Match thread from Whaddon Road (Cheltenham) Trophy

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Whaddon Road (Cheltenham) Trophy

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 am

Tomiswalking wrote:I enjoyed that :) well done rovers!

Those Cheltenham fans were weird. Not the main lot, just the little kids and that one older guy who came running over. Was that you kgiii?

I guess you can't read. Already said I wasn't there.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 am

Couldn't make it to Whaddon Rd last night but thanks for the reports folks. Don't care that it was the "nothing" competition but do care that it was such an awaited win against our beloved friends up North :D

Great encouragement now for Saturday. A point or 3 would be a big step forward on the way to recovery from the terrible start to the season. C'mon on Rovers.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 am

Giraffe ain’t old :D prime of life.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 am

I think that it was great that we won. And yes, they are obsessed with us. Sad bunch.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Si Robin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

king giraffe III wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:You are the wierd one, sucking up to them on their rubbish little forum slagging us off.

I have read your posts on there and you come across as a bit strange.

They have an unhealthy obsession with slagging us off, and then pretend they don't care. At least I admit it is a proper local derby.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I doubt anyone in Cheltenham is getting as worked up as you are about it. I've posted from time to time on the Robins Nest for years under various guises. I've never had any hassles over there in the slightest and have always gotten on well with Cheltenham fans. I'm probably older than you which may explain why I've no bad feelings to Cheltenham.

Gloucester City is their real derby.

This is a fact.

There may be a few kids desperate for a rivalry because we've not had a real one for 20 years now (see also Swindon, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Rushden and Diamonds and, mainly, Hereford), but don't for a second think that the majority of fans class FGR as anything but a local game.

A good few of us used to come over to FGR when Cheltenham were away and we had plans for the Saturday evening. God knows I even own and old FGR shirt from the 06/07 season.

I can assure you, I don't know a single Cheltenham fan who was devastated by last night's result. It's akin to our reserves losing to Gloucester City last week in the County Cup. The comp is a joke, little more than a way of shoe-horning Premier League 'B' teams into the Football League. There will be fans that will go to every game regardless, but I fully stand with anyone that refuses to go and show this comp up for the joke it is.
Si Robin
Trainee
Trainee

Postby michael » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

stanman wrote:
Great encouragement now for Saturday. A point or 3 would be a big step forward on the way to recovery from the terrible start to the season. C'mon on Rovers.

i like to win every game-including the coin toss-and more importantly-just like OTC -the pre-match warm up- so pleased with the win.

i think it is important to progress, to bring a little cheer-and keep interest up.

so hope i am wrong-but i still can't see any alternative but FGR being 12 points off safety/the other 22 clubs by christmas .

hopefully,it will provide a bit of confidence/momentum prior to saturday-has,nt made any difference to my life-but hope it does for players and manager.

small problem-if as a few others suggest-this does provide this momentum/confidence thing-as Port Vale and Chesterfield also won last night-i guess it also applies to them-so its as you were !

still-pleased with the win regardless.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

Si Robin wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:You are the wierd one, sucking up to them on their rubbish little forum slagging us off.

They have an unhealthy obsession with slagging us off, and then pretend they don't care. At least I admit it is a proper local derby.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I doubt anyone in Cheltenham is getting as worked up as you are about it. I've posted from time to time on the Robins Nest for years under various guises. I've never had any hassles over there in the slightest and have always gotten on well with Cheltenham fans. I'm probably older than you which may explain why I've no bad feelings to Cheltenham.

This is a fact.

There may be a few kids desperate for a rivalry because we've not had a real one for 20 years now (see also Swindon, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Rushden and Diamonds and, mainly, Hereford), but don't for a second think that the majority of fans class FGR as anything but a local game.

A good few of us used to come over to FGR when Cheltenham were away and we had plans for the Saturday evening. God knows I even own and old FGR shirt from the 06/07 season.

I can assure you, I don't know a single Cheltenham fan who was devastated by last night's result. It's akin to our reserves losing to Gloucester City last week in the County Cup. The comp is a joke, little more than a way of shoe-horning Premier League 'B' teams into the Football League. There will be fans that will go to every game regardless, but I fully stand with anyone that refuses to go and show this comp up for the joke it is.

You see SiRobin, this is what I have to deal with on here.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby richmond » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 am

Excellent result, if for nothing else, confidence all around.

We played very well.

People keep concentrating on the changes they made. well we made some overall, and most importantly we could have been four up by half time. There goalkeeper and posts were excellent!

So maybe this was a weaker Cheltenham, but certainly in the first half we played them off the pitch. We were more progressive and fluid than at any time this season.

Most importantly it was an extension of our very fine game on Saturday. So progress.

I want to single out Reece Brown. I was very critical of him earlier in the season. It seemed like a puff of wind could blow him off the ball. On Saturday and again last night, he was tenacious, put his foot in, and even tried to head the ball. Most of all though his distribution was excellent, and it's already clear he has an eye for goal.

Secondly Osbourne. He is possibly our most significant signing this year. Powerful, direct, and I think what he also allows is for DT to play for 90 minutes.

We may not get anything from Saturday, but i am confident we will get a performance.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 am

I agree with most of what Si Robin has written.
On radio today Cheltenham fans commented that the win meant more to FGR than to their club, which is true.
But the £10,000 win bonus will come in handy as will, hopefully, a restoration of team confidence.
And to put it bluntly, in years to come future historians will read that FGRs first away win as a Football League club was at Whaddon Road.

FGR were better team throughout game and after the first five minutes, our players more or less silenced their fans until they scored.
Gosh that goal seemed to be the catalyst for the 'red army' to vent their pent up frustration against FGR in song.
Actually quite amusing: I heard a few of our FGR supporters sing along with them F*** Forest Green Rovers" especially after we equalised and took lead.
It was a fantastic atmosphere and I look forward to both El Glosico matches later is season when TNL and Whaddon Road will be packed to the rafters.

It was a fantastic tribute by Scott Lindley at end of game to personally bring over Jordan Stevens for a special round of applause by the FGR faithful.
Both of them looked more than very happy.

Despite not having a supporters coach organised it was good to read that 167 FGR attended game. We can all say WE WERE THERE for a historic win. In years to come I'm sure a thousand or more fans will claim to have watched match.
Glory, Glory, Forest Green Rovers but I hope it is not a false dawn as the Newport game turned out to be.

COYR
Last edited by The Old TomCat on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 am

your point about the £10k is well made.

i forgot that-and yes-important.

amazing that its not recognised as such by many supporters of many clubs.

many talk about prize money in the FA Cup=yes equally vital-i am not sure of amount-but prob about £15k for a win in the 1st round.
but with this allegard tin pot competition-there is £30k available just in the group stages-maybe puts a different perspective on its importance !

credit check -a -trade and EFL for making that available surely ?
money does not come easy
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am

Si Robin wrote:

And let's face it, you can concentrate on the league now! ;)
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 am

Newport host Swansea next Tuesday. Anything other then a Newport win guarantees us a place in the last 32.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am

king giraffe III wrote:
Si Robin wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

This is a fact.

You see SiRobin, this is what I have to deal with on here.

O sod off 200 odd behind goal constantly singing anti FGr songs trying to do the old football factory routine (before running away) search #FFG on twitter then come back to me.
Giraffe you dissapoint me this love in with Cheltenham and loathing of FGR fans is criminal.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 am

In the circumstances this was a welcome and much needed win. However, we played well against MK Dons and lost the following Saturday and the Newport win proved to be a false dawn.
