Stewards at it again!

All about our First Team

Stewards at it again!

Postby doggy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 am

The portly young fan, who to be fair, managed to climb the fence!, admittedly should not have done so, but, the desperate over zealous stewards were at it again. I watched the scene unfold as a couple of Swindon fans tried to access the field, one steward tried to pull one back and failed, so in what I assume was his frustration attacked the portly lad with a reign of punches and head butts! Totally uncalled for in my opinion, some will say anyone entering the field of play deserve this but this was pure violence, I saw the police outside talking to the portly fan when I hope they review the footage in hindsight and have a serious word with the steward involved, it’s not the first time!! And who’s idea was it to place a “senior lady” in front of the away fans? Who just stood by and watched when it kicked off!! This club is becoming a somewhat liability , whoever’s in charge.. get a grip!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Stewards at it again!

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm

If the steward did that he needs to be dismissed and charged with assault. It isn't Cheltenham Yates's on a Saturday night where the doormen think they have the right to smash people down steps and break their orbital sockets.

In fairness to the majority of stewards at our place, they're alright.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Did anyone film it? Sounds a bit ott. Needs to be looked at if true.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Don't we have all the cctv in place now. Shouldn't be hard to spot.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Sack him and involve the police - it is behaviour that we can do without !!.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Didn't see headbutting but I didn't watch the whole escapade as I went back to the action on the field. But I did see the start of it. He was after one invader who got pulled back in to the crowd. He then turned and saw a couple of stewards holding on to another fan and went full-on into him and was definitely unnecessarily heavy handed. As a club we get a bad reputation and when things like that happen you can see why.

I think we had some home fans kicked out as well and season tickets confiscated.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Philpot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:39 pm

tommyd wrote:Don't we have all the cctv in place now. Shouldn't be hard to spot.

Yes we do. Sean Ryan
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 pm

As we're on the subject of stewards:

When I was there a couple of weeks ago I mentioned to someone about being able to stand in the East. I was told that isn't acceptable EVER!
I can understand if there are people behind you but surely at the back of the block where all you have behind you is a brick wall it's OK, I was told it still isn't allowed!
I was in the South Stand, back row and made the mistake of standing on the steps, the wrong side of the coloured line (can't remember what colour it was) and told to move.

Why?

I was in the back row so not likely to be blocking any escape routes. Second half, same stewards suddenly became oblivious and I moved back over the line to where I was in the first place, so did others further forward and nothing was said.

I've been to PL football grounds where the stewards are nowhere near as strict so was quite surprised. If there's no health and safety risk involved, maybe they should just chill out a little bit more.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Charlie5football » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 am

Prior to the game I noticed a fair amount of stewards turn up in cars apparently Swindon supplied there own stewards for the West Terrace to supervise their own fairs so not 100 % sure it was are own stewards involved . I for one have been critical of the stewards in the past but to be honest recently I have found them ok.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby StadiumMgr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 pm

doggy wrote:The portly young fan, who to be fair, managed to climb the fence!, admittedly should not have done so, but, the desperate over zealous stewards were at it again. I watched the scene unfold as a couple of Swindon fans tried to access the field, one steward tried to pull one back and failed, so in what I assume was his frustration attacked the portly lad with a reign of punches and head butts! Totally uncalled for in my opinion, some will say anyone entering the field of play deserve this but this was pure violence, I saw the police outside talking to the portly fan when I hope they review the footage in hindsight and have a serious word with the steward involved, it’s not the first time!! And who’s idea was it to place a “senior lady” in front of the away fans? Who just stood by and watched when it kicked off!! This club is becoming a somewhat liability , whoever’s in charge.. get a grip!!

I have looked at the footage of this incident and I can't see any a point where a steward "lob punches or headbutts".

We will review the footage in more detail with our CEO and Safety Officer, later this afternoon.

camel wrote: I think we had some home fans kicked out as well and season tickets confiscated.

This is correct; the footage is being reviewed this afternoon and I expect that this will be investigated in full, given the nature of the incident/s.

NewForestRover wrote:As we're on the subject of stewards:

When I was there a couple of weeks ago I mentioned to someone about being able to stand in the East. I was told that isn't acceptable EVER!
I can understand if there are people behind you but surely at the back of the block where all you have behind you is a brick wall it's OK, I was told it still isn't allowed!
I was in the South Stand, back row and made the mistake of standing on the steps, the wrong side of the coloured line (can't remember what colour it was) and told to move.

Why?

I was in the back row so not likely to be blocking any escape routes. Second half, same stewards suddenly became oblivious and I moved back over the line to where I was in the first place, so did others further forward and nothing was said.

I've been to PL football grounds where the stewards are nowhere near as strict so was quite surprised. If there's no health and safety risk involved, maybe they should just chill out a little bit more.
[/quote]

The answer to the standing lies in the EFL rules, namely that persistent standing is not accepted, even in the situation where you are at the back of the block.

In terms of the yellow lines, they are access routes (entry/exit and emergency) and thus we need to keep them clear. The EESI stand is a little unusual as there is only one exit from each 'block', which makes keeping the walkway clear both important and at the same time, hard to do so.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers
StadiumMgr
Youth
Youth

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

If the club bans any of the younger fans they need to get a grip
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Re Standing, I really hope that the club continue with the standing areas as they currently exist when the new stadium is built. Will badly affect the atmosphere if all have to be seated.

Appreciate its the law, but it is way overdue to revisit "safe standing" at grounds. Most away fans are able to stand all game, makes away games far more fun unless like FGR there is terracing for home support.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr4life » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 pm

honestly I think the way our stewards treat home fans should be reviewed.
the atmosphere generated from the south stand was brilliant Friday night and it seems as if people get punished for this.
personally I couldn't care less how away fans are treated which others may not agree with with me but that's fine.
there are a few good friendly stewards that always talk always say hello have a laugh. but there are a lot that clearly have never been a steward at football match before and are just out to get a good name. I'm not saying for one second that stewarding isn't important and shouldn't be taken seriously but home fans should be treated a lot better.
fgr4life
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:41 pm

out of interest what specificallydo you expect the stewards to do for you which make you feel treated a lot better ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr4life » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 pm

let people have a bit of fun and enjoy the game, there's not a lot to cheer about at the moment so when people do make an effort and try being the 12th man let them.

if people enter the field of play or really over step the mark then fine they deserve to be dealt with but to kick people out for nothing is silly, I've been supporting FGR since the age of 14 and have been stood in the freezing cold watching us and knowing we will lose and personally I think the atmosphere is the best its been in years but it seems every time we get to the point where its enjoyable your shot down.

its a football match not a game on tennis!!
fgr4life
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Fantastic post FGR4life.

Yes obviously for violence or something ban people.

You are right the atmosphere is now brilliant in my opinion, and far better than supposedly larger local clubs like Cheltenham, although they would never admit it!

I think the club should be spending more time on looking into Cooper's performance this year, or lack of, some would say that was verging on criminal!! :cry:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

What?

What?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 am

If at half time-the stewards could fetch me a coffee and a quorn pie-and perhaps just clean my sunglasses-thats the sort of exceptional service/customer care that would be most appreciated on my behalf.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team