Survival is all that's required this year

All about our First Team

Survival is all that's required this year

Postby Zodiac » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am

I do have a laugh reading the posts lately , calling for the sacking of the manger who got us into the football league for first time in the club's history,
You all need to take a reality check and see all we need is to stay in league 2 this season , stop putting pressure on the manager and team , get behind the team and enjoy the ride, doesn't matter if we come in the bottom half of the table in the first season , I actually think it will do the club good , it will make the club more humble and more grounded for the long future ahead.
Zodiac
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Survival is all that's required this year

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

Weird you seem to think that survival is guaranteed
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

I agree with Zodiac. Survival in league 2 is the target. Anything else is a bonus.

And no, it's not guaranteed. But if there were any guarantees then sport would be boring and predictable.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I agree with Zodiac. Survival in league 2 is the target. Anything else is a bonus.

And no, it's not guaranteed. But if there were any guarantees then sport would be boring and predictable.

I agree
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Agreed. Survive and entertain this year. Mid table next year and play-offs the year after.

That would be good.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Something has to change for us to survive. Keep the same team 4 or so games in a row to gel. Play same defence as Tues, Wish and Randall on the flanks, Nobes and Traore CM, Bugiel just behind Doidge up front. We then have the energy of CC, Brown, Mullings,James , Gomes or Monthe on the bench.

If results still not good I would attempt to turn Manny into a defensive mid, a lot of untapped potential. Still can't believe we are paying good wages for the players in exile and that all concerned cannot just grow up and stick together for the good of the survival in league 2.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Agree about the unused players KMB Murphy and Robert, they must be a drain on the finances, lets hope that they are either brought back into the fold or something can be worked out in January to pad out the purse a bit for any strengthening required.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Hope this, hope that!!!

Cooper is the only person who can sort this, and he isn't!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 am

I like to be optimistic,but frankly-i just can't see FGR accumulating many points between now mid January .

by then-FGR will be well rooted to the foot of the table.

it may just be that DV either cannot-or choses not - to aim for survival-he may think that take the parachute payment ,take the drop, and go again in national league next season.

Understandably-so many want to give their best team-self included -we are all armchair managers -but no matter what combination anyone of us come up with-fundamentally-the players are not good enough.

I have been staggered by the difference in quality between National league and EFL2 .

fortunately-i am allowed to be staggered as i do not get paid to know that type of thing.
after 22 years of watching various team at national/conference level-i had a bit of a clue,but was clueless on EFL

MR Cooper should not have been surprised -albeit i do have a gut feel only that EFL2 is a higher standard this year than last.

I have also watched the EFL goal highlights show this week-that was equally eye opening-in most games-the goals came from good movement/quality finishing .Again- at a much much different level to national league.

Always optimistic-even in the many years that FGR were striving off relegation-went to most games thinking -they have a chance-and to be fair-they would win just enough, but i do not get the slightest inkling of that feeling this season.

I just can't see where the next point is coming from-and frankly-i think results will get worse not better.

lots of stuff about FGR 'gelling'(gelling is an excuse for failure imo ) and improving-maybe that will happen-but the same will occur at other sides

sorry-i am not a rose tinted specs type of guy-simply realistic-but with my own appraisal-and so so hope to be incredibly wrong
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:27 am

With the money spent it wasn't that big an achievement getting into the league. Yes for the club and fans it was massive but its not like Leicester winning the prem so that argument falls flat. Plus the fact that just because you've been promoted doesn't mean you can't get relegated...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 am

tommyd wrote:With the money spent it wasn't that big an achievement getting into the league. Yes for the club and fans it was massive but its not like Leicester winning the prem so that argument falls flat. Plus the fact that just because you've been promoted doesn't mean you can't get relegated...

It is very tough to get out of the National league, just look how long it took the likes of Cambridge, Oxford, Luton, Lincoln, Grimsby etc all with big crowds and good budgets. Wrexham are still down there and Tranmere despite all their money and Mellon in charge are hardly doing well so far this year. Eastleigh keep throwing money at it as well, and get nowhere.

We made one of the hardest steps there is to make last season, don't underestimate that.

What Leicester did was a fluke, no other club will replicate that so no point anyone comparing themselves to it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:05 am

Waste of time making that step if you fall straight back down it.

