Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

Postby Main Stander » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am

Next 2 games are massive for him, if he gets that long, although we are the ones who continuously shoot ourselves in the foot, we have been saying this for a quarter of the season. Time will soon start to run out. We cannot just keep going on saying "its our own fault" and "silly mistakes" etc, we need a manager who refuses to accept these and will tell afew home truths to peoples faces, not behind their backs and just dumping them in the reserves
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Jaceyboy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 am

Tommo wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:I agree with Kenstripe. :o

On the long way home, (reflection-time) the biggest issue seemed to be the players mind-set. As we saw against Swindon, Barnet and in patches of last night, we looked like we could do some damage. I think that the decision making by the team was abysmal. No-one seemed to want to step up to move the ball forward. They appeared scared and resorted to kicking the ball about as though just possession is a good thing. Until they gave the ball away of course.

Cambridge made stupid mistakes, but we didn't capitalise on them the way that they did ours. Cambridge were weak at the back and not particularly good at the front. They were more decisive and far quicker at dealing with things. As our crowd sang "you're not that good, we lose every week"

When we did get into their box, fear seemed to creep in again and too much hesitation blew any chance that we had.

Personally I don't think that MC should go, certainly not yet anyway. What does need doing is to turn what we have into a better functioning team. One that makes decisions and takes them. Whether MC can do that, time should tell. Having said that, the constant repeating of "we shouldn't be making mistakes" is getting tiresome. It does land at his door and he needs to do something.

I still think that we have the squad, but maybe not the right team.

I wasn't there last night but from this distance, this makes sense to me.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The winner of the most non-sensical post goes to...

Tommo!

Please step forward and take your award! Please make your speech now.
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jaceyboy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:24 am

voodoobluesman wrote:Personally I don't think that MC should go, certainly not yet anyway. What does need doing is to turn what we have into a better functioning team. One that makes decisions and takes them. Whether MC can do that, time should tell. Having said that, the constant repeating of "we shouldn't be making mistakes" is getting tiresome. It does land at his door and he needs to do something.

I still think that we have the squad, but maybe not the right team.

I just can’t agree with this.

He has had enough time - total knowledge of the current squad, a summer of transfer activity and 10 games - and the result is:

10% win ratio
2.5 goals conceded per game

Our forwards have to score 3 each game for us to take home anything and we show no where near enough quality to get that.

This shows now sign of letting up (other than the first 5 mins of each half).

There’s only one way the tide can turn now, and it isn’t time...
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm

One observation from this result, the 'keeper slot argument now appears to be. Irrelevant. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Jaceyboy wrote:The winner of the most non-sensical post goes to...

Tommo!

We all know things are cr*p at the moment, doesn't need you being condescending all the time Jaceyboy. People with a different opinion aren't necessarily dumber then you. Seems you are only happy/come on here when things go badly, so you can act all smug and clever when we lose.

People have every right to criticise the manager if they want, but personally I've supported the team under some terrible managers in the past, and never once thought that it would benefit anyone to abuse them or demand sackings. Results dictate a managers future, and I have no interest in stirring things up, making life harder for them and acting like we should be entitled to always win games. If MC doesn't get good enough results, he'll lose his job. Until then I take no pleasure out of watching us lose, and am fully behind him and the team in the hope they'll improve, or if they don't then when and after MC gets the sack. I'll support the team through the rough and the smooth, like a proper fan.

Unlike some on here I take no pleasure in losing just so I can say told you so.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Best post i have read on here all week Kemtstripe.My sentiments exactly.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
Jaceyboy wrote:The winner of the most non-sensical post goes to...

Tommo!

We all know things are cr*p at the moment, doesn't need you being condescending all the time Jaceyboy. People with a different opinion aren't necessarily dumber then you. Seems you are only happy/come on here when things go badly, so you can act all smug and clever when we lose.

People have every right to criticise the manager if they want, but personally I've supported the team under some terrible managers in the past, and never once thought that it would benefit anyone to abuse them or demand sackings. Results dictate a managers future, and I have no interest in stirring things up, making life harder for them and acting like we should be entitled to always win games. If MC doesn't get good enough results, he'll lose his job. Until then I take no pleasure out of watching us lose, and am fully behind him and the team in the hope they'll improve, or if they don't then when and after MC gets the sack. I'll support the team through the rough and the smooth, like a proper fan.

