Quiz the bosses this Thursday

All about our First Team

Re: Quiz the bosses this Thursday

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 pm

How did it go? Any one ask my questions?
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:59 am

Phil_mitchell wrote:How did it go? Any one ask my questions?

I regret that I and a few others neglected to print off your questions and hand them to Bob.
Sorry
Some of those you asked about were answered but not all. You'll have to watch the video [when it is released] for a full appraisal of evening.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 am

It was an informative and welcome session and very well ordered and mannered apart from the spat about Bradley Collins. On that, all MC had to say was that although Collins is a registered Chelsea player, he is committed to our cause while he is with us but the complaint leveled at MC was spurious given that MC had just been using the language of the previous questioner and had not meant to cast any aspersions on Collins.

In terms of your questions PM, some were asked indirectly or in part but, sorry, not as you expressed them:

1. Why have the likes of Robert, murphy and KMB been frozen out?

The question was put rather more carefully than that. For Robert MC said that last year 'just hadn't worked out for him' having come to us with a big reputation and a lot of senior experience. MC didn't say it but maybe he will come good post-loan. On KMB MC was more forthright and explained that a bit of skill a shot and a dribble is not enough to keep down a place in the team. MC had previously explained that what he was looking for in his players was character (hard working, dedicated to the cause, coping with set backs), football ability and athleticism. When taking about KMB, he added graft and hard work throughout the game.

2. In hindsight would you have approached the transfer window in a different way.

MC said that recruitment was difficult. They had to focus on players that had some affinity or tie to the local area. He was finding it hard to get players who had the required 'character' because it was hard to test that until they were on board. He remembered his playing days when there were no doubts about this among the then players like Coupe and Perrin. Now footballers are a bit different although he singled out Doidge, Noble and Bennett as those who led by example on the pitch.

The loss of Ethan Pinnock was unplanned but a good deal for all parties given he was over 24 and out of contract end of this season. Tilt turned down an opportunity he had to stay with us.

3. Why did you name a youth player with zero experience on the bench against Lincoln when there was players that arguably are better than him available.

Jordan Stevens is an example of the Academy starting to produce promising players who can bridge the gap to the first team. Apparently a few Premiership teams are asking to be kept up to date on his progress. It seems he is highly thought of.

4. Would you say that we are in a relegation dog fight.

Dale and MC both said that they had expected better. There was a lot of stuff about eliminating the individual errors but clearly there is a lot of disappointment with how things have gone. There was, of course, a hope/expectation that things will improve and we will stay up although we didn't really discuss this much.

It was a very good evening - what I have covered above (others - please correct me where I have gone wrong) is only a part of what was said. There was a video of the Q&A.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 am

Many thanks Tommo..really wanted to be there and for Chris ..but work transpired against ..isn't there something else happening tonight?

Drum ..Check...wooden rattle..Check..new retro car horn (aka vintage hooter) only used once v Lincoln) Check.. lucky badge ..check!
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks tommo.

there's that 'hope' word again (does not fill me with confidence )

not there-but did follow latter stages on twitter feed.
as not there-difficult to get the mood music; and easy to read out of context , but the twitter feed did have a line about how MC is confident the young players will come good (did not give timescale )

again-and i am not a negative person-i just try and be realistic and see past the present to maybe 2/3 games down the line-but again-inothing really said or read fills me with confidence about how this is going to pan out over the next few months.

i really think this is a massive struggle ;and sort of hoping for MC to conjure rabbits out of a hat .

i was/remain-always happy with national league status-but having come so far-just seems tragic to see it all evaporate so quickly

desperately need some quality loan signings if season is to be saved imo-i assume no hint of that mentioned

i was -and am-happy with the national league-but having made it this far-just seems tragic to see it all evaporate away.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Martin Toms » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:35 am

michael wrote:Thanks tommo.

there's that 'hope' word again (does not fill me with confidence )

not there-but did follow latter stages on twitter feed.
as not there-difficult to get the mood music; and easy to read out of context , but the twitter feed did have a line about how MC is confident the young players will come good (did not give timescale )

again-and i am not a negative person-i just try and be realistic and see past the present to maybe 2/3 games down the line-but again-inothing really said or read fills me with confidence about how this is going to pan out over the next few months.

i really think this is a massive struggle ;and sort of hoping for MC to conjure rabbits out of a hat .

i was/remain-always happy with national league status-but having come so far-just seems tragic to see it all evaporate so quickly

desperately need some quality loan signings if season is to be saved imo-i assume no hint of that mentioned

i was -and am-happy with the national league-but having made it this far-just seems tragic to see it all evaporate away.

So you were happy to be in the National League not the football league?

