The roots of our problems

All about our First Team

The roots of our problems

Postby doggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Despite retiring a few days ago! I have to say that after plenty of thoughts I feel the roots of our problems came before Cooper although the present situation is centrally in his court, but I feel it’s Dale Vinces’ appointments behind the scenes also having a major effect on the club. He has bought in many people who have business skills and no doubt Ecotricity CV’s but totally NO football knowledge, that’s why we have no affiliation between fans and club, when the likes of CP were here we had the experience of a football minded brain on board and whilst not everybody’s cup of tea Colin knew his football. Also too much effort has gone into going green thus the eye has been distracted from the football and despite DV’s efforts to use us as an advertising tool for his beliefs, to mismanage the team will lead to him with organic egg on his face!! We need to restructure the footballing side of FGR including the management before we finally disappear into oblivion!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Re: The roots of our problems

Postby dursleydog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 pm

The roots of our problems are the fact Cooper signed a bunch of terrible centre backs and isn't great at coaching a defence even with good defenders

Its amazing how EVERYTHING becomes terrible once the results go south.

If it wasn't for Dale the best case scenario for the club would be lower mid table in the conference, the worst case is the club may have gone under
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Exactly Dursley Dog.

I fail to see how thi is Dale's fault!

Cooper is solely to blame for this season's shambles!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Cotswold farmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:08 am

The clubs communication with its supporters isn't good and the clubs PR is frankly atrocious as someone said it me it's take it or leave it or my way or the highway.
I agree that the playing side is down to the current manager but doggy has a valid point concerning the rest of his comment.
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby fgr4life » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 am

Dale just needs guidance a proper football board who don't just see green fields and blue sky's.

How can nobody at the top see the club going down as it stands. Cooper is a broken man got no plan I just waiting for the nice pay off and I feel like people at the top have forgot about the football. That nice new stadium will look awful in the national league.
fgr4life
Youth
Youth

Postby fgr2016 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:51 am

Totally disagree with this. I think DV has made some very good decisions for the health of the football club - he's thinking of the future and sustainably.

Football is an unpredictable game - you have 30odd teams trying to to achieve the same goal, you'll never always get it right. Any club moving into L2 will always have a lack of experience on knowing what to do and how to respond.

Remember we literally wouldn't be hear without him. Period. Full stop. End of sentence.

Mark Cooper, on paper, was a coup for this club . Within a whisker of the championship on a midget budget and relatively solid eslewhere coming down to the NL? That was a big deal..and again the football we played last year was so entertaining. Promotion achieved? Tick.

Is cooper "out of his depth" - on paper, no. Again you would expect him to be able to handle this league based on track record. Why wouldn't you give him a longer contract? Again, on paper all these decisions make sense.

Football isn't a paper game and decisions you make might not work out sometimes. We will never be privy to the full decision making but looking at FACTS and not assumption or intuition, he has been making solid decisions for this football club and also taking it in a direction that, frankly, appeals to me as a young family man.

The question you have is this. The club's making above expected progress aren't staying loyal to their managers and giving them time to turn it around...they are being ruthless. Wolves. Southampton. Watford. I'm not a fan and I hope we don't aspire for that culture, but that might come at a cost or success might not be so quick....alternatively,we do an Exeter and trust the man in the ups and downs but that will accept that the up and downs might be quite literally ups and downs.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby The Game Within » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:59 am

Well said fgr2016 the posters on here saying it's DV fault wouldn't be on here if he hadn't come in like he did because probably no club so no forum.
The Game Within
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am

Think some are missing the point here, If you read the properly you will see I state Cooper to blame for current demise and I am fully aware that Dale saved us from extinction, i am not stupid! All I’m saying is Dale has dismissed all those around him with a football brain in order to run the club as an advertising tool and as he runs Ecotricity, football, although should be run as a business is a different beast and the game on the pitch has to be run at the most efficient effect for the rest to work, something I think, my opinion, hasn’t been done to its best! I was the first to shake Dales hand when he took over as I know he saved us from oblivion, don’t want him to do his money for the sake of not employing football minded people!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr2016 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:50 am

Like who? Who has he dismissed with this worldly football brain? The press officer doesn't count.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby Philpot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:59 am

fgr2016 wrote:Like who? Who has he dismissed with this worldly football brain? The press officer doesn't count.

Oh
Yes
He
Does
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby mauler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 am

FGR have underestimated how much league 2 has moved on since the experience of some of them in the league.

During a warm up you can see that the oppo are all fit, strong, big and premiership like in their professionalism. FGR come in all shape and sizes which means that they need to believe in themselves more to overcome this. I have not been impressed by the new comers who lack this core belief and think that KMB should be playing as he has the self belief on occasion to turn the impressions on their head.

In a "relegation dogfight" three points feels like a cup final win! Three teams on 5 points - all we got to do is finish above the other two! Trouble is that low expectations breed low performance. Surely this is the nadir though, right?
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby doggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

fgr2016 wrote:Like who? Who has he dismissed with this worldly football brain? The press officer doesn't count.

oh dear! this mentality is exactly what I'm on about, i have followed FGR since 1975 and seen some great football people here, through thick and thin, too many to name, any club that wants to succeed has to have football minded people at its core, Dale is undoubtedly a shrewd business man and nows the green energy game inside out, all I'm saying is that we need experienced football people on the board for guidance, and i don't think we have? maybe fgr2016 you could enlighten me then i will concede!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

how are these so called experienced football people going to win football matches ?

No business is perfect ,and i agree that infrastructure is the most important feature of any football club.
seems to me though that FGR have that.

ok -it may need tweaking,but i don't think the main issues lie off the pitch at the moment.

