Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:25 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote: There seems to be an assumption from many on here that changing the manager will change results. I'm not convinced that follows. Certainly, if you are right and the players are already at their maximum level, then it won't really matter if we get a new manager.

My contention is that Noble, Doidge (recently) and probably Cooper are not playing as well as they did last season. Noble wasn't always consistent last season but when he played well the whole team seemed to; this season he hasn't for some reason. I think that if these players (plus Laird who seemed good very early in the season) get their form back then survival is well possible.

Of course, maybe it will take a new manager for them to get their mojos back. I happen not to be in that school of thought yet although there may come a time when a change has to be tried. MC still has the team working hard and I sense a spirit of togetherness despite everything. Until that evaporates I support MC, despite his weaknesses as a diplomat with fans, to maximise the potential of the team he has.

I expect I will once again be vilified by LGIII and Jaceyboy in their patronising way, but I haven't given up yet and feel I am entitled to my view. Fortunately we all, I think, want the same thing. But results haven't been what anyone here would have liked and hopefully we can all express our views of how we might escape from the mess we are in without being belittled.

So, you don't think changing the manager will work? Yet you say changing the manager may work. Which is it? :lol:

No-one, not even you knows.

My view is that MC should stay and try to sort it out and that bringing in a new manager won't help at this point. There may come a time when changing the manager becomes the only option. I've highlighted the sentence above that.

I think we all hope that results turn around - in another thread I say that may be partially down to luck and here I say I think some of the senior players need to regain their form - and that replacing MC is not necessary in the foreseeable future (despite his blind spots).

Clear?

I agree with 20 Years and Counting
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Tommo wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote: There seems to be an assumption from many on here that changing the manager will change results. I'm not convinced that follows. Certainly, if you are right and the players are already at their maximum level, then it won't really matter if we get a new manager.

My contention is that Noble, Doidge (recently) and probably Cooper are not playing as well as they did last season. Noble wasn't always consistent last season but when he played well the whole team seemed to; this season he hasn't for some reason. I think that if these players (plus Laird who seemed good very early in the season) get their form back then survival is well possible.

Of course, maybe it will take a new manager for them to get their mojos back. I happen not to be in that school of thought yet although there may come a time when a change has to be tried. MC still has the team working hard and I sense a spirit of togetherness despite everything. Until that evaporates I support MC, despite his weaknesses as a diplomat with fans, to maximise the potential of the team he has.

I expect I will once again be vilified by LGIII and Jaceyboy in their patronising way, but I haven't given up yet and feel I am entitled to my view. Fortunately we all, I think, want the same thing. But results haven't been what anyone here would have liked and hopefully we can all express our views of how we might escape from the mess we are in without being belittled.

So, you don't think changing the manager will work? Yet you say changing the manager may work. Which is it? :lol:

No-one, not even you knows.

My view is that MC should stay and try to sort it out and that bringing in a new manager won't help at this point. There may come a time when changing the manager becomes the only option. I've highlighted the sentence above that.

I think we all hope that results turn around - in another thread I say that may be partially down to luck and here I say I think some of the senior players need to regain their form - and that replacing MC is not necessary in the foreseeable future (despite his blind spots).

Clear?

I agree with 20 Years and Counting

Exactly the same you said about DH.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Is there a link anywhere so we can see the goals
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:56 pm

whilst i similarly can't see much point in changing the manager between now and mid november (gives time for a new manager to assess and see if he/she can do anything in january window ). and i am not normally far behind Tommo in saying that managers should be give at least 2/3 years,but in this instance after the catastrophic summer dealings , I also look at this and think:

if you employed a sales manager who brought in 12 bits of stock , were all slow to sale with associated extra funding costs ,and not a single one of them made a profit -would you dismiss that person immediately ?
Do you let that sales manager just 'get away with it '

can we really believe that this is all going to come good ?

If it was cars in a showroom not selling, will working harder polishing them a bit more, and moving the same cars to different positions on the showroom floor ,make the stock sell suddenly ?

to be fair-it may with 2 or 3 .

can those 2/3 cover the losses on the other cars ?

There is ' always a way '-just in this instance its very very difficult to find that way
(see Kentstripe-even i can succumb to the hope word occasionally ! )
Last edited by michael on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Exactly the same you said about DH.

Yes until the final sequence of poor results when he had to go. I was probably the same with Jim Harvey though his departure was rather different. I was less upset about Pennock; I never thought he was up to it and thought his style of football was rubbish.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team