Re: Helping MC to find the right formula

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:40 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Russell

Bennett Iacovitti Collins Wishart

Osbourne Monthe

Troare

Gomes Doidge Marsh-Brown

Why not?

Too right! We didn't get into the league by drawing and defending. Let's bag some goals see how that feels!
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Bronco wrote:Well we've played 2nd, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 21st and 22nd. So we've probably had a pretty representative sample of this league and we've hardly been competitive in most games and sit bottom so I don't think we can take many positives from the supposed difficulty of our schedule so far

On this thread it asked for us to look for positives.
Of the five teams in bottom half of table we have only lost one game, drawn two and won the other.
That is 4 points at home against -2 away.
If those type of results continue it would just about keep us in EFL for another season.
Not great I admit.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Positive for me is that we are struggling at the start of the season, with plenty of time left to turn the whole thing around, I would be far more worried with this type of form going into the final few fixtures...that can happen sometimes and teams who were well away from trouble for most of the season sink like the proverbial stone.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby dursleydog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
dursleydog wrote:[
He was in charge of Notts County when they got relegated from league one .

Not true:
Copy from Wikipedia:
"Cooper was appointed manager of League Two Notts County on 20 March 2016 on a short-term contract until the end of the season. He was set a points target which, if met, would bring a permanent deal.[20] He met the target, but left the club to become manager of Forest Green Rovers;"

Manager MC has never been relegated although I again refer you to Wikipedia:
"On 25 November, he made his first signing as Peterborough manager, signing Exodus Geohaghon from former club Kettering Town. On 19 December, Peterborough won their first game with Cooper in charge, a 2–1 home win against Watford. Later that month, they recovered from a 0–4 home deficit to Cardiff City to claim a 4–4 draw. Cooper was sacked just 13 games into his tenure as The Posh manager on 1 February 2010 with only 1 win in those 13 games."
or
"Following what the chairman described as "recent results ... closer to relegation form than promotion form", Cooper was dismissed as Darlington manager on 24 October 2011."

So yes mixed career results as a manager, mostly good and never relegated.

I put "I believe" as a caveat on the end of that sentence for a reason, ie. I didnt go and find out :lol:

Now I have looked, yes he has never been relegated. Mainly because when it has gone downhill it's gone downhill so badly he's been sacked long before the end of the season (Peterborough, Darlington, AFC Telford, last season at Swindon)
He's had his fair share of success as well it has to be said. Kettering, early days at Swindon and first season here. But the impression I get is he's a bit of a fair weather manager. His style of football is high risk/reward and he doesn't budge from it. When things click his teams are largely brilliant, but once things slide... 1 win in 13 at Peterborough, sacked after 5 games at Telford, relegation form at Darlington and Swindon.
A good title challenging manager, but a relegation fighter he is not.

Interestingly he has his 2nd highest win percentage with Forest Green with 47%, behind only his time at Kettering. I imagine that's taking a nosedive right now however
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm

dursleydog wrote: 1 win in 13 at Peterborough, sacked after 5 games at Telford, relegation form at Darlington and Swindon.
A good title challenging manager, but a relegation fighter he is not.

Wonder if he'll do worse here than he did at Peterborough and get away with it?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Russell

Bennett Iacovitti Collins Wishart

Osbourne Monthe

Troare

Gomes Doidge Marsh-Brown

Why not?

WHY is more appropriate? Why any of it? Why? Why? Why? Because it was required.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby longandwindingroad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

.. interesting posts on Forum thanks ... I'm a long distance fan but have seen three games this season in close succession, home and away matches. I support the idea of a settled team but we need much more bite in midfield where in all three matches we have been second to every second phase ball. We are being bullied in that area and that is then putting pressure on the defence and starving supply to the front as well. We then revert to the 30 yard diagonal ball to a relatively small forward who is up against opposition defenders who resemble Chip Hazard and Nick Nitro. Bread and butter to deal with for D2 defenders. Lets get the ball on the deck and move it quicker wide, we have the players who can take defenders on but don't continue to cut in and narrow the pitch. If we get wide we can let CD attack the crosses with his pace and positioning. I'm down again to the match .v. AS and I know that one good result will kick start us.. keeping the faith ...
longandwindingroad
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Equinox » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm

I love this thread, wonderful. I am being positive now. I feel so more relaxed about things, ive put my toadstool up for sale and am going to move to where new forest lives, ah, im living the dream already . :) COYR !!
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 pm

The right formula in my opinion is not to concede goals. The defence needs strengthening badly is weak and unbalanced. FGR need a coach who can build a defence that lets nothing through.
Once FGR stop concedeing goals points will come.
Until then it's trouble and if a club gets roooted early it stays there. Is Mark Cooper that right man? Unless he tightens it up NO he will have taken Rovers as far as he can.
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Equinox » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 pm

