Match thread from the New Lawn (Accrington Stanley)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from the New Lawn (Accrington Stanley)

Postby FGR123 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am

FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr4life » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 am

Kentstripe wrote:Watch Cooper off the ball, his movement is good, he always makes himself available and works damn hard. He's not the finished article but in no way does he deserve abuse.

One of our best players yesterday. Any so called fan giving him abuse deserve anything they get back. They are an embarrassment to the club.

Couldn't agree more
fgr4life
Youth
Youth

Postby Charlie5football » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am

I for one not happy with the results far from it but when your own supporters verbally abuse their own players then don't come on here winging if you get it back have the -alls to talk to them one to one face to face, easy to shout abuse when you have a few other people around you.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:14 am

king giraffe III wrote:Nothing counts except points.

Yesterday's performance does not help our league position though the solidity at the back, fluidity in play and effort from all the team deserves commendation. There was progress and this will facilitate confidence and bring some pride back to the team.

Of course bottom line football is primarily a results business but most fans would recognise the entertainment in yesterday's game as well as the signs that we are getting closer to the form that will ensure we will soon be picking up points again.

There is an analogy with kids and their progress at school I think we could see eye to eye on. It's not all about results ( grades and qualifications) but about effort, improvement and the desire to achieve your potential. FGR have the squad to be higher up the league than we are, yesterday's performance was the clearest indication yet that we will manage it.

I used to feel far more depressed when we were languishing near the bottom of the Conference under Alan Lewer or Gary Owers with very few signs of improvement. Even when we were riding high under Ady Pennock some of the games were tedious to watch, carving out a 1-0 win.

But the ride is a hard one and next week it will be far more difficult to get any points from the fixture at Notts County.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:09 am

Tomiswalking wrote:
Phil_mitchell wrote:All jokes aside maybe it's just time to stop all the back biting and calling for heads and just stick at the task in hand and get behind everyone. We need points quick and Cooper ain't going anywhere.

Good point, well made.

Yes well said. Lets make the most of what we have. The players haven't given up so why should we. Yes its a points business but there is some fun to be had on the way, win lose or draw.

The crowds have gone up significantly over the last few years but many of those swelling those numbers have been brought up on a diet of relative success (in a lower league). Perhaps they have a sense of entitlement to points that can't be met yet at this new, higher level - hence their abuse of the player and manager. Like Pitchfork, I'm enjoying myself more than when we struggled under Lewer and Owers. Points are the main objective but I can enjoy myself anyway by getting behind the team and being enthusiastically partisan.

I don't think that a repeat of yesterday's performance will get points at Notts County and the like but we have signs of improvement and so we need to take what comfort we can from them.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am

Kentstripe wrote:Watch Cooper off the ball, his movement is good, he always makes himself available and works damn hard. He's not the finished article but in no way does he deserve abuse.

One of our best players yesterday. Any so called fan giving him abuse deserve anything they get back. They are an embarrassment to the club.

Agree totally, have been saying this since he joined us last season, at least more people are starting to appreciate his qualities. Someone sat near me yesterday, who has seen far more football than I have, said that he was the best player on the pitch...I for one will not disagree with that view.

In our last two home games we have played far better, the arrival of Osbourne has given us a bit more of a physical presence in midfield, I saw an improvement in our play from the Swindon game. I think all of our players put in a decent shift yesterday, other than Charlie, Ozzy and Drissa who have already been singled out for praise I was impressed by both Dan and Mark Roberts who both performed very well.

Despite another defeat I remain upbeat. As others have pointed out the squad does look a bit thin now, with no chance to make significant changes until the transfer window opens again, which makes it even more important that we get behind the players we do have. I love a battling underdog, which is how we are being cast at the moment, I'm up for it...are you?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby michael » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:08 pm

“I think we do play a lot around the box, it’s how we do things, but maybe someone should pull the trigger and have a bit more confidence to get a goal,” he added.

Thats from Lee collins on the official site .

the problem is-last seasons second top goalscoring -KMB-who does exactly what Collins suggests is needed, is being allowed to fester somewhere.

Let me also lend my support to Kentstripes post about Charlie Cooper-i have consistently said from arrival he is quality-as KS posts-his movement is also good-its not just what you do on the ball.

Very very good player is CC.

