Match thread from The New Lawn (Swindon Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Swindon Town)

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Any idea where the next two wins will come from? Nope, me neither.

I'm not sure where the NEXT win will come from, let alone two :shock:

Last night I was amazed how many people just don't this. I'm staggered that DV and MC both allowed this to happen. Then again, second seasons and MC don't tend to end well, as his record shows.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Recap: Coops points to Exeter revival.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... ine_games/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:35 pm

I thought the first half we looked like a team who could compete at this level. However Swindon still created the better chances and despite our possession we lacked clear cut chances. Swindon were not that good but held their shape and worked well as a unit.
The second half was a disaster. How can a team fall apart after a half-time talk by the manager?
I feel something is wrong with this team and I’ve more or less given up hope things will improve. No one can deny improvements are needed but can anyone explain how the manger will do this or why he is the right man for the job?
Doidge is completely isolated. He wins a considerable amount of headers with no one running off him. So what does the management do with Doidge in training? It’s a tragic waste of a talented footballer and I’m sure he would shine with alternative coaching.
Charlie Cooper is given a guaranteed start which puzzles many but he is obviously highly rated by his dad who picks the team. Why won’t the manager drop Cooper and start Bugiel just to see what happens? It can’t be any worse.
Basically we seem to consist of a number of random players kicking the ball around a football pitch, gifting goals to the opposition.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bronco » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Port Vale currently winning and we are rooted to the bottom of the table

And in our next three games we play ninth, third and second. Looking bleak
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby dangers » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:15 pm

What amazed me last night (watched on TV so saw replays immediately - looking after the wife) was the so called Zonal marking for corners. First half corner comes over from the East stand & our 2 back markers - just outside the back posts - suddenly run to the centre of the goal leaving a Swindon forward free - his shot is deflected by another player for a corner.
This happened again with 5 minutes left down the other end - the 2 players running towards the centre of goal where we had plenty of cover leaving the goal scorer to just chest it into the net.
This is elementary zonal positioning gone completely wrong.
Also the mid field do not create chances for the forwards and there should be 2 up front as many have stated as Doidge is completely out of the game.
Some midfield balls were played to the wingers but then no one gets forward to support Doidge for the next phase so we lose possession or recycle.
I hope something happens soon or we are doomed & I am normally so positive.
dangers
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Positives from last night, we looked pretty good in the first half, defence looked far more assured and Dale Bennett played like a man possessed. We moved the ball around nicely and with purpose, although sadly this didn't lead to many clear goal-scoring opportunities. Drissa might have had a point to prove against his former employers and definitely went about making it, a real livewire in the middle of the pitch, they resorted to fouling him regularly in an attempt to stop his efforts. Crowd definitely got behind the players, plenty of noise from around two and a half thousand souls, about as good as we have ever been. That is about all I can think of at the moment.

To lose was cruel, we certainly deserved a share of the points, but sadly football is often like that.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:10 pm

I thought that we were doing well up to the 86th minute - it was seen through cider-filled glasses by then, but fell to two sucker-punches.One thing was apparent was the fact that we clearly need A.N.Other up front to assist with goal attempts. Surely Omar is wasted in a subs role in midfield. I was talking to one of his team-mates at Worthing FC this week, and he said he will always score goals when playing - but why is he not starting?. What we need is an experienced and prolific scorer who knows how to do the business in League 2.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Reading a lot of these posts it seems like we need 13 players so we can create more chances from midfield, have someone up front to support Doidge, have width to get crosses in and protect the back four.

Unfortunately MC can only field 11. It's. Question of choices. I'm expecting Osbourne to strengthen midfield on Tuesday but that will only be at the expense of Coopers workrate. Bugeil may start but that means sacrificing Gomes, Randall or Noble. Not easy choices.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:36 pm

We played with a cup final mentality, but ran out of steam towards the end. Until the last 20 minutes we were well in it, but we need to maintain performance for the whole 95 minutes.

Even though we seem to have acclimatised to life in this league over the last three games, we’re still 10-15% short of where we need to be. First half we were great, by the time the fatigue set in we looked exposed particularly in midfield, our forwards we’re similarly unable to make any impression in the last 20 minutes.

To stay up we need to win games regularly, that still looks a near impossibility. I’d say being resigned to a relegation scrap is a tad optimistic, are we sure we’ll be within proximity to other clubs immediately above us. I do hope so.

The only thing I can say in defence of MC is he may have had his hands tied to the extent that he couldn’t recruit as he wanted.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Referring to the 'positives taken'', after results thus far, the bottom line is, we are on the bottom line!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm

We are bottom of the table tonight !!!. You cannot argue with that. The only way is up. God help us now !!!.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:01 pm

I think the feeling in the club will equal last season when we get out of this. 5th from bottom at the end of the season will be a magnificent achievement
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I hope so.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Just watched it back. It doesn't make any better viewing on TV than it did from the South Stand. We got the results we deserved.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Hard at the top. Mark Cooper was the second coming after Penock in 90 per cent of the supporters eyes. He was generally 1st choice on the wish list at that time. :roll:

very true-but can anyone (including Mr Vince ) have anticipated that his recruitment over the summer would be both poor-and more importantly-completely inappropriate for the type of player needed in this league ,and then the same mistakes are made after 3/4 games in august when more weak loan signings are made in it seems a panic,and bluntly-not improved things.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:05 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Any idea where the next two wins will come from? Nope, me neither.

I don't normally see things like-no false optimism but i normally see an opprtunity to get a few points.

Unfortunately- for the first time ever-i feel that FGR are so far off the pace-that i cannot see where a single point is going to come from.
Its not a relegation dogfight-every week-FGR will be cast further and further adrift.

By 1 January-i expect FGR to be cemented in 24th place-a minimum of 12 points adrift of the team in 23rd.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 pm

michael wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

I don't normally see things like-no false optimism but i normally see an opprtunity to get a few points.

Unfortunately- for the first time ever-i feel that FGR are so far off the pace-that i cannot see where a single point is going to come from.
Its not a relegation dogfight-every week-FGR will be cast further and further adrift.

By 1 January-i expect FGR to be cemented in 24th place-a minimum of 12 points adrift of the team in 23rd.

I'm sure Cooper will point to the Exeter revival last year after every game to November. The problem is I think Michael's predicted outcome is the more likely. The question is do you think DV will let that happen? I don't.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Philpot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 pm

We used to live in shoe box in middle u road
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Been there. Done that, Michael.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Didn't realise how bad the goals were until I saw the highlights.

Brad Collins had a mare and should have saved both. Very very basic stuff. If Russell dosent play now then we need a new manager. There is something seriously wrong..
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team