Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Lincoln City)

Postby FootieMan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 am

I posted this on another thread before leaving home.

[Quote ]
Just for the record I am unable to attend tonight against Lincoln City due to my footballing duties taking me 'Up North.'.

I hope the club can get a result by adopting a more secure formation which concentrates on defensive duties. A back four being a back four and not a lopsided three or absent two.

Lincoln clearly had the best manager in the National League last season by a country mile. Tactically sound and like Ferguson set up to play right through to the final whistle.

I expect this to be a close encounter for a number of reasons and hope that our tactics will bear some positive fruits.

One thing for sure League Two never has been, is nor will be a walk in the park. Those who thought different, then think again.
[Quote]

I cannot comment on a game I did not see and never will. But it was welcoming to hear tactics set out a 442 formation. Rome was not built in a day and what must be built has to be on firm foundations, The Cowley brothers are most k annoying but that is their deliberate style pitch side. OTheir antics wind up lots of people but not many clubs would turn them down if they were able to take them as their management team.

It pains me to see fans in despair but welcome to the club and the real world. In years gone by we were always 'in it together'. And by that I mean everyone. If the ship sinks then all go down? That's the way we often found collective strength before, so why not again?
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 am

The highlight of the night for me was watching the Lincoln fans get absolutely drenched. Never liked them horrible bunch.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Martin Toms » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 am

lovejoy2 wrote:Before today I thought we could still turn this round.
But we are doomed. So many poor decisions from manager and players.

The attitude of most of the players at full time was a disgrace. The team spirit we had in the playoffs has gone and they just don't care. Lincoln were poor and there for the taking but we have no bottle.

6 or 7 players walked straight off heads down and didn't even look at the supporters. They want support do something to earn it. Tonight the place was dead poor game and no atmosphere However they didn't get booed like Saturday and blanking the support is. It going to help. They did much better tonight and lost to one individual error however they looked down and out.

Completely disagree! The whole team worked their socks off last night, getting round the pitch making tackles, winning headers, last ditch blocks in the box, that was not a team that did not care or wasn't playing for the manager, that was a team struggling to get a win I would say but not through want of trying last night!
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 am

Trying to find some balance in my head.

Positives

We only conceded one goal and it came much later
The players seemed committed to trying to keep the ball out
Cooper seemed willing to go for a 442 formation to shore up the defence
Effort and work rate seemed high - Cooper hasn't lost the squad and they all talk about how hard they work to prepare - maybe this will pay off soon
Laird and Cooper sounded reasoned in their post match interviews

Concerns

We didn't create much, but then the conditions and refereeing was terrible and didn't help
Central midfield remains a concern
Some players didn't acknowledge the fans - this isn't going to help Cooper who needs a bond between fans and players. Is there a rift developing or are we reading too much in to this?
Brining on Jordan Stevens seemed unfair on the lad given the circumstances and it highlighted the absence of players purchased in the summer and KMB. A strange decision for that time of the game.

All in all its not the result we wanted, but in many ways the conditions last night make it hard to read too much in to things.

Personally the last 20mins or so when Lincoln defended well and were organised and we were a goal down screamed out for Marsh Brown who can create something from nowhere. Is there really no way back?

Port Vale away is a massive game for Cooper. Those who are so quick to back him should put their money where their mouth is (If they can) and be turning out in numbers, he needs as much as support as he can get, as do the players.

Statistically we shouldn't panic yet, but it needs an improvement in footballing terms and unity between fans, players and staff if we are to pull through - I still think more can be done by Cooper and the players on this.

I still hope it can be turned around, but the more bad results and underwhelming performances, the more it feels like an oil tanker.

Onwards and upwards. Three points at Port Vale will be a good start.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr2016 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 am

What is this obsession with KMB as if somehow he is the missing link.

It's not enough to have one flash of brilliance every so often to deserve a starting birth. Everytime he started last season, he ra out of puff so quickly that, unless that flash comes in the first 30 minutes, he is a liability to the rest of the team. Flair players must be able to sustain pace.

