Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Abbey Stadium (Cambridge United)

Postby Billy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Cooper post match.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05hd6vp

Sorry for the delay.
Billy
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Blame blame blame blame!!!
It's everyone's fault but Coopers listening to that!!

Says he has chairmanship full support, looks like we will have to put up with this pain for a good while longer!!!!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Blame blame blame blame!!!
It's everyone's fault but Coopers listening to that!!

Says he has chairmanship full support, looks like we will have to put up with this pain for a good while longer!!!!!

Then again, at the same time he did say he didn't know how many more opportunities he would have to put things right. It's all just ambiguous talk.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm

I understand that he is frustrated that the most senior and respected players in the team have gone off form and they do need to look at themselves as (from this interview and the Q&A forum the other night) Laird has done and look to come back. Doidge seems to have been the latest to drop from his previously high standard. We need him, Noble, Bennett, Roberts, Collins, Russell, Laird to be on peak form over the next few games if we are to get anything from these tough fixtures. We have to hope too that Osbourne is made of sterner and higher quality stuff than we have had in midfield.

But MC also needs to look at what he can do better. He is responsible for picking the team and creating the right relationships over the pitch and he doesn't know his best team yet and hasn't built those relationships because he has been constantly tinkering. In the end he, not the players will carry the can if we go back down and that is right. It is him who needs to make the team more than the sum of the parts as he did last year.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
King George wrote:Kent stripe, didn't you call for Hockaday to be sacked many a time??

Yes, he did. Apparently that's not getting on Hockaday's back though. If it was, it would reveal Kentstripe to be a hypocrite and that wouldn't do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't remember publicly calling for his head. In fact looking back despite not rating him I always tried to encourage people to support the team. Which is no different to now.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23361

That's true Kentsripe. I was the longest serving advocate of Hockaday (and had to accept the jibes that went with that - deserved by the end....) and I recall discussing Hockaday a fair amount with Kentstripe. He had doubts even when we were starting to do better under him but I don't believe called for his head.

Kentstripe can speak for himself, but I don't think either of us feel that changing managers as soon as we hit a bad patch is the answer in the medium/long term - for one thing its just too expensive since you not only have to pay off the manager but also change the squad (because new managers always want to do that) and although there may be a short term regalvanisation of the team, every manager has strengths and weaknesses, good runs and bad. We should continue to try to support the whole club - DV, MC, team - as much as possible and help the club turn things around. Its hard work at the moment but as GET CARTER says elsewhere we need to be resilient.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Time for some basic sports psychology Cooper.

If you focus on talking about mistakes and therefore spend your time thinking about mistakes, you will make more mistakes. You create fear which isn't conducive to positive performance. This isn't a new problem. Here is one example from many last season....

https://audioboom.com/posts/5434285-fgr ... een-rovers

Essentially we should win as a team and lose as a team. No one person or point to blame.

Leaders eat last. The strongest leaders protect their team. Cooper needs to do the same. As in the interview above where he basically says everyone has had a chance etc he needs to stop the blame game. Cooper is to preoccupied with protecting himself over his players. The KMB situation as an example where Cooper has now made a rod for his own back. If he had spoken more positively or been more open to reconciliation he would have an extra L2 level player to select

Essentially the man who says he can and the man who says he can't are both probably right. Cooper seems to talk like we can't most of the time.

Don't get me started on the footballing side.

I nearly crashed when I heard we were making 5 changes. You need the CBs to know what the GK is going to do, that doesn't happen if you change him every other game. Is this the keeper that comes for corners or not? Etc Keep the same back four as much as possible. I can't believe Iacovitti who got torn apart against Swindon at RB played LB. Poor lad is a CB and I doubt it's the loan experience he was after.

We need to link midfield to Doidge. For ages we have always seemed to get hardly anyone in the box or near Doidge and his hard work is undone (this goes back to last season too). Time to recall KMB who is L2 quality and play him inbetween midfield and Doidge. He has enough about him that he can win second ball from Doidge, he can go wide and cross but more importantly as he can score from anywhere he will draw defenders out and make room for Doidge so that he can take the ball on the ground more.

If Osbourne can get match fit and reach the levels Walsall fans say he can then he will be good. Sit him in with Traore for now and boss the midfield. The wingers? I'd go for a mixture of pace and industry. Probably Randall on the right in front of Bennett who is defensively solid and on the left someone stronger defensively whilst Laird finds the form to match his reputation.

But whoever the team is make them believe.

If they have been training as hard and focussing on defending as much as we are led to believe maybe it's reached a point we overthink it (see earlier points) and that explains the delays in thought and action so often seen on the pitch. Spend the week doing something differently, I don't care, but we are making the same mistakes as last season and it will hurt us. If we don't find a degree of belief and solidity before those so called easier games that will soon come, we will find ourselves well adrift.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Tommo wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
King George wrote:Kent stripe, didn't you call for Hockaday to be sacked many a time??