So, let me get this right, concede less than the opposition, and we score more, means we win ? Genius, thanks Cotswold farmer, think there a might be a job for you at FGR soon.
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 pm

I suggest you listen to what Brian Clough Jimmy Sirrell , Don Revie and Jock Stein said and did.
You build from a solid defence you build a solid base!I suggest you look at any league table and study the goals for and against and then their position might I suggest you look at FGR and Chesterfield?
Then at Notts county, Accrington and say Luton?
Then Equinox work out who's top and who's bottom and why?
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Equinox » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Couldn't agree more Cotswold farmer. Its not me you need to convince, your point is very valid, its Mr Cooper you should be directing your facts at. Good on you, no hard feelings, but may I suggest to you, stop being so over sensitive , in the bigger picture we all know what is wrong, don't we MC.
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 am

scoring goals is very difficult (except when playing FGR where they make it very easy )

thus if you don't concede the nil-you minimally get a point, and only need to score once to get 3 points.

Even Mr Cooper says that ,and puts the ridiculous number of goals conceded down to mistakes -omitting to add that it is him who has assembled a team so prone to defensive mistakes,and/or does not personally-or in combination with his coaching team, the ability to coach a defence into being a solid unit. ( to be fair-probably less than 20% of managers do )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:33 am

20yrs and counting wrote:Just hope we do well in Jan when transfer window re-opens. First thing I would do would try to get Pennock back on loan rest of the season. Also believe Manny deserves extended run in the team, even just for his height for set pieces, our Achilles heal. We also need a proven lg2 level striker. We are yet to find foil to play with Doidge, Mullings, Bugiel alongside or just behind, or brown or Nobes linking from midfield, like MC I have no clue either, though suspect Nobes may be pushed further forward with Osborne playing deep.

Im not sure that Managers can be loaned can they, even if recently sacked :shock: ;)

The rest I would agree with. Its all so frustrating, just like a lot of last season he keeps tinkering and not getting a steady team playing together. Oddly when he did start playing a team with fewer changest late last season the results started going well.

Knowing we have our second highest scorer from last season in nowhere land surely cant be good for the squad :?
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am

I got a cab from Cambridge station to the ground on Tuesday night.

The radio discussion was all about the problem with the back three triangle. Goalie and two centre backs.

The problem was due to continously changing the centre back two and also the goalkeeper.

A more gifted centre back should have been recruited and then the manager should stick to the same faces to create consistency.

All the pundits agreed that the triangle at the back was the most important one on the pitch. I nodded in agreement.

The team was Liverpool.

The formula and playing style got us promoted and the majority of the squad are league 2 without doubt.

Personally I've got a lot of time for Mark Cooper. He had enough about him to take on the squad after capitulation against Lincoln, let players go and get I'm players who got us promoted. mark's formula is okay. Hopefully the right pegs in right holes will turn things round.

So overall. Pegs in holes is key rather than the formula. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Anyone who knows anything about coaching will tell you, you need a strong spine to the team, eg, goalie, strong centre-halfs, centre-mid, and centre-forward. Then you can tinker with the flair players, tacklers, distributers, etc. depending on fitness, availability,etc.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:08 pm

It's so good to read the positive posts.

I've just watched MC's pre-match interview and he's basically saying the same as we are. The players have to believe in themselves. One good result, they'll regain the confidence that will make all the difference between winning and losing.

And the comment he made about true fans getting behind the players?

He's right.

Providing they make a big effort to do their best and try, they should be supported 100%. They want to win as much as we want them to.
Very hopeful that we have the winning formula tomorrow.

:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Equinox wrote:I love this thread, wonderful. I am being positive now. I feel so more relaxed about things, ive put my toadstool up for sale and am going to move to where new forest lives, ah, im living the dream already . :) COYR !!

I love your enthusiasm!

You're very welcome to move into a toadstool next to mine,
on the yellow brick road,
in the land of hope and glory
:D
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Oh for goodness sake! One win isn't going to turn the season round.

What we need is longer term signs of improvement.

The win against Yeovil and the draw against Port Vale end up meaning nothing if a trend doesn't continue.

Anyone who believes this including MC is just fooling themselves.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Oh for goodness sake! One win isn't going to turn the season round.

What we need is longer term signs of improvement.

The win against Yeovil and the draw against Port Vale end up meaning nothing if a trend doesn't continue.

Anyone who believes this including MC is just fooling themselves.

We're lacking in confidence at the moment. One win is going to turn the season around because we'll all feel a whole lot better than if we lose again! And the players will believe they can actually win. At the moment, I don't think they do.
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team