-and at the same time -one of the few in the team who is not at his peak-so even more to come.

He is either a future FGR captain and legend-or will move on the a championship club for a good fee.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:09 pm

wasn't there yesterday, but, what ive seen so far this season is 100% commitment and effort from all players, including Charlie Cooper and I will not abuse or criticize this squad, its NOT their fault they are NOT good enough, its sad to say but this team is a shadow of what we have had over last 4 seasons, and, this team would be in bottom half of conference, no question. The issue as I posted under another thread is the structure from the top has no experience of football, thus the manager can say what he wants and do what he wants without be questioned by experienced people, they just fall for the repeated rhetoric game to game, manager has to take blame, but as we know, with his apparent high regard of his own abilities, he wont accept it.
Relegation beckons, restructure, new management and lets start again! Not gonna feel sorry for DV as he s got shed loads more than me and can obviously afford to chuck good money after bad!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm

That team, before substitutions, should be the same for Saturday's game against the front runners. No more permutations Mark.

Based on the Accrington comments about the quality of our display yesterday, I feel we can bring back the good times.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:That team, before substitutions, should be the same for Saturday's game against the front runners. No more permutations Mark.

Based on the Accrington comments about the quality of our display yesterday, I feel we can bring back the good times.

I have to agree with that, FA.
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but as soon as the game was over I felt that we had played together as a whole team and that's not a feeling I've had much so far this season. As a result I feel less downhearted today than I have done after most other matches so far.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 pm

When was the last time you heard an opposition manager say 'they ran around a lot, created very little and were poor in front of goal?'
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:37 pm

With all due respect, we played a lot better than ran about a lot and created very little, some of our football had Accrington chasing shadows.

Yes we should be creating more for that good play, but don't try and pretend Accrington saw us as no threat yesterday, as they certainly did.

I give credit where credit is due, and yesterday they deserve credit. We did not look like a bottom side at all.

Yes I'm seriously frustrated with results, yes I do not like Cooper, but yesterday's performance was good.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Who is Andy Stockhausen? Whoever he is he's written a pretty balanced match report in the FL Paper. Fine lines.

Also a good full page interview with Isiah Osbourne.

Long way to go yet but Swindon was a step up and yesterday was another step up in performance. Keep calm and carry on.

A losing streak is hard to take but as Mike Bulbeck says, get behind the players and management and work towards a win. And then another one and another one.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:51 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:With all due respect, we played a lot better than ran about a lot and created very little, some of our football had Accrington chasing shadows.

Yes we should be creating more for that good play, but don't try and pretend Accrington saw us as no threat yesterday, as they certainly did.

I give credit where credit is due, and yesterday they deserve credit. We did not look like a bottom side at all.

Yes I'm seriously frustrated with results, yes I do not like Cooper, but yesterday's performance was good.

We ran around a lot, created little and were not very good in front of goal. Sure, they were committed but I expect that as a minimum. You can have all the ball you want but if you can't do anything with it you're not going to win. It's the Rob Cook effect that glosses over the final score - worked hard, had a shot on goal and the most easily pleased set of fans to home celebrating like it was a victory.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Are you the most negative person in the world? Just asking like.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:12 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Are you the most negative person in the world? Just asking like.

Far from it. Yes, they're trying hard. That's their job. But they're not creating much. That isn't negativity, it's a reasonable observation. It's a match we never looked like winning.

I don't get pleased until I see results rather than what might have beens, close but no cigars, ifs, buts and maybes. Spirit is one thing - points are something else.

If I go to the theatre to see King Lear I want to see something good. If the actors tried their best but didn't deliver, I don't remember it as a good show.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Are you the most negative person in the world? Just asking like.

Are you from or near the Furness peninsula FGR-L? That's the only place in the world that puts the 'like' in the right place, to those up there, that is. At the end and not at the beginning of a phrase as today's lot start off their quotes with.

eg. "I was like .............." ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Haha, Bristonian by birth. 8-)
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:29 pm

fgr4life wrote:

Couldn't agree more

Totally agree. If they are having a go at him after yesterday it goes to show what we suspected all along - undeserved thoughtless bilious individuals
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

Postby fgr2016 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:That team, before substitutions, should be the same for Saturday's game against the front runners. No more permutations Mark.

Totally agree.
fgr2016
Youth
Youth

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team