but from what I saw last season he isn't good enough for this level.

Keanu is a bit different, in that he hasn't been completely excluded this season, he has made a couple of appearances so maybe if he shows a willingness to work hard he might get another chance?

Whatever happens with those players, the main problem for us isn't scoring goals, it's conceding them. Start keeping clean sheets and I think we have the ability to get enough goals to win some games.
User avatar
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4164
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Foggy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I agree with Kentstripe about the team spirit and working hard. Coming back from two goals behind to win against Yeovil was a perfect example of that, there was a never say die attitude, we will need to draw on precisely that in the season ahead. On Tuesday evening I didn't see anyone who wasn't putting in the right level of effort, far from it, in the end it was just one error was the difference between the teams. This won't meet with widespread agreement I know, but I can accept my team losing if every player tries their best but it just isn't enough, they are beaten by a team that is just better...life and football are like that.

The problem with scoring goals is also a fair one, in most games at this level there are few clear chances, margins are fine. Keeping clean sheets has to be an aim, do that and you get at least a point from the game, it is up to you to unpick the opposing defence to make it all three. I think MC needs to work out pretty quickly what his preferred defence is, then stick with it for as long as possible, at least give those players a chance to work up an understanding together. On Tuesday night, particularly in the first half, I thought the defence performed well, they pushed up to almost the centre circle for goal-kicks. I accept that part of that was due to a gale at their backs, but it was effective and compressed the midfield, denying Lincoln space to work in.

People have talked, at some length, about the bond between fans, players and manager, that maybe it isn't as good as it could be. Perhaps we, the fans, should take the first move...there are after all considerably more of us. The sooner we can do this the better, we need a sort of siege mentality, we are all in it together...if we are going to achieve anything more than a dreaded return to non-league football it will be because we displayed a dogged spirit, we achieved it together...we will deserve nothing if we remain divided.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Great post Foggy, agree totally about the team giving 100%, as long as they come off the pitch knowing they did all they could then you cant expect more,
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Norton Boy wrote:Great post Foggy, agree totally about the team giving 100%, as long as they come off the pitch knowing they did all they could then you cant expect more,


Yea I'm in agreement with that plus the point about continuity in defence. I'm hoping for the same back 4 against PV as we had on Tuesday even though I think Monthe probably deserves a first team place
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8326
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby Justbecause » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Absolutely delighted that you filth are on your way back to the National League.
Justbecause
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christopher Coyle, Google [Bot] and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.