I'm sorry but I watched all last season and I found him on most days underwealming. Wembley everyone making a big fuss..he was barely there apart from one or two flashes. He was outshone by Woolery who gave a masterclass for how a flair players should respond.

I don't know what happened to that loaner Ched (Evans) but he is a far better option...as is will Randell as is Gomez.

End of the day I don't think cooper would leave him out this way unless there was an exceptionally good reason of which none of us will ever be privy to. No matter how much we think we have an inside track.
fgr2016
Trainee
Trainee

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 am

With KMB even if we all subscribed to this idea he does only do it every now and then that it's still more than some of the players in the current squad will ever do sadly.

He was second top scorer despite being frozen out last season and has produced when it matters.

Irrespective of all the previous chat, last night against a well organised team willing to sit in and defend their league he is the type of player we needed to try and create a goal from nowhere. It just feels like a wasted asset at a time where we need all the help we can get.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 am

I don't think any one player is the answer; it is collectively that we have to be better. I thought that there were further signs of improvement - in some regards at least - last night. Certainly the players worked very hard and were committed to the cause. The issues are around our main players not being on form. Doidge needs a win as much as a goal, Noble is just not on top form creatively and Bennett - for all his positive qualities - was the defender making the crucial error last night. We miss Russell's familiarity and steadiness in goal - although Collins didn't play badly last night and made a couple of good saves.

Last night was the first game I have seen that I didn't enjoy. The football was largely rubbish quality. That was largely down to the weather conditions but Lincoln are an ugly, physical, verging on cheating team and with our more direct approach, we didn't shine. Lincoln were strong and better than us all over the pitch but we didn't give up, lost an unfortunate goal and didn't have much luck in their box. It was a disappointing result and while Lincoln deserved to win, the manner of the defeat was unfortunate.

On to Port Vale. They will be low on confidence too and so we have to start strong and get onto the front foot. As usual, whoever scores first will have a huge advantage given the boost in confidence a goal will bring.

I thought the officials were poor last night. The 4th official did nothing about the Liincoln coaches encroaching on the pitch and the ref got a lot of things wrong.

I thought the crowd got behind the team well last night; no complaints from MC I hope. I think the fact that the players didn't come over and thank the crowd was because of the distraction of Rhead's typical antics and the disappointment of the loss. We just have to keep giving as much unconditional love as we can.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 am

FootieMan wrote:I posted this on another thread before leaving home.

[Quote ]
Just for the record I am unable to attend tonight against Lincoln City due to my footballing duties taking me 'Up North.'.

I hope the club can get a result by adopting a more secure formation which concentrates on defensive duties. A back four being a back four and not a lopsided three or absent two.

Lincoln clearly had the best manager in the National League last season by a country mile. Tactically sound and like Ferguson set up to play right through to the final whistle.

I expect this to be a close encounter for a number of reasons and hope that our tactics will bear some positive fruits.

One thing for sure League Two never has been, is nor will be a walk in the park. Those who thought different, then think again.

I cannot comment on a game I did not see and never will. But it was welcoming to hear tactics set out a 442 formation. Rome was not built in a day and what must be built has to be on firm foundations, The Cowley brothers are most k annoying but that is their deliberate style pitch side. OTheir antics wind up lots of people but not many clubs would turn them down if they were able to take them as their management team.

It pains me to see fans in despair but welcome to the club and the real world. In years gone by we were always 'in it together'. And by that I mean everyone. If the ship sinks then all go down? That's the way we often found collective strength before, so why not again?

I find it amusing so many people condemn the Cowleys when they probably watched the last half hour at Wembley against Tranmere. We demonstrated all the gamesmanship that Lincoln do.

Rather than hammering the Cowleys perhaps we should all be looking at how they built for this season, set their teams up and get them to play.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 am

Credit to the Cowley's in my book. They know how to win and their teams always seem to know exactly what is expected of them and are committed to achieving it. Like KGIII says we all applauded the same tactics at Wembley and again against Yeovil.

