Helping MC to find the right formula

All about our First Team

Helping MC to find the right formula

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Has he lost the dressing room?
I really don't think so. Not yet. But next week? Let's just hope not.
I think he's losing his confidence with a team who have already lost theirs. In recent match interviews he's come across as being less arrogant and more helpless, like he really doesn't know what to do.

Sacking him might not be an option for DV right now due to contract length, so we have to survive the best we can!

So...my opinion but others will differ I'm sure.

GK: I don't know how good Sam is but so much more experienced than Bradley and we need experience right now.

Back 4: Bennett, Lacovitti, Manny, ???

Midfield : Drissa, Liam, Wishart, Gomes/Randall

Forwards: Bugiel, Doidge

And they all have to play every single week and become a team. Even those that are demoted to the bench are still part of the team and relied upon to be impact subs. It's all about working together isn't it?

And it's also about team spirit, morale and confidence which is defintely the main problem at the moment. I get the impression that our players walk onto the pitch, fearing we're going to lose before we've even started. We play as if we're nervous of making more mistakes and if we continue to do this, opposition teams will use it to their advantage.

We have to think positive from kick-off. We have to put pressure on them. We have to make them scared to play us!!!

This thread isn't for complaining about management (there are plenty of other threads for that).

It's about ideas on how we get the best out of what we have. Our fans, our team and our management all on different wavelenghts really isn't going to help.

We all have to show each other that we're on the same side. Fans have to support at all times (even on here)
Manager and team have to thank the fans for supporting, regardless of result. Huddersfield's post match ritual springs to mind (are you reading this MC?!)

And we all have to remember that however bad things are, we are so much better than Chesterfield and Port Vale and we will finish above them :)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Helping MC to find the right formula

Postby michael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm

why are FGR better than port vale and chesterfield ?

I hope you are correct.

I have not seen them play, so can't comment-but i just take reference from the league table which suggests that Port vale and chesterfield are actually doing a bit better than FGR.

unfortunately, having dealt himself the hand, whatever permutation/formula MC finds/plays; sadly, i think the players -all good players-are just not as good as those at other EFL2 clubs.

a team has been assembled for the national league-not EFL2.
I did not realise until the third/Yeovil game ,but it was evident from then,and frankly-FGR had not ought to have been allowed by yeovil to win that game-and the true picture imo, is that fgr should be on one point-not four .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 pm

michael wrote:why are FGR better than port vale and chesterfield ?

I hope you are correct.

I have not seen them play, so can't comment-but i just take reference from the league table which suggests that Port vale and chesterfield are actually doing a bit better than FGR.

unfortunately, having dealt himself the hand, whatever permutation/formula MC finds/plays; sadly, i think the players -all good players-are just not as good as those at other EFL2 clubs.

a team has been assembled for the national league-not EFL2.
I did not realise until the third/Yeovil game ,but it was evident from then,and frankly-FGR had not ought to have been allowed by yeovil to win that game-and the true picture imo, is that fgr should be on one point-not four .

Well your post certainly isn't helping to find the right formula is it?

Why are FGR better than Port Vale and Chesterfield?

Because I'm being positive and looking on the bright side. Somebody has to.
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:00 am

Well your post certainly isn't helping to find the right formula is it?

very true.frankly-most of the time-like all the other armchair managers on here you have ideas/permutations in mind .Frankly- for the first time in about 30 years-i have no idea what can be done-even from the armchair.
just not enough quality in there

great and very nice-i'm not sure it accumulates points though.
i keep on thinking positively about that lottery win-but still waiting after 14 years

Happy to join you in taking the happy pills though-as i always liked the national league-just feel its such a waste though to be going back after just one season
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am

michael wrote:

i keep on thinking positively about that lottery win-but still waiting after 14 years

Happy to join you in taking the happy pills though-as i always liked the national league-just feel its such a waste though to be going back after just one season

I've thought of another reason.
We're BETTER than them!
Believe.
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:49 am

Osbourne needs to play to bulk up the midfield. I'm hoping that he is going to make a positive impact for us. With him and Drissa protecting the back four it will release Nobes to push up and assist with his great through balls to CD.
I would have Manny and Lacovitti at the back and use Collins to come on and replace Drissa when required. Every time Manny plays though MC is on his case. It doesn't seem encouraging, just critical. The centre pairing need to play regularly together and MC seems to have gone with experience.
My understanding is Gomes has previously played in a central role. How about having him up with CD?

My team:-
Russell
Bennet, Lacovetti, Monthe, Laird
Drissa, Osbourne
Noble, Randell/Wishart
Doidge, Gomes.
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am

:roll:
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am

I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, PLEASE Mark Cooper, watch the game from the back row of the stand, you get a better perspective of the game than from the touchline.
Engineer
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 am

Taking Michael's earlier point about the team and being assembled for the national league; I'm sure many of us have wondered what position this team would be in that league right now.

I think the team being played are below the quality of last year. The replacements aren't as good as those who left and with a key player such as Noble seemingly out of form.

I don't think we'd be struggling but project promotion wouldn't be looking good.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:42 am

michael wrote:very true.frankly-most of the time-like all the other armchair managers on here you have ideas/permutations in mind .Frankly- for the first time in about 30 years-i have no idea what can be done-even from the armchair.
just not enough quality in there

i keep on thinking positively about that lottery win-but still waiting after 14 years. Happy to join you in taking the happy pills though-as i always liked the national league-just feel its such a waste though to be going back after just one season
´

So what are you actually saying we should do then? You've even said that changing managers will be pretty pointless in your opinion, so what do you want the club to do? In fact every post from you recently suggest that we have no chance whatsoever. If that is what you think, fine, but what do you gain from saying it again and again?

