The end is nigh for Cooper

All about our First Team

Re: The end is nigh for Cooper

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Pennock froze a load of players out, Stokes, Taylor, Russell, Oshodi, Norwood etc etc. It's not something I necessarily agree with, but it seems to be a common occurrence. Managers need a squad that fully believes in the direction/style of play the team is headed in. Anyone not buying/fitting in is likely to get sidelined.
Fans might not like it, but the managers priority can't be to pick a team based on fans favourites.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Yes, Pennock was not much different but the scale seemed slightly less. But maybe that's rose tinted glasses 8-)
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm

The bit of course that nobody seems to mention when they are all deciding MC should go yesterday/next defeat/xmas etc is that is nothing to do with us what so ever.Only one man will decide if it is time for him to go and that is his boss, the one he actually has to answer too.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Pennock froze a load of players out, Stokes, Taylor, Russell, Oshodi, Norwood etc etc. It's not something I necessarily agree with, but it seems to be a common occurrence. Managers need a squad that fully believes in the direction/style of play the team is headed in. Anyone not buying/fitting in is likely to get sidelined.
Fans might not like it, but the managers priority can't be to pick a team based on fans favourites.

And a load of good it did him too.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Pennock froze a load of players out, Stokes, Taylor, Russell, Oshodi, Norwood etc etc. It's not something I necessarily agree with, but it seems to be a common occurrence. Managers need a squad that fully believes in the direction/style of play the team is headed in. Anyone not buying/fitting in is likely to get sidelined.

Not blaming you as it's a word thrown around but "frozen out" is a poor word. It's exactly what you explain. That term suggests something negative. It's not, a manager has to manage and select his preferred squad and team. It's part of the job description hence why such a poor term.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dangers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:24 pm

How about everybody cools it Fans, MC & the players.
Everyone has there opinion - let the Manager, Coaches & players player at least a 1/3 of the season without all this doom and gloom hanging over them.
See the Cheltenham response (I realise they have not had the beatings we have but panic buttons are too early even though we have been terrible).
This modern world is full of instant gratification - this is not possible in most walks of life.

Cheltenham Town manager Gary Johnson says he is not planning any "drastic" action to try to arrest the club's poor start to the League Two season.

The Robins lost for the fourth time in five games on Tuesday at Newport County by a single goal and have taken only one point from the last available 15.

"We've got beaten 1-0 now twice and drew 0-0, so we're in these games," Johnson told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

"We're just not getting our noses in front."

Cheltenham finished 21st last season, four points above the relegation zone, in their first campaign back in League Two after winning promotion from the National League in 2015-16.

But this term has been tough with only one win - 1-0 against Crawley in the first home game of the season - from the opening seven matches.

Despite that, Johnson says confidence has been unaffected.

"It sounded like it in the dressing room because we think nothing's ever as good or nothing's ever as bad," the 61-year-old said.

"You can't do anything drastic. You have to keep going and hope the faith you show in people gives them that confidence to go on and get that goal.

"We've created more opportunities than the opposition but, once again, they've scored more goals than us."
dangers
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Dangers, perhaps those on the staff should do something to stop the doom and gloom hanging above them. I appreciate that would be an unusual expectation on here.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

3 months ago MC was a hero and anyone saying he should be sacked get in the real world and to be honest I moved from from the South Stand to the West Terrace because of all the -hit I use to hear, I am now in the North Stand and hear the same rubbish. We are now a league club far far times of being called Stroud FC. We need to get behind this team, manager and backroom staff anyone thinking this season of promotion or top half please can I have some of your happy juice. Just staying in this league would be quite an achievement.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby Jaceyboy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
Jaceyboy wrote:What's the definition of insanity Tommo?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results. That is what we are collectively doing by sending Cooper and team out every game day and expecting it to click.

Which is what we did last season, and got promoted.

Under DH, after several seasons of failure, I understood where you were coming from. No matter how long he got, it wasn't going to improve. This time though, we are only 7 games into a season under a manager who has actually achieved something,

A) Last season was totally different, let's be honest

B) MC is no DH

C) Most importantly, you can not make business decisions based on sentiment. So what if he achieved promotion, he (unless others were involved) has made a horrific error over the summer - the evidence is now perfectly clear. Sometimes you must then pay for those errors, regardless of your previous successes. In any case, one could argue that winning the play offs was only just meeting expectations........... but that's an argument for another day.
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 am

He was manager when we got promoted. Had loads of money to do it, took over a team who where already in the playoffs, brought his own staff.

What's heroic about that?

I mean I enjoyed the season and wembley was so good, but I don't remember thinking ahh without cooper we wouldnt have done this or.. he's a hero.

I just remember an angry man who paces on to the pitch ignoring the fans, spends most of the game looking annoyed. Salutes Vince at the end and walks off. Because apart from the rumors of how he treats players, that is all I see.

