Quiz the bosses this Thursday

All about our First Team

Re: Quiz the bosses this Thursday

Postby Martin Toms » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:08 pm

camel wrote:The KMB thing will run and run until one of the following;

A) KMB leaves
B) MC leaves
C) MC swallows some pride and brings him back in to the fold.

He has qualities no other player seems to have in our squad at the moment so it's to our detriment that this situation exists.

I think MCs handling of it in public has been distasteful personally. He seems to ignore the contribution he made last season and that MC made the same allegations last season before KMB came back in and played a pivotal role in our promotion.

I hope for our sake there is reconciliation, but I don't hold much hope.

MC can't really win there when you say about his handling of the situation in public. He gets asked a question by a reporter, probably based on fans asking these questions and he answers the question. If he doesn't answer the question he gets hammered for not being open about the situation. He hasn't publicly gone out of his way to speak about the KMB situation, he has answered questions on it that's all. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what our opinion of KMB is he is the manager and he sees him every day in training and games and obviously has the opinion that he's not for him which is his prerogative.
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:39 pm

" " was very surprised though to hear that we were looking for players so described " They had to focus on players that had some affinity or tie to the local area" . That really seems strange- any player can be persuadable, some of our players I believe already live many miles from Gloucestershire. "

Must admit this was a bizarre statement to make.

Considering the most amount of time is spent at the Chippenham training ground. Chippenham has excellent transport links M4 and railway station. No more than 40 minutes from Bristol and probably just over an hour from West London by car. The M4 corridor including Reading, Swindon, Newbury provides numerous players that could interest FGR.
Players have always been willing to travel. I remember players from Yorkshire and Lancashire coming here to play when we were a part time team in the Conference.
Maybe the club needs to sell the positives of living and working in this part of the country.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm

whilst to a greater or lesser extent you get it at most clubs, does the well publicised 'naughty step' and the fact that quite a few players get banished to it at fgr (i would suggest more than at most clubs 0 not help in the recruitment process either.

(not there last night-but in hindsight -don't i wish either i or others asked the question re:KMB -

' so what is different now to last season with KMB ?
He has not been given a chance this season-yet Mr Cooper-you extended his contract in the summer-so what is different now to July-has he become less workmanlike in the last 3 months ?
but how can that be Mr Cooper if he has not played anyway ?

please Mr C-swallow some pride for your own sake-many will respect you more for it-and it may just prove you right all along,or KMB will come good-which will help the team -and probably save your own job Mr Cooper-so you will win either way ..
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Well, it's not going to happen, and whether we believe it or not, it looks like the next time we see KMB, it will may well be in a different shirt.

I wish him well, as I really rate him.

MC must have his reasons, and whether you believe what he says (I don't) or not, that's the way it's going to be.

Let's just hope he builds a successful team out of the players he does want to play.

Starting tonight,
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Martin Toms wrote:
camel wrote:The KMB thing will run and run until one of the following;

A) KMB leaves
B) MC leaves
C) MC swallows some pride and brings him back in to the fold.

He has qualities no other player seems to have in our squad at the moment so it's to our detriment that this situation exists.

I think MCs handling of it in public has been distasteful personally. He seems to ignore the contribution he made last season and that MC made the same allegations last season before KMB came back in and played a pivotal role in our promotion.

I hope for our sake there is reconciliation, but I don't hold much hope.

MC can't really win there when you say about his handling of the situation in public. He gets asked a question by a reporter, probably based on fans asking these questions and he answers the question. If he doesn't answer the question he gets hammered for not being open about the situation. He hasn't publicly gone out of his way to speak about the KMB situation, he has answered questions on it that's all. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what our opinion of KMB is he is the manager and he sees him every day in training and games and obviously has the opinion that he's not for him which is his prerogative.

More referring to other interviews and comments than last night. But we move on and hopefully forward.

Agree with other comments about the local affinity thing. Sounds good in principle but not if it's at a cost in terms of quality.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't think there was anything unexpected about the line of questioning around players like KMB and Robert last night - clearly both have had flashes of brilliance and KMB in particular scored critical goals that got us promoted last year - but neither, did I think, was there much unexpected or new from what MC said. He clearly values the work ethic and team togetherness very highly and was pretty transparent - welcomely so - about how KMB doesn't fit in that right now. MC didn't rule out a comeback (he wasn't asked either).

On the local affinity thing I didn't get the impression that we were limiting ourselves to players with such a local affinity but that as negotiations continued and competition for the best players from other clubs in or near big conurbations kicked in, so players tended to chose options other than us. We got Doidge and Lee Collins (I think it was) partly because they had family connections in Newport. Others we were pursuing went to larger towns (with presumably more going on socially). There is lots about the club to 'sell' including the 'another way, the beauty of the local area and the proximity to what I would have thought was enough fun for most young people with a car. But it isn't always a choice for the club - players have a big say too.

On the Collins/Russell thing, MC was clear that there is no agreement with Chelsea that Collins must play games when fit. Playing Collins as first choice in the League has been MCs choice. He talked about the need for height and presence on crosses and that Collins had that. He said that Russell was better with the ball at his feet.

There was one other interesting bit I can remember about how in training there is focus on eliminating individual errors but also a recognition that overly focusing on that could make the players too nervous and so tend to make exactly those errors. There was some discussion about the psychological side of the game. MC talked about how he had got a military amputee in to talk about team spirit in adversity before the Playoff final and how he has to understand the buttons to push on each player. He didn't fully answer the questions about hw he stays sane in all this but it was an interesting section.

As ever, MC was very straightforward and open. Good on him. I ended the evening liking him a lot more and felt a bit more optimistic.

I may be paraphrasing inaccurately so I encourage you to watch the video of the session when it comes out.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for reporting back. Look forward to the video. :)
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team