Last season they spoke very well throughout the highs and lows to keep them on an even level. They inspired a whole City to get involved in the club again and created a real community feel and unity between fans, players and management.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 am

KGIii
EXACTLY
I watched Danny and Nicky more times than anyone else last season. I also happen to know them personally. I know their game plan and work ethic around match tactics That is why opposition and match officials do not like their style. And if they are not controlled effectively they will run the game their way to their advantage. It's called game management.

If they were the management team of my club I would love it. They get results when most wouldn't and believe you me I know the top managers who they have gone to work and study with since they took up management at Concord Rangers. They are insatiable to learn from those above them. Their,pre match planning is ruthless.

I didn't need to be there last night to know how they would influence the game. I warned everyone in my pre match post, which you kindly have quoted.

The higher up the footbal pyramid you climb those small, yet signification things, make all the difference. It doesn't come naturally for them, It is something they have learnt and practice to good effect.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am

Right - The Cowleys are excellent coaches/managers. But they should have been kept within the rules by the 4th official standing two yards away from them. Rhead is just a nasty bit of work imo.

We need to be more streetwise just as Lincoln are. MC has adapted to the pressure he is under by changing formation. Judging from the levels of application and commitment last night, the players have taken on the message and are responding too. It may still not be enough but at least we are trying.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 am

The Lincoln team we played this time were way below last year's team. Probably due to the likes of Angol missing. How many times have we now seen Rhead's antics, the Cowley Brothers etc...

Surely manager and team should have expected the debarcle.

I'm beginning to think more and more that Liam Noble should not be captain, he's certainly no calming influence and perhaps he should be communicating more on the pitch which might do something to help general communication between players. I've now seen him sulk, stomp and argue, but seen none of the assets that a captain should have. Never mind his playing which, this year has been way off. Maybe we should have let him go when he wanted to rather than (allegedly) throw money at him to stay.

I think that one of the best things to turn this around would be to either give him a rest or replace him.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Let's stop with the stupid corner routine as well, never seems to go near a Rovers head and there's been a few times now this season where the opposition have scored immediately after we've had an attacking set piece
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 am

Game never going to be other than scrappy, awful weather, we were 100% committed , we were unlucky with the goal, we were out managed by a team that bully and will do anything to gain control and we were 100% never going to score! Team doing their very best but a very poor second to the team we had last season, better players seem confidence free, Noble is losing plot, fans and respect, Cooper Jnr who started to shine back end last season is trudging same route and Cooper Snr needs to accept that criticism is part of his highly paid job and start winning back the fans by simply acknowledging us!! Only a handful of players came over to south stand last nite and I know all will have been gutted but we are the 12th man I spoke of earlier in season so don't dismiss us. The Crowley bros were (despite being very annoying) an example of how to treat fans and how to manage a game, MC, take notes!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am

lovejoy2 wrote:6 or 7 players walked straight off heads down and didn't even look at the supporters. They want support do something to earn it. Tonight the place was dead poor game and no atmosphere However they didn't get booed like Saturday and blanking the support is. It going to help. They did much better tonight and lost to one individual error however they looked down and out.

The problem here is that rightly or wrongly, some of the players who got us promoted obviously feel a lack of loyalty from some of the fans. Whatever some may feel about the manager, as soon as you vicariously target players to get at him it damages the relationship between players and fans.

Yes they haven't been getting results but the effort has always been there, it's easy to cheer on a winning team but the fact is it's only taken 5 or 6 games this season for some the fans to turn on them. Put yourself in their shoes and you can imagine how they feel. They're struggling right now, and ideally they need support. It only takes a vocal minority to make people feel under attack, and that is what's happened. It gets magnified when things go wrong, because they'll already be p***ed off enough as it is without feeling their own fans are turning on them.

If ultimately they aren't good enough for this level, it isn't their fault, they didn't sign themselves or pick themselves, so as long as the effort is there they deserve encouragement. It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

Bridges need to be built on both sides, which is ridiculous really given it was only 4 months ago quite a few of them, including Charlie Cooper were apparently heroes.