Maybe the club is not quite as advanced as others with how to operate in league two-but its probably holding its own administratively-and can slowly get better.
I'm sure it was not perfect in the first of its 19 or so years in the conference.

the trouble is-it probably does not need to improve with regards to whats required in EFL-as bluntly-this is increasingly looking like a one season wonder.

I just can't see what Mr Cooper can do to atone his mistakes.
lost for words really how so good/decent manager/good signings twelve months ago , has turned to so bad over the summer.

again-how will these supposed 'experienced football people ' accumulate more points for FGR ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Michael says how can football minded board members can’t win games ? Well that in essence is true, however I assume the board are consulted on which players come in/ go out? The manager surely cannot have a total say in this? Or am I wrong? I expect the manager to ask for the players he wants and then it has to be signed off by board? That’s when an experienced voice/ear would be an advantage, perhaps I’m living a fantasy life!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 pm

whilst for me their is little doubt that Mr Cooper messed up big time over the summer (but has recruited successfully previously ) i don't think 'management by committee in any business is a particularly good way to go.

benevolent dictatorship works for me (and seems to be what Mr Vince provides ),albeit i do agree that someone has to 'manage the manager'-but that should be Mr Vince-not some committee of football fossils .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 pm

michael wrote:how are these so called experienced football people going to win football matches ?

I agree that mistakes where made pre season. Moving on from the past and considering the position we are actually in now. Experienced football people are exactly what we need now.

a chef with cheaper ingredients , or even missing ingredients, could make a better cake than me. The reason is because they have experience and knowledge that I don't. If we return to reality and think about how complex and changeable people and teams can be compared to simple ingredients I believe this further makes the point that experienced football people can win matches and turn teams around.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm

michael wrote:whilst for me their is little doubt that Mr Cooper messed up big time over the summer (but has recruited successfully previously ) i don't think 'management by committee in any business is a particularly good way to go.

benevolent dictatorship works for me (and seems to be what Mr Vince provides ),albeit i do agree that someone has to 'manage the manager'-but that should be Mr Vince-not some committee of football fossils .

Ouch!! Fossils? Who said anything about fossils, plenty of younger footballing minded people out there, just cos I’m a fossil doesn’t mean I want fellow fossils!! Just looking for a solution to our current demise Michael, off the pitch is relevant , fans are relevant, just cos someone has all the money doesn’t always make them right if operating in a world that’s not their natural habitat, experience is a big player at all levels of football, so don’t think for one minute I want to return to the amateur days of grass roots football , I just think we need to put football first or what’s the point?
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby madasahatter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Let me tell you a story.

The game against Cambridge was ‘off the radar’ – too far and too late back.

Thanks to the fixture compiler dovetailing FGR’s and Cheltenham’s fixtures another visit to the LCI Rail stadium was in order. I’ve seen a few of their home games and unforced errors coupled with kamikaze defence had not inspired much confidence and they had languished at the foot of the table, with the trap door beckoning. In their home victory against Colchester they were ably assisted by Madron getting himself sent off when the away side seemed to be rallying from being a goal behind. Cheltenham had managed to acquire a ‘Glaswegian barroom brawler’ by the name of Brian Graham who looked totally lost, lazy and, to mirror the neighbouring consensus, utterly useless. However this was offset by one, Joe Morrell, who is on loan from Bristol City and looked ‘head and shoulders’ above anything else on the park.

Right, onto Tuesday night and the home fixture to pre-season favourites Mansfield Town. I’d already seen the visitors against FGR back in the middle of August, when we were well beaten, with only a disallowed goal for solace. This looked to be a tough game for Cheltenham and with European football on the box plus the lure of the rejuvenated ‘bake off’ to entice prospective attendees, a disappointing crowd of just under 2,500 trudged up to Whaddon Road.

There was a ‘buzz in the air’, don’t know why but it seemed to be infectious, expectancy was the order of the day. Even the officials seemed buoyed; they started the game two minutes early!! So, the referee blows his whistle and we’re off, after 30 seconds you knew that this was not going to be just another game of football. What happened over the next 90 minutes was one of the best team performances I’ve witnessed. Still plenty of mistakes, but, madcap incidents, silky skills, crowd involvement and infectious desire from both team, and especially supporters. At the end, virtually all the fans remained in the stands, or hugging the touch line, three deep, waiting for the players to do their ‘lap of honour’. Followed by the charismatic and impish Gary Johnson soaking up the recognition of a ‘job well done’ and the ragtag and bobtail outfit he had assembled had turned into a team. His customary ‘fist pump’ towards the home end, behind the goal, drawing a tumultuous roar from the fans, 2,500 there, it felt like 25,000.

So, what of Graham and Morrell? Well, they both played and both blended into the team, you couldn’t single them out or any other of the participants, it was a total team performance – no backsliders, they were all stars. How Gary Johnson has done this I do not know and it can all turn in ‘the blink of an eye’ but last night he achieved something that supporters would not have believed possible.

So how does this relate to FGR?

Well hopefully Cheltenham put on a show against Chesterfield on Saturday, but I learnt a lesson last night.

If you believe that things can change, they will. Let’s make it happen.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm

My brother-in-law, a career Royal Marine used to say " When the going gets tough.........the tough get going". From reading some comments on here from FGR fans, I would not like to be in the trenches with them, waiting for that call to go over the top , relying on your mates to defeat the common enemy as one. ( I would be more scared of being shot in the back by some of those). Get a grip, and get behind the team,come what may. Rome was not built in a day ( but Brian Clough used to answer he was not on that job ! ).
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm

:| er...

Are you on the right forum, madasahatter?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team