"Season to be saved"?....its September with only 8 league games played, not March with us cut adrift from the safety line!
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby dursleydog » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:36 am

Marsh-Brown didn't take too kindly on twitter to the comments about him made by Cooper. I suppose no-one would like an attack on their character like that, even if it is true in some respects.
He first tweeted a Bob Marley quote "You can fool some people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time." before stating "Always work hard for the team and do my best when selected I’m fit and hungry to play"

My impression is that KMB is working harder than Cooper thinks, but still not as hard as Cooper would like. It's hard, because noone wins out of this. FGR and Cooper lose a talented player who can help get results and KMB loses his opportunity to impress bigger clubs.

Hopefully Cooper will give KMB a chance and Keanu will realise he has to work his socks off to stay there, but frankly I don't think we'll see him in an FGR shirt again
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Lawn Rangers » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:38 am

Ethan Pinnock has yet to feature for Barnsley (i think). It would be brilliant if we could loan him back in January.
The Lawn Rangers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 am

I found MC's comment about KMB to be insulting and uncalled for. Without his goals last year there is no way we would have been promoted. Regardless of anyone's view on his work rate he was a major player in a promotion winning team and to say what he did was insulting at best. MC says to clap and cheer players that got us promoted, KMB is just that!
Of his goals last year we wouldn't have won five games and not had a draw in two. I can't believe how restrained and professional he's been over all of this.
Keanu if you are reading this get yourself a loan move now to a National league club as whatever happens MC's ego won't let you back in this team and I truly believe he would rather be relegated than proven wrong.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi
Bob Marley was a plagiarist.
That was an Abraham Lincoln quote.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:28 pm

FGR123 wrote:I found MC's comment about KMB to be insulting and uncalled for. Without his goals last year there is no way we would have been promoted. Regardless of anyone's view on his work rate he was a major player in a promotion winning team and to say what he did was insulting at best. MC says to clap and cheer players that got us promoted, KMB is just that!
Of his goals last year we wouldn't have won five games and not had a draw in two. I can't believe how restrained and professional he's been over all of this.
Keanu if you are reading this get yourself a loan move now to a National league club as whatever happens MC's ego won't let you back in this team and I truly believe he would rather be relegated than proven wrong.

I agree with the points here about KMB's value last year. You hit the nail on the head of how he got us lots of points with his crucial goals. Now we seem to be more content to grind out the goals. However, at PV I was encouraged by Gomes's speed and trickery and if he can harness that for 90 minutes we won't miss KMB as much as we have so far.

MC mentioned that Ethan was injured for the Carabao cup game earlier this year. He has played as a sub in the League for a half and started another of Barnsley's league games.

No, Michael, no mention of loans although there was a cryptic comment about having some height in midfield tonight. I presumed that meant Bugeil or Monthe.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

FGR123 wrote:I found MC's comment about KMB to be insulting and uncalled for. Without his goals last year there is no way we would have been promoted. Regardless of anyone's view on his work rate he was a major player in a promotion winning team and to say what he did was insulting at best. MC says to clap and cheer players that got us promoted, KMB is just that!

Does sound disrespectful and it doesn't leave much hope for a reconciliation. Hopefully he can get out and move on because this will be killing his career
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm

It said on twitter that it was confirmed that there are no penalties from Chelsea if Collins doesn't play.

It's funny that people ask for reasons as to why KMB isn't playing, and then take offence when they hear the answer. What were they expecting to hear? MC has consistently said the same thing before and this certainly isn't the first time a manager has said this sort of thing about KMB.

If MC doesn't feel that KMB has the right attitude/commitment for whatever reason then that's his decision, he needs to be able to pick the team he wants. He can't pick based on who the fans favourites are. The team spirit seems good so doubt the players feel this is an injustice, and the team always has to come before individuals.

Results in the long term will decide if MC is right or not. Keanu needs to prove him wrong and work hard to change his mind, or go out on loan and do well.

I personally don't care who wears the shirt, as long as they work hard for the club I'm happy to get behind them.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 pm

So you were happy to be in the National League not the football league?

thank you for asking Mr Toms.

the answer is -yes-very happy .
i have 30 years affinity with the national league/conference,and whilst favouring the new mistress, i retain a lot of fondness for my previous wife

that given-as i also posted-having come this far-its a shame for it to lose it.

i hope those who can see something i can't in the current situation and that its all going to get better because its early days (one fifth of season gone ) are correct.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm

I have no vendetta against Mr Cooper-and want him to do well, but i similarly question whether his comments re:KMB shoed remarkable disrespect.

I don't quite get the hardworking line-KMB always worked hard imo.

(to be fair-he may do sod all in training which we don't see,so MC could be right,but i suspect not .