Not booeing the team is a good start I suppose.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

Just watched the goal (twice !!!) on Sky website. It really was as bad as I remembered. A hoofed clearance out of defence - the ball clears Dale in the swirling wind and I've no idea what on earth Collins (keeper) thought he was doing. A tidy finish in the end but in truth another gift of a goal. :roll:
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 am

It's interesting to note that with the already much maligned (by some) experienced pairing of Collins and Roberts at the back, we actually looked a lot more solid. This is something we should persist with, as I feel experience/know how of this level, particularly in defence, is going to help us become harder to break down.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:13 am

FootieMan wrote:
If they were the management team of my club I would love it.

Not often I disagree with you FootieMan, but I wouldn't.

I would not pay to watch Lincoln every week - and I am tired of this phrase 'gamesmanship'; why can't we just call it 'cheating' or 'breaking the rules' which is what it is? And why won't officials combat it?

As for the histrionics from the Cowley boys on the touchline, I cannot imagine they learnt that from any other manager worthy of the name? Again, watching one game of that nonsense (and the language) per season is MORE than enough for me. I applaud much of what they have done for the club OFF the pitch and the way they have clearly got the fanbase on board, but if THAT is the way they get results ON the pitch, I would not want them at FGR.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 am

Kentstripe wrote:
lovejoy2 wrote:6 or 7 players walked straight off heads down and didn't even look at the supporters. They want support do something to earn it. Tonight the place was dead poor game and no atmosphere However they didn't get booed like Saturday and blanking the support is. It going to help. They did much better tonight and lost to one individual error however they looked down and out.

The problem here is that rightly or wrongly, some of the players who got us promoted obviously feel a lack of loyalty from some of the fans. Whatever some may feel about the manager, as soon as you vicariously target players to get at him it damages the relationship between players and fans.

Yes they haven't been getting results but the effort has always been there, it's easy to cheer on a winning team but the fact is it's only taken 5 or 6 games this season for some the fans to turn on them. Put yourself in their shoes and you can imagine how they feel. They're struggling right now, and ideally they need support. It only takes a vocal minority to make people feel under attack, and that is what's happened. It gets magnified when things go wrong, because they'll already be p***ed off enough as it is without feeling their own fans are turning on them.

If ultimately they aren't good enough for this level, it isn't their fault, they didn't sign themselves or pick themselves, so as long as the effort is there they deserve encouragement. It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

Bridges need to be built on both sides, which is ridiculous really given it was only 4 months ago quite a few of them, including Charlie Cooper were apparently heroes.

Not booeing the team is a good start I suppose.

Is there a lack of loyalty? 1500 of us watched that dross last night, 2000 of us watched that dross on Saturday, 200+ travelled to Wycombe to watch a non-contest and a decent number travelled to Colchester to see us humiliated. The only player who has received some harsh treatment is Charlie Cooper on one occasion and that was pretty mild really. Noble hasn't, Doidge hasn't, Bennett hasn't, Traore hasn't, Mullings hasn't. Neither have any of the new signings. Yesterday the support was pretty decent I thought all things considered
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Bronco wrote:Is there a lack of loyalty? 1500 of us watched that dross last night, 2000 of us watched that dross on Saturday, 200+ travelled to Wycombe to watch a non-contest and a decent number travelled to Colchester to see us humiliated. The only player who has received some harsh treatment is Charlie Cooper on one occasion and that was pretty mild really. Noble hasn't, Doidge hasn't, Bennett hasn't, Traore hasn't, Mullings hasn't. Neither have any of the new signings. Yesterday the support was pretty decent I thought all things considered

We all know that it isn't the majority of fans having a go, but from the players perspective, all they know is some have and that wlll hurt. Should it? Probably not but I suppose having got promoted they weren't expecting this.

And it's not about how many turn up, that's for the board to care about. I doubt the players care about the exact numbers. What matters most from their perspective is those that are there make noise and get behind the team.

Treat any member of a team harshly, and it affects them all. Also, I would say chanting names of players who have left/aren't in the team, whatever the intention, is going to be taken as a big **** you to those that are on the pitch.

Bridges need to be built from both sides, it can't be "them and us" these are the players we have got and they are our only hope of improving. Backing all of them when they're on the pitch, even if they're behind, is the only thing fans can do to try and help.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team