I imagine he's friendlier to the fans at away games, but I cant make very many of them.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Running Rover » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 am

Tomiswalking wrote:He was manager when we got promoted. Had loads of money to do it, took over a team who where already in the playoffs, brought his own staff.

What's heroic about that?

I mean I enjoyed the season and wembley was so good, but I don't remember thinking ahh without cooper we wouldnt have done this or.. he's a hero.

I just remember an angry man who paces on to the pitch ignoring the fans, spends most of the game looking annoyed. Salutes Vince at the end and walks off. Because apart from the rumors of how he treats players, that is all I see.

I imagine he's friendlier to the fans at away games, but I cant make very many of them.

Good summary and pretty much how I see things.

MC does seem an angry man a lot of the time and I find it hard to understand how he inspires players. Even when we were winning games most of last season, he came across as a bit arrogant and abrupt in most of his interviews. It will be interesting to see how he is if we keep losing games!

I think it's way too early to start talking about sacking him, but something has to change and it has to change pretty sharpish. I sincerely hope MC and his staff turn things it round and it's only fair he has a chance to do that. If we get to Christmas and we're in the mire, then I think DV may have a very difficult decision to make though.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm

The Running Rover wrote:MC does seem an angry man a lot of the time and I find it hard to understand how he inspires players. Even when we were winning games most of last season, he came across as a bit arrogant and abrupt in most of his interviews. It will be interesting to see how he is if we keep losing games!

I think it's way too early to start talking about sacking him, but something has to change and it has to change pretty sharpish. I sincerely hope MC and his staff turn things it round and it's only fair he has a chance to do that. If we get to Christmas and we're in the mire, then I think DV may have a very difficult decision to make though.

I agree with the second paragraph here. Dale surely can't afford relegation and the need for another cycle of re-investment that that will bring. From past meet the fans sessions, the impression I got was that he was investing around 1m a year but that he expected to get £750k of that back once we got promoted through the TV money/EFL handouts and so he reckoned on being around about sustainable. There were lots of issues with that I thought like cost of policing, better players etc but I didn't get the impression that we were going to invest a huge mount more in the players. Maybe I didn't get the right end of the stick or the numbers have moved on but I think the current squad is no better than last year because it probably costs about the same as last years.

But now we are with clubs with much bigger budgets and our momentum from last season has dissipated quicker than maybe we all expected. Going back down will just put Dale back to square 1 financially and with no momentum - although I guess we would get a parachute payment for a while.

On the first paragraph I think that this is how MC was last year - perpetually angry and dissatisfied. I think he has softened a bit this year though and I prefer his demeanour now. Whether it will last if results continue to be poor I don't know but I think he has learnt a few lessons from last year (and more to go).
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm undecided on MC's management ability at the moment, and will want to watch more before coming to my own conclusion.

Have to say, MC, the person is far preferable this year and he comes across very well to me.

I don't want him to go, I want him to succeed.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Likewise I want MC to succeed, he wants to play football "the right way", just not got the squad to keep it tight to enable us to do so. Think he's realising L2 is strong this yr and we have to now grind and do the dirty stuff to get results. Though I am struggling to see 2 worst squads than ours this season. That's not to say we will go down, we may just have to be savvy and play for points rather than attractive football.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Double Glazier » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm

You can ask Mark Cooper & Dale Vince how they see the season going at the 'Meet the Manager' hosted by Bob Hunt on Thursday 21 Sept in the Carol Embrey at 8:00pm after the Supporters Club AGM. Meet the Manager is open to all.

Alternatively listen to 3 generations of the Cooper family - Terry, Mark & Charlie - being interviewed by Bob Hunt at the Sporting Dinner on Thursday 12 Oct in the CE.
Double Glazier
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm

How do i get details of the Sports dinner at TNL with the Coopers?.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Double Glazier wrote:You can ask Mark Cooper & Dale Vince how they see the season going at the 'Meet the Manager' hosted by Bob Hunt on Thursday 21 Sept in the Carol Embrey at 8:00pm after the Supporters Club AGM. Meet the Manager is open to all.

Alternatively listen to 3 generations of the Cooper family - Terry, Mark & Charlie - being interviewed by Bob Hunt at the Sporting Dinner on Thursday 12 Oct in the CE.

No thanks, will be heavily censored. :cry:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi
GETCARTER wrote:
Where can i get details of the Terry Cooper sports dinner ?.

Where you'd expect to find it.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi Greeners, Nothing on club website re: the dinner, so where?.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm

GETCARTER wrote:How do i get details of the Sports dinner at TNL with the Coopers?.

On this forum.
Board index at top of page.
Supporters Club.
Sporting dinner.
:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team