At least those calling for MC to go aren't just giving up, they are looking to take action which they believe might give us a chance.

Maybe we should just give up completely? Refund everyone's season tickets and tender our resignation from league 2, forfeiting every game from now till the end of the season, saving ourselves the hassle of actually playing the games?

Or alternatively we could all show some backbone and get behind the team, and help them fight for every point. If the players give up like you have we are definitely f****d, that's for sure.

The squad we have obviously isn't brimming with quality, but it isn't full of pub standard players either. Our back 4 that have played recently, Laird, Roberts, Collins and Bennett have over 900 games of EFL experience behind them. Traore, Osbourne and Noble have plenty of experience at this level and above too. Doidge will score goals if he gets chances. This is not a hopeless cause imo.

Will we have to punch above our weight at times this season to compete? Maybe, but when the going gets tough the tough get going.

One thing is for sure, if we all just admit like you keep doing that we're not good enough whatever happens, we will definitely go down. If it comes to it I'd much rather go down fighting then just roll over and give up.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am

Looking at the positives,
I don't think MC has ever been manager of a relegated club.
He is experienced at managing teams in EFL 2.
Once FGR get that one piece of good fortune, even a lucky draw, then the whole scenario changes for the better.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 am

The Old TomCat wrote:Looking at the positives,
I don't think MC has ever been manager of a relegated club.
He is experienced at managing teams in EFL 2.
Once FGR get that one piece of good fortune, even a lucky draw, then the whole scenario changes for the better.

He was in charge of Notts County when they got relegated from league one I believe, but he did take over in a dire situation and improved things, just not enough to save them.
We can't just sit there and wait for luck to come along, you make your own luck by working hard in an effective system and cutting out mistakes. We got lucky in the Swindon match! Could've easily been 4-0 if Norris could shoot.

If we went
Russell
Bennett Monthe Iovotti Laird
Osbourne Traore
Randall Noble Gomes
Doidge
And stuck with it to let them settle into their roles we might see some improvement. Trouble is we have no left winger except Wishart (Randall is hopelessly right footed). Ideally KMB would play there but oh well... Maybe James?
The trouble is there's a lot of hard work in that side but without KMB and with Noble out of form I don't see who could unlock a defence unless we play fast on the counter, which we just don't have the defensive solidity to be able to do.
Bugiel would be a great impact sub for Drissa if he needs to be restes, dropping Noble further back and playing Omar in between the lines closer to Doidge. KMB would also be great at dropping into these positions to link play and stretch defences, which we're just not doing right now.
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 am

Just hope we do well in Jan when transfer window re-opens. First thing I would do would try to get Pennock back on loan rest of the season. Also believe Manny deserves extended run in the team, even just for his height for set pieces, our Achilles heal. We also need a proven lg2 level striker. We are yet to find foil to play with Doidge, Mullings, Bugiel alongside or just behind, or brown or Nobes linking from midfield, like MC I have no clue either, though suspect Nobes may be pushed further forward with Osborne playing deep.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:00 pm

dursleydog wrote:[
He was in charge of Notts County when they got relegated from league one .

Not true:
Copy from Wikipedia:
"Cooper was appointed manager of League Two Notts County on 20 March 2016 on a short-term contract until the end of the season. He was set a points target which, if met, would bring a permanent deal.[20] He met the target, but left the club to become manager of Forest Green Rovers;"

Manager MC has never been relegated although I again refer you to Wikipedia:
"On 25 November, he made his first signing as Peterborough manager, signing Exodus Geohaghon from former club Kettering Town. On 19 December, Peterborough won their first game with Cooper in charge, a 2–1 home win against Watford. Later that month, they recovered from a 0–4 home deficit to Cardiff City to claim a 4–4 draw. Cooper was sacked just 13 games into his tenure as The Posh manager on 1 February 2010 with only 1 win in those 13 games."
or
"Following what the chairman described as "recent results ... closer to relegation form than promotion form", Cooper was dismissed as Darlington manager on 24 October 2011."

So yes mixed career results as a manager, mostly good and never relegated.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Again looking at the positives:
I've just posted the league table with results alongside.
It is interesting to note that all our defeats (apart from Colchester away) have been to teams in top half of table.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Again looking at the positives:
I've just posted the league table with results alongside.
It is interesting to note that all our defeats (apart from Colchester away) have been to teams in top half of table.

But only one to a team in the top 7..

There are much harder games to come than the ones we've played
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Bronco wrote:
There are much harder games to come than the ones we've played

And also some a lot less hard than a few we've played.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Well we've played 2nd, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 21st and 22nd. So we've probably had a pretty representative sample of this league and we've hardly been competitive in most games and sit bottom so I don't think we can take many positives from the supposed difficulty of our schedule so far
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Stewjacksam » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 pm

my team for what its worth

russell
bennett lacovitti collins wishart
troare
gomes osbourne monte randall
doidge

big guys in the centre of the park where we can head and win balls at last - both under instruction to use drissa and the width but one of both must get forward when the winger has it - drisssa is the cover
when drissa is knackered at half time replace with cooper or noble
when doidge is knackered after 60 mins replace with omar or shamir
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Russell

Bennett Iacovitti Collins Wishart

Osbourne Monthe

Troare