Yes, he did. Apparently that's not getting on Hockaday's back though. If it was, it would reveal Kentstripe to be a hypocrite and that wouldn't do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't remember publicly calling for his head. In fact looking back despite not rating him I always tried to encourage people to support the team. Which is no different to now.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23361

That's true Kentsripe. I was the longest serving advocate of Hockaday (and had to accept the jibes that went with that - deserved by the end....) and I recall discussing Hockaday a fair amount with Kentstripe. He had doubts even when we were starting to do better under him but I don't believe called for his head.

Kentstripe can speak for himself, but I don't think either of us feel that changing managers as soon as we hit a bad patch is the answer in the medium/long term - for one thing its just too expensive since you not only have to pay off the manager but also change the squad (because new managers always want to do that) and although there may be a short term regalvanisation of the team, every manager has strengths and weaknesses, good runs and bad. We should continue to try to support the whole club - DV, MC, team - as much as possible and help the club turn things around. Its hard work at the moment but as GET CARTER says elsewhere we need to be resilient.

So you advocate maintaining this same playing squad and use that as a reason why the manager shouldn't be changed? :lol: Look at the results, for goodness sake!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Billy wrote:Cooper post match.

Sorry for the delay.

Well done Billy. I think you asked some good questions there. Well worth the wait.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby The Running Rover » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Billy wrote:Cooper post match.

Sorry for the delay.

Slightly concerning he seems to be criticising Doidge and saying he shouldn't be hiding behind anything. Doidge is possibly our best player and biggest asset, so criticising him publicly is going to achieve what exactly??? He should be putting his arm round him and encouraging him, not blaming him for the teams poor performance.

Like others have said, MC seems to continually blame the players, but at the end of the day, they're his players and it's his job to get the best out of them. If they're not playing well, I'm afraid the buck stops with MC. It's his squad, his team and his tactics. If they're not good enough, the blame ultimately lies with him.

I hope he can turn it round, I really do, but I'm starting to think it's getting beyond him now. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jaceyboy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Kentstripe wrote:
Jaceyboy wrote:The winner of the most non-sensical post goes to...

Tommo!

Please step forward and take your award! Please make your speech now.

We all know things are cr*p at the moment, doesn't need you being condescending all the time Jaceyboy. People with a different opinion aren't necessarily dumber then you. Seems you are only happy/come on here when things go badly, so you can act all smug and clever when we lose.

People have every right to criticise the manager if they want, but personally I've supported the team under some terrible managers in the past, and never once thought that it would benefit anyone to abuse them or demand sackings. Results dictate a managers future, and I have no interest in stirring things up, making life harder for them and acting like we should be entitled to always win games. If MC doesn't get good enough results, he'll lose his job. Until then I take no pleasure out of watching us lose, and am fully behind him and the team in the hope they'll improve, or if they don't then when and after MC gets the sack. I'll support the team through the rough and the smooth, like a proper fan.

Unlike some on here I take no pleasure in losing just so I can say told you so.

Literally no point in this post.

As a supporter that turned up as a relatively young boy at the St Albans semi final, I also take no pleasure in us losing. I too, have stood there as Dagenham and Redbridge thrash us, I’ve stood at Cambridge and seen us lose 7-0, I’ve watched as the floodlights fade, balls jumped over the old Lawn netting and into peoples back garden and matches be postponed...

The difference is K/S, I want action and change as a matter of urgency to the betterment of this club, not acceptance of mediocrity, not the thought process of ‘next week it’ll somehow get better’. Things don’t miraculously change in any walk of life, and if we want that for FGR we must force the issue.

“Change is the law of life and those who only look to the past and present are certain to miss the future” - JFK
"Jaceyboy has become a prophet in his own land now - he was absolutely right" - The Farmcotian
Jaceyboy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Jaceyboy wrote:The difference is K/S, I want action and change as a matter of urgency to the betterment of this club, not acceptance of mediocrity, not the thought process of ‘next week it’ll somehow get better’. Things don’t miraculously change in any walk of life, and if we want that for FGR we must force the issue.

I suppose it depends on whether you believe MC is a good manager overall or not. I personally think he is which is why he deserves a chance to turn things around imo. Most managers have dodgy spells where things go wrong and they come under fire, but there are plenty of examples where, with a bit of patience, they have been able to turn it round, and come out stronger for it.

Last season after a dodgy spell we came good, some wanted to pull the trigger but ultimately sticking with MC brought us promotion.

Showing patience isn't necessarily accepting mediocrity, it's accepting that sometimes it takes time to build success.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Its opinions.

