Arrogance

All about our First Team

Re: Arrogance

Postby FootieMan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:43 am

Michael,

Stuff the question.

What's the answer?

The difference between then and now is, in the years gone by we were a club who knew its identity and we were not a big player in the game. We had a small fan base so we could easily deal with issues which arose. Okay we struggled at times but it brought about a collective togetherness. We were a tight knit group.

Now the club is much bigger. It has future plans and with it comes expectations, which when not met or failing to make the progress it has promised, the fan base becomes restless. Not because there are more issues than before but when you have a larger following the dissent stands out more. People will happily seek to exaggerate a particular issue to make a discussion point. TalkSport Radio is a prime example of the modern day analogy of what I am saying.

Communication is the key in any business. And that is a two way thing. I am always amazed why fans come onto the forum seeking an answers about something which might be simply answered by actually contacting the club direct.
On the other side the club fail on occasions to spread messages in a format which could be more helpful and lessen the conflict which seems to be arising around The New Lawn.

Hence my opener.

Stuff the question.

What's the answer?
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 am

I agree Michael that MCs job is to get points not to be a 'nice man'. But it would cost nothing to turn to the East Stand at the end of the game to applaud whatever support we have been able to muster and to do the same to the south end as he walks off.

He strikes me as understanding the core of his job and being someone so honest and tough that he only does what he feels and that is why he doesn't applaud us very much but I think he would help himself disproportionately by a small gesture like applauding us even if, secretly, he doesn't really mean it.
Last edited by Tommo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 am

Simplistically, (I think) there's two aspects to football management.

The football side, where clever tactics and understanding of the game, what your players are capable as a team, and of the opposition matter to gain an upper hand.
The management side, which is about managing people and getting the best out of people.

Given that most football mangers are 'Accidental Managers', this latter aspect is a perennial weakness in football - managing strong characters. They manage them by sidelining them and getting rid of them.

The managers try to appear strong and decisive, when they are probably not. They want their 'own' players that they say play 'their system' but it's often more about control: they want players that don't need people managing.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:Simplistically, (I think) there's two aspects to football management.

The football side, where clever tactics and understanding of the game, what your players are capable as a team, and of the opposition matter to gain an upper hand.
The management side, which is about managing people and getting the best out of people.

Given that most football mangers are 'Accidental Managers', this latter aspect is a perennial weakness in football - managing strong characters. They manage them by sidelining them and getting rid of them.

The managers try to appear strong and decisive, when they are probably not. They want their 'own' players that they say play 'their system' but it's often more about control: they want players that don't need people managing.

Completely agree. We have seen that at FGR all too often in recent seasons. the club has potentially lost a lot of money on player sales and certainly hasn't had its best team available far too often. Theres loads of creative players that need emphasis on man management, many who fall by the wayside.

I suspect we are not the worst at this by some way. I just cant understand why management seems all about machoism when getting the ball in the net frequently requires more vision and creativity than matcho tactics. Appreciate that is more required of defenders in the macho department. Its certainly a combination thats needed. I really think we have this badly wrong at FGR currently.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Hence my opener.

Stuff the question.

What's the answer?
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

footieman posted as above :

If you read or listen to Alan Pease-he would advocate that :

questions are the answers .

some may say a load of mumbo jumbo -and i for one prefer the 'do the do' as opposed to 'talk the talk' but i do give some credence to this

by asking the right questions-the answers are more forthcoming-

I always believe that 'there is always a way' no matter what

there is even a way out of this fine mess that Mr C has got FGR into .

finding that way-is a tad more difficult-but lurking in there somewhere-there is a way out of this just got to find it -and in this instance-find it fast
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

michael wrote:unfortunately-he messed up so badly over the summer-,that i don't really know what he can do to resolve the failings.

This is by far the biggest problem IMHO.

Whether MC couldn't persuade enough quality players to come here, or didn't have enough money made available to him, or whatever the reason - I won't purport to know.

What I do know, however, is that if you picked our best XI today, it would not be any better than our best XI at the end of last season; in fact, with Pinnock, Woolery, Ellis and KMB not now featuring for a variety of reasons, I would argue it would be slightly worse.

And let's not forget we only finished third in the Conference last year and now we are in League 2.

Hence, the fact that we are struggling should not come as a surprise, should it...? :?
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
And let's not forget we only finished third in the Conference last year and now we are in League 2.

Hence, the fact that we are struggling should not come as a surprise, should it...? :?

No it doesn't, and that for me is the reality of the situation.

FootieMan wrote:Stuff the question.

What's the answer?

Put all the drama to one side and get behind the team and manager, regardless of our own particular view about whether they are up to the job or deserving of a place, and support them in the best way that we know...in the time they are on the pitch, unreserved support and vocal backing. That way things are far more likely to be turned round, results improve and people might start to enjoy success and forget the question that was being asked in the first place.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Foggy wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

What's the answer?

Put all the drama to one side and get behind the team and manager, regardless of our own particular view about whether they are up to the job or deserving of a place, and support them in the best way that we know...in the time they are on the pitch, unreserved support and vocal backing. That way things are far more likely to be turned round, results improve and people might start to enjoy success and forget the question that was being asked in the first place.

Totally agree, It has never been louder in the east stand, not that i can remember. Every player gets a cheered on, and all players are supported individually and as a team. We clap, cheer and chant in block H but we do it well! i am pretty sure I heard some singing from up the top against swindon!

I started this thread because I felt that we started this season with arrogance and unhealthy high expectations. I am sorry if the questions wound folk up. I am much more grounded now i know that its not just me being confused, It seems like everyone agrees that we are out of our league at the moment. I am going to clap twice as loud against Stanley and am excited to listen to the Cambridge game! Well done to everyone travelling. COYR
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
Foggy wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

What's the answer?

Totally agree, It has never been louder in the east stand, not that i can remember. Every player gets a cheered on, and all players are supported individually and as a team. We clap, cheer and chant in block H but we do it well! i am pretty sure I heard some singing from up the top against swindon!

I started this thread because I felt that we started this season with arrogance and unhealthy high expectations. I am sorry if the questions wound folk up. I am much more grounded now i know that its not just me being confused, It seems like everyone agrees that we are out of our league at the moment. I am going to clap twice as loud against Stanley and am excited to listen to the Cambridge game! Well done to everyone travelling. COYR

Yes! All well said!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team