Match thread from The New Lawn (Swindon Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Swindon Town)

Postby King George » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Guy Madjo
King George
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:06 pm

King George wrote:Guy Madjo

Won't be signing for us anytime soon!
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby herbie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Just how many chances did we create.... especially the second half... naff all, who was MOM and the the boy stayed on all game !!?
herbie
Youth
Youth

Postby Theoperator » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 am

camel wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:It reminded me of the Mcgregor/Mayweather fight.

Where, as we watched Mcgregor throw loads of punches looking like he was actually doing something , but in the meantime, Mayweather was just tucking up and moving out of the way, as he let Mcgregor tire and punch himself out. Then all he had to do was land a killer blow at the end and there it was.

Fantastic analogy.

Well not that good though as Mayweather is a professional boxer and McGregor isnt. Ah wait :oops: :oops:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Philpot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 am

lovejoy2 wrote:Didn't realise how bad the goals were until I saw the highlights.

Brad Collins had a mare and should have saved both. Very very basic stuff. If Russell dosent play now then we need a new manager. There is something seriously wrong..

The first goal I worry about the most , the second was most likely due to concentration and nerve being hurt by how the first went in cos as a keeper you know you have to deal with corners at head height three yards out between the sticks. Brad Collins is potentially as good as most his age and in training he propably looks as good as any keeper outside the premiership but he needs to go back to Chelsea and out on loan to fulfill his potential and most importantly regain his confidence
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:18 am

is'nt that why he is at FGR in the first place ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:38 am

michael wrote:is'nt that why he is at FGR in the first place ?

I agree but he needs to regain his confidence and if he can do that he can fulfill his potential at a mutch higher level . He has all the attributes to become a top flight keeper . But not with his confidence shot to pieces
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stroud green » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 am

Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

He can't go back and if he did that would really help his confidence. Right!!

Loan players very rarely come up trumps. Invariably they are signed to plug gaps for a short period. Usually cover for injuries.
Long loans are always a gamble.
My years of experience tell me they often come with baggage and may not feel inclusive for a number of reasons.

At the end of the day any football club is like a self employed tradesman. He has a tool box. If his work is sub standard it could be for a variety of causes. Using the tools badly or not having the right tools or not using them in the right way could be the answer or the tradesman is not really good at his job.

The club does have a fight on its hands because there is no way the tools in the box can be changed at this time. That should have been evident when selecting the tools before you start work. If by the time the tools can be shuffled around the damage is not repairable then that is unfortunate for the tradesman and the person they are working for.
If you are lucky and other tradesmen are in the same situation you might survive in business.

Ultimately though everyone needs to work together to overcome the potential loss of reputation and getting the job done. All the sniping by whomever will not help at this stage.

And brining in a spare pot of glue may not succeed in filling the hole in the wall.

No club promoted from the Confrrence/National has ever been relegated back after one season and it's a misconception by anyone who thinks it cannot happen.

The club needs to be one if it is not to set another record. And by one I mean EVERYONE.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:59 am

Just so long as it isn't horse glue Colin.

I'm just about over Friday night now. I didn't see the Exeter and Lincoln games but of the rest of the league games Friday night was our best performance so far this season.

The 2 goals at the end were gutting and a point would have been well deserved.

So on to Tuesday night at Cambridge and take the tempo and work rate from Friday with us.

As an aside it was interesting to read that Everton's match was turned yesterday by the 2 players RK tried to discard in the summer. He then turned to them as subs yesterday, and they turned the game round. As I said on Friday I very much hope to see Keanu back in an FGR shirt. maybe not Tuesday though.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

It is a conundrum how can you be in the play off final and almost score with a sublime lob to not good being enough this season? Not saying KMB is the entire answer but he is to restate Footieman a tool in the box.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby King George » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Kentstripe wrote:

Do you remember seeing him play Kenstripe? Remember him being very good in his original loan spell for us but went very cold when Owers (I think?) signed him on a permanent deal till the end of that season. I believe he is currently on the run from the police? Was convicted of something dodgy last year, ah yes here it is... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-35321599
King George
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:31 pm

King George wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:

Do you remember seeing him play Kenstripe? Remember him being very good in his original loan spell for us but went very cold when Owers (I think?) signed him on a permanent deal till the end of that season. I believe he is currently on the run from the police? Was convicted of something dodgy last year, ah yes here it is... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-35321599

Yep, we signed him on loan from Bristol City, made his debut away to Aldershot, scored a cracking early goal, then got sent off for an incident involving perennial cheat Tim Sills. Did very well whilst on loan, quick, powerful and direct. usually played up top with Julian Alsop and gave us a real boost.

Remember GRASS funds helped towards us signing him permanently around January time I think. After that his form tailed off, and he fell out with Meech. Left at the end of that season. Shame because he looked a quality player initially.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:05 pm

FootieMan wrote: ...not having the right tools or not using them in the right way ...

Yeah,It's the chainsaw that is missing from the toolbox! F/M!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Looks like we already have a few tools in our team already!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby onlineracingclub » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Getting to watch this game in the US instead of listening to Bob gave me much more of idea of what is going on. The biggest thing that I took away from the match was the Zonal marking on corners. I hate zonal marking, makes no sense. Man to man and mark someone. I know this is not a huge team, but I saw a bunch of men looking like 4yo's staring at the ball and moving towards it leaving the back half of the net wide open. The other team hits a corner to the back post and its wide open. Lead to the first goal and it should have been other very early in the game when the young keeper had to make a big save. The young keeper made a few very good saves to keep it at 0-0, but I still believe Sam Russell needs to be in there. Give me some experience to try and get some stability. The young keeper looks like he is shell shocked. Let him take a few games off and see what happens, let him play in cup games, maybe some behind closed door friendlies (if any are coming) and then maybe if he has some success, get him back in the rotation, but for right now it needs to be the experience of Sam IMO.
RECOGNIZE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO, THEN DO IT. THAT IS THE ESSENCE OF HIGH PERFORMANCE
onlineracingclub
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Zonal marking is good for MC's attacking style but often breaks down in set pieces. Nothing stopping him using a system of both.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi
If the 2 players at the back post hadn't rushed towards the near post (out of their zone) then that near miss wouldn't have happened.

Also I'd rather see a goalie at the rear post until they know the ball isn't going to go past it, they can then get a run at a shorter one or cover the long one.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:02 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
If the 2 players at the back post hadn't rushed towards the near post (out of their zone) then that near miss wouldn't have happened.

Also I'd rather see a goalie at the rear post until they know the ball isn't going to go past it, they can then get a run at a shorter one or cover the long one.

That works with a full back on the near post
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team