I'm not saying it was easy im just saying that taking away the fact it was the first time we've done it that it wasn't that big an achievement, nor would it be if any of those other clubs you mentioned came up. everything was in place to make it happen and that it was inevitable given the financial backing, of course that's not everything though. We got through the lottery of the playoffs which was great but last season wasn't without its share of cooper related negativity and drama either...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 am

I get what you mean TommyD.

Last season was a real paradox. Having the best squad in the national league for some time and finishing third and looking so average for the second half of the season along with off field antics seemed a real underachievement.

The playoffs was obviously a success and ultimately that's what counted.

But there is also an irony that if Cooper leaves before the end of the season he will have never have given the club it's highest ever league finish which is still held by Pennock.

Yes staying up is ultimately the bare minimum needed this year. But going back down will be an absolute nightmare. It took so long to get up and I don't think we could expect to come straight back up. I expect we would lose the majority of the squad and have a total rebuild with a new manager. It would all be a very expensive failure and probably more expensive than paying a bit more on wages this season and staying up.

Between now and Jan 1st will be interesting, but so will January, wherever we are in the league.

We have the players we have now and all we can ask is they give 100%. We also need Cooper to give them the best foundation to perform by picking consistent teams etc.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Interesting thread and I do agree by the way that we must above all else make sure we stay in L2. Quite a different approach though for the Cowley brothers who I'm sure have a play off spot in their targets for the season ............. just saying. If we aim "low" then sure as eggs are eggs that's what we'll get !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Interesting thread and I do agree by the way that we must above all else make sure we stay in L2. Quite a different approach though for the Cowley brothers who I'm sure have a play off spot in their targets for the season ............. just saying. If we aim "low" then sure as eggs are eggs that's what we'll get !!

Quite right to a point. I think I and some others said a while ago how the first few games are really important because it sets expectations. Sometimes those expectations become self limiting.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:47 pm

camel wrote:I get what you mean TommyD.

Last season was a real paradox. Having the best squad in the national league for some time and finishing third and looking so average for the second half of the season along with off field antics seemed a real underachievement.

The playoffs was obviously a success and ultimately that's what counted.

I don't agree with the idea that we had one of the best squads in the national league for some time, Lincoln and Tranmere were both stronger on paper. The only players you could make a strong argument for being the best in the division in their positions were Bennett, Noble and Doidge. And even then that would be debatable. I would actually even say that the team we had 07-08 was man for man better then what we had last season, although it lacked the depth. The league was a lot stronger at that time.

Also you have to bear in mind that the remit wasn't just promotion, it was to completely change the style of play, which as has been shown at other clubs this season, isn't an easy thing to do. That made last season a likely transitional season, looking back at peoples predictions many expected it to be.

To make it worthwhile though, we have to stay up this season, which I think we will.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:21 pm

'To make it worthwhile though, we have to stay up this season, which I think we will.'

You may be right/you may be wrong -i simply wondered why do you think that way KS ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

michael wrote:'To make it worthwhile though, we have to stay up this season, which I think we will.'

You may be right/you may be wrong -i simply wondered why do you think that way KS ?

See my post on the summer transfer recruitment thread. I genuinely think a number of players we have signed are better then they have been showing up to this point.

We have lost a lot of games due to individual errors, stop those, continue to focus on solidifying the defence and we'll pick up points. Keep picking the most experienced defence for a sustained period, like we did on Tuesday, ideally with Russell behind them and take less risks with the ball, and clean sheets will start to follow.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Understand.

hope you are right (there's that fluffy hope word again )

admitt4dly-ioutside of the friendlies-i have only seen a couple of games-and like yourself-i endeavour to look beyond the immediate to what will be (note-will-not should )

often that gives me encouragement-but i have to say-looking beyond the immediate -i cannot see it from this group-

to me--good players that they are many look way off the quality of other players/teams at this level,so i can't see much improvement being forthcoming-but look forward to being proved very wrong
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I think that what we saw on Tuesday night was an attempt to rebuild the team, without changing the players. Work seemed to be done on building a strong back four and for the most it worked, as we looked much more confident at the back. Hopefully (there's that word again!) we can build on that tomorrow and then start to rebuild the midfield, and put more of a sting in the attack.

I liked to see Shamir up front with Doidge, so hopefully that can continue.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team