Unlike some on here I take no pleasure in losing just so I can say told you so.

Nonsense. Nobody takes pleasure in losing. The difference between you and me is that I saw our current predicament coming a mile off. So, yes, told you so. Saying that gives me no pleasure, so cut the patronising assumptions.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:33 pm

king giraffe III wrote:The difference between you and me is that I saw our current predicament coming a mile off. So, yes, told you so. Saying that gives me no pleasure, so cut the patronising assumptions.

Swings and roundabouts. Last season you wrote us off, I always maintained we had a good chance. I saw it from a mile off, if you will.

The difference between you and me is I didn't rub everyone's nose in it, and keep bigging myself up. My main delight was at the clubs success, not being proved right.

I only ever want the club to make my positive predictions right, not resort to doom mongering to look clever.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Kent stripe, didn't you call for Hockaday to be sacked many a time??
King George
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 20yrs and counting » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Must admit, I didn’t see us struggling, thought we would hold our own and finish lower mid table around 16th. Like MC I have no idea of our best 11, then again I don’t train with them every day. Likewise no idea of our best formation. After these amount of games this should be apparent. Really have no idea who will play Sat, think every permutation has been employed.

Only ray of light I see is Osbourne in centre mid, have to build team around him and Traore. Nobes has to return and would like to look at the potential of Simpson and Stevens. Cannot understand why such experienced defenders at this level are making such basic errors.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm

King George wrote:Kent stripe, didn't you call for Hockaday to be sacked many a time??

It's true I didn't rate Hockaday. But I never got on his back, booed the team or hoped they would lose to prove me right.

I also never had digs at people supporting him. I was always hoping he would prove me wrong.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Seat C32 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Cannot understand why such experienced defenders at this level are making such basic errors

Perhaps that is why they were released from their previous clubs!!
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Ethan warming the bench and not even on the bench last night.

LOAN!!!!
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:The difference between you and me is that I saw our current predicament coming a mile off. So, yes, told you so. Saying that gives me no pleasure, so cut the patronising assumptions.

Swings and roundabouts. Last season you wrote us off, I always maintained we had a good chance. I saw it from a mile off, if you will.

The difference between you and me is I didn't rub everyone's nose in it, and keep bigging myself up. My main delight was at the clubs success, not being proved right.

I only ever want the club to make my positive predictions right, not resort to doom mongering to look clever.

I still maintain we underachievement last season in terms of points.

Big myself up, look clever... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It isn't about me. It's about the manager doing a wee poor job at the moment and shaking my head as his wet nurse looks tearfully on and gets upset when anyone calls Thor's superhuman abilities into discussion.
Last edited by king giraffe III on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
King George wrote:Kent stripe, didn't you call for Hockaday to be sacked many a time??

It's true I didn't rate Hockaday. But I never got on his back, booed the team or hoped they would lose to prove me right.

I also never had digs at people supporting him. I was always hoping he would prove me wrong.

Who has hoped we would lose yesterday? Not me.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 pm

richmond wrote:Ethan warming the bench and not even on the bench last night.

LOAN!!!!

Not sure we can sign loan players only unregistered players under EFL rules?
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes, he did. Apparently that's not getting on Hockaday's back though. If it was, it would reveal Kentstripe to be a hypocrite and that wouldn't do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:45 pm

twoguns wrote:
richmond wrote:Ethan warming the bench and not even on the bench last night.

LOAN!!!!

Not sure we can sign loan players only unregistered players under EFL rules?

That's right. But haven't we got enough loan signings already?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Ah rules v desperation!!!
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 pm

king giraffe III wrote:

Yes, he did. Apparently that's not getting on Hockaday's back though. If it was, it would reveal Kentstripe to be a hypocrite and that wouldn't do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't remember publicly calling for his head. In fact looking back despite not rating him I always tried to encourage people to support the team. Which is no different to now.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23361
Last edited by Kentstripe on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team