Dan Wishart

All about our First Team

Dan Wishart

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm just wondering why he doesn't get mentioned very much or appear in posters favoured starting XI's.
One other person noticed he wasn't even on the bench last night and suggested he might be on the naughty step. Either that or injured maybe because I can't imagine why else he wouldn't be playing.

From what I've heard (after listening to every match commentary) and seen on Saturday, he should be getting far more game time in my opinion.
He was outstanding against Newport, when he played midfield and seemed to excel with a change of position. He rightly won MOM. Watching MC's interview afterwards, he appeared to praise him begrudgingly as if he wasn't so impressed. Not sure why but just a feeling I got.

He did start against Wycombe but we didn't come to life until the second half and he'd been subbed by then. He was on the bench on Saturday and I noticed he did make a difference and worked hard when he came on.
There are certain players who always get mentioned and praised regularly on here: Doidge, Drissa, Bennett, Liam, Laird, Lee C, Keanu etc but DW is somewhat invisible!

I can't compare his performances with the end of last season (I'm assuming he played in our back 4?) but I have been impressed with him and I think we could do with his presence a bit more often.

Opinions?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dan Wishart

Postby timelapse 72 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Great going forward although not so great defensively & can switch off.
A good squad player to have around the place & will throw himself into whatever comes his way, useful in what looks like a long relegation battle ahead.
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Was rubbish last season. A left back who can't play his position hence why Laird will always start by default. He's got a bit of pace and can put a decent ball in so he might be useful sometimes but he's not good enough to start regularly
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm

timelapse 72 wrote:Great going forward although not so great defensively & can switch off.
A good squad player to have around the place & will throw himself into whatever comes his way, useful in what looks like a long relegation battle ahead.

Spot on imo.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Bronco wrote:Was rubbish last season. A left back who can't play his position hence why Laird will always start by default. He's got a bit of pace and can put a decent ball in so he might be useful sometimes but he's not good enough to start regularly

A left back who can't play his position so might be far better in another one?!
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Wishart appeared on a "10 to watch" looking at who could be the next big thing when he was at Sutton. He came to FGR at a time we were starting to struggle from memory and his confidence seemed to drain away. He did get caught out of position but I think it was part system/instructions part his own making. He seemed to not want to cross but his instructions from Cooper quite often were "find a green man" so he'd go for a safe option. It took away a bit of his natural instinct going forward. But as the season grew he got a bit better towards the finale. You would have thought in the games against the top few teams he may come in to his own on the left and offer Laird protection from midfield, especially with work horse James on the right. As has been said, he will work hard and give everything, whatever he is asked to do.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 pm

England C international don't forget.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm

GETCARTER wrote:England C international don't forget.

That doesn't mean anything in itself as players are selected by age.

Wishart is another who falls into the Cooper/Mullings category of reasonable top 5 side National League players who aren't EFL standard. However, given Laird's slip ups can he be worse? Or would that just be another case of shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
Bronco wrote:Was rubbish last season. A left back who can't play his position hence why Laird will always start by default. He's got a bit of pace and can put a decent ball in so he might be useful sometimes but he's not good enough to start regularly

It's late in his career to suddenly decide that. If a player is underwhelming at his preferred position of LB in the conference then I am sceptical that he can excel at a new position in a higher league. It's worth keeping him involved but he's not going to be an integral first team player
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Bronco wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:

It's late in his career to suddenly decide that. If a player is underwhelming at his preferred position of LB in the conference then I am sceptical that he can excel at a new position in a higher league. It's worth keeping him involved but he's not going to be an integral first team player

I don't think 25 is too late to improve a career. Possibly he's just been playing in wrong position all this time. I didn't see him play at left back so can't comment. Maybe he was awful.

I just think he may do better further forward and might even score a few if given the chance.
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I think he played center forward until quite late in his youth football career.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Bronco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 pm

camel wrote:I think he played center forward until quite late in his youth football career.

Interesting, didn't know that
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:26 pm

camel wrote:I think he played center forward until quite late in his youth football career.

And into his senior career as well. Played up front and scored against us at TNL in 2012 for Hayes & Yeading.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 am

Personally I believe Wish is a good fit for the left midfield slot in a 442. Provides good defensive back up for Laird, has pace, power and can shoot. Needs to work on crossing and positional sense. Looked the fittest player in pre-season and looks confident. Would like him on the left and Randell on the right, Traore and Nobes in the centre. That way CC and Gomes can provide from the bench.

Admit Wish did good job vs Newport, albeit against mostly reserve team in a cup match, but truly believe Wish deserves a 3 match run in the team, show us what he can do.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby lovejoy2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 pm

The way Laird has been playing Dan deserves a chance at left back. I know he can be caught out but is much quicker than Laird which may help.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:14 am

Why not try Wish at LM in front of Laird? That would be more solid defensively + Wish can bomb forward when needed.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am

cookiemonster wrote:Why not try Wish at LM in front of Laird? That would be more solid defensively + Wish can bomb forward when needed.

Its all swings and roundabouts though - if we play Wishart then we lose the threat from one of Randall, Gomes or James. For me, Randall and James didn't do enough to justify a starting slot on Friday so maybe Wishart could fit in but we still have to find space for Bugeil and Gomes I think.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Tommo wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:Why not try Wish at LM in front of Laird? That would be more solid defensively + Wish can bomb forward when needed.

Its all swings and roundabouts though - if we play Wishart then we lose the threat from one of Randall, Gomes or James. For me, Randall and James didn't do enough to justify a starting slot on Friday so maybe Wishart could fit in but we still have to find space for Bugeil and Gomes I think.

i did not see saturdays game-but you look at the signing of these academy type players -and the likes of james-and i just wonder why they were signed in the first place, .easy to be wise in hindsight-but i think most could see the academy players rarely work, and players from a similar level but who were released -for a reason-also rarely work-so why were they signed ?
its been so good under MC previously-but it like chalk and cheese this season -why
(unfortunately i cannot get there thursday to ask the question )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm

We may have not seen many academy players come through in the past, but I sense 'the times they are a changin' with the current crop. Moreover the academy is well run,well staffed and enjoys good facilities. They will soon be based near the club.

Two of our recent opponents Colchester and Exeter really make their academies work for them - both through players coming through into the first team and selling on academy players for huge amounts of money.

I'm sure we will see some of Scott's babes come through and step up to league football with us or a club higher up the football pyramid.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Tommo wrote:

Could we not play Gomes & Wishart at the same time? Those two flying on the wings, Drissa and Liam in the centre, Doidge & Bugiel up front. Heaven maybe?

Only problem with that is CC will be on the bench so I'm probably dreaming!
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team