I respect you think he is a good manager, you should respect that I do not think he is a good manager at all.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Its opinions.

I respect you think he is a good manager, you should respect that I do not think he is a good manager at all.

Fair enough. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion.

I would imagine you would be more then happy to be proved wrong though?

It's a results business and that will ultimately dictate what happens management-wise.

In the mean time I hope everyone keeps trying to get behind the team, they are working hard and need our support more then ever.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Oh believe me I really hope he Rams my words down my throat!!! ;)

I want FGR to do well so badly just like yourself.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:I want FGR to do well so badly just like yourself.

Something everyone agrees on.

I think generally speaking the support has been pretty good this season. The South Stand was in full voice on Friday.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Tommo posts earlier :

[i']I understand that he is frustrated that the most senior and respected players in the team have gone off form and they do need to look at themselves '
[/i]

If you are correct Tommo -that would give me hope.

My gut feel is though-that they have not simply gone off form.

I think they are already playing to the top of their standard-unfortunately-that standard is way off what is needed .
I can't see them improving .

there is a reason why the seasoned pro's were released by their clubs, and in the younger players instances-championship academy football is way off EFL2 standard-so is it any wonder FGR are struggling.

why the heck did an experienced manager like Cooper sign this type of player.?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 am

michael wrote:Tommo posts earlier :

[i']I understand that he is frustrated that the most senior and respected players in the team have gone off form and they do need to look at themselves '
[/i]

I think they are already playing to the top of their standard-unfortunately-that standard is way off what is needed .

there is a reason why the seasoned pro's were released by their clubs, and in the younger players instances-championship academy football is way off EFL2 standard-so is it any wonder FGR are struggling.

why the heck did an experienced manager like Cooper sign this type of player.?

You know the answer, Michael... Because they were the only ones prepared to drive that huge distance from J13 of the M5 up Frocester Hill and down Tinkley Lane. This is why we need to relocate to the M5.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 am

[/i]

There seems to be an assumption from many on here that changing the manager will change results. I'm not convinced that follows. Certainly, if you are right and the players are already at their maximum level, then it won't really matter if we get a new manager.

My contention is that Noble, Doidge (recently) and probably Cooper are not playing as well as they did last season. Noble wasn't always consistent last season but when he played well the whole team seemed to; this season he hasn't for some reason. I think that if these players (plus Laird who seemed good very early in the season) get their form back then survival is well possible.

Of course, maybe it will take a new manager for them to get their mojos back. I happen not to be in that school of thought yet although there may come a time when a change has to be tried. MC still has the team working hard and I sense a spirit of togetherness despite everything. Until that evaporates I support MC, despite his weaknesses as a diplomat with fans, to maximise the potential of the team he has.

I expect I will once again be vilified by LGIII and Jaceyboy in their patronising way, but I haven't given up yet and feel I am entitled to my view. Fortunately we all, I think, want the same thing. But results haven't been what anyone here would have liked and hopefully we can all express our views of how we might escape from the mess we are in without being belittled.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

Think the players are playing around 80% of their potential at the moment, just believe LG2 really good this yr and leap from nat league bigger than expected. Where MC expected to consolidate mid table, this has now changed to battle for survival.

One thing for certain Jan is going to be massive. Still expect MC to be here then, to re-address his summer recruitment. Likewise I do not know our best 11 or best formation, rarely play 2 the same in a row. Plus point players do seem to be fully committed, but a few more losses heads could go down.

All we can do is continue to support, least on Sat we will be louder than away following. Looking forward to Traore and Osborne controlling midfield, fingers crossed.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Tommo wrote:

[/i]

There seems to be an assumption from many on here that changing the manager will change results. I'm not convinced that follows. Certainly, if you are right and the players are already at their maximum level, then it won't really matter if we get a new manager.

My contention is that Noble, Doidge (recently) and probably Cooper are not playing as well as they did last season. Noble wasn't always consistent last season but when he played well the whole team seemed to; this season he hasn't for some reason. I think that if these players (plus Laird who seemed good very early in the season) get their form back then survival is well possible.

Of course, maybe it will take a new manager for them to get their mojos back. I happen not to be in that school of thought yet although there may come a time when a change has to be tried. MC still has the team working hard and I sense a spirit of togetherness despite everything. Until that evaporates I support MC, despite his weaknesses as a diplomat with fans, to maximise the potential of the team he has.

I expect I will once again be vilified by LGIII and Jaceyboy in their patronising way, but I haven't given up yet and feel I am entitled to my view. Fortunately we all, I think, want the same thing. But results haven't been what anyone here would have liked and hopefully we can all express our views of how we might escape from the mess we are in without being belittled.

So, you don't think changing the manager will work? Yet you say changing the manager may work. Which is it? :lol:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team