Fine line between giving honest answer /opinion and disrespect.

maybe MC was slightly the wrong side of the line.

Difficult for him-as we seek his opinion/view ,but even so-as probably 18 years KMB senior and his line manager-maybe he could have been a bit more diplomatic .

tragedy that there seems no turning back.

KMB won't be given the chance to prove his worth,and equally-MC does not want to take the chance that he could be proved wrong if KMB plays .

I wonder what the other players think-whether they agree with MC or not.

that maybe is the true answer to who is most right
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm

The KMB thing will run and run until one of the following;

A) KMB leaves
B) MC leaves
C) MC swallows some pride and brings him back in to the fold.

He has qualities no other player seems to have in our squad at the moment so it's to our detriment that this situation exists.

I think MCs handling of it in public has been distasteful personally. He seems to ignore the contribution he made last season and that MC made the same allegations last season before KMB came back in and played a pivotal role in our promotion.

I hope for our sake there is reconciliation, but I don't hold much hope.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:20 pm

As long as MC is the manager of FGR KMB will never play for us again. What confuses me is why hasn't MC sold him or at least loaned him out to a NL club?
KMB would get into and make a positive impact into any NL team with hopes for promotion. He is a proven goal scorer at that level. KMB will know he has no chance with MC as manager and there must be teams in that league who would snap him up.
Why hasn't he gone? Well KMB won't be happy rotting as he is and must want a move. There will be clubs who can afford him and a manager who needs a few goals and that extra push need look no further than KMB.
The only thing I can think of is that MC won't release him. KMB showed last season when he came back in that MC was wrong and KMB made a massive contribution to us getting promoted. If KMB went to a NL club, started scoring goals and FGR continued to struggle there would be more criticism of MC and his handling of KMB.
Is MC's protection of his ego the one stumbling block in all of this and he would rather have KMB rotting than being proved he is wrong?
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:24 pm

I am surprised we extended KMB's contract in the summer tbh. Would have been best for everyone if he left then. It's becoming an unnecessary distraction.

Hopefully if he goes out on loan and impresses, he can either prove his worth to MC or someone might be prepared to take him off our hands in January. Either way that seems the best solution short term, no good for him to be sitting around doing nothing.

At the end of the day, no manager will refuse to pick what he feels is the best possible team to get results. It's a results based business and you would be cutting your nose to spite your face and ultimately lose your job if you do anything else. Fans don't see what goes on in training/behind the scenes so it's hard to make a fair judgement.

MC clearly has what he feels are good reasons for not selecting KMB, Murphy, Robert etc and feels the team has a better chance of achieving results without them. How we do over the season will decide if he's right or not.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm

FGR123 wrote:As long as MC is the manager of FGR KMB will never play for us again. What confuses me is why hasn't MC sold him or at least loaned him out to a NL club?
KMB would get into and make a positive impact into any NL team with hopes for promotion. He is a proven goal scorer at that level. KMB will know he has no chance with MC as manager and there must be teams in that league who would snap him up.
Why hasn't he gone? Well KMB won't be happy rotting as he is and must want a move. There will be clubs who can afford him and a manager who needs a few goals and that extra push need look no further than KMB.
The only thing I can think of is that MC won't release him. KMB showed last season when he came back in that MC was wrong and KMB made a massive contribution to us getting promoted. If KMB went to a NL club, started scoring goals and FGR continued to struggle there would be more criticism of MC and his handling of KMB.
Is MC's protection of his ego the one stumbling block in all of this and he would rather have KMB rotting than being proved he is wrong?

Do you know that KMB hasn't refused to leave the club and is quite happy to sit out his contract and receive his wages, you're putting all the onus with MC. What about clubs not wanting KMB in their squad. I agree he has scored some great goals, but when I've been to watch a match I've also seen him disappear for long periods, just my opinion.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 pm

This KMB issue is distracting the thread- perhaps they can go onto the KMB thread- Im really unhappy about it too. LM do you really believe a player of talent whos experienced a first team squad place with Fulham in Europe would want to hang around for a smallish paycheck ? lol.

I was very surprised though to hear that we were looking for players so described " They had to focus on players that had some affinity or tie to the local area" . That really seems strange- any player can be persuadable, some of our players I believe already live many miles from Gloucestershire.

Given the number of egg ball players round the area that surely hugely limits our recruitment away from all cities bar I imagine Bristol and then excludes all of the North Midlands and London.

Ive heard some odd things but that is one of the oddest. Get the best players wherever. I realise that our French collection didnt pass the fashion parade and ended up on the hanger, but that shouldnt put our recruitment off. why oh why concentrate on the affinity and tie- just get the best players available at the right price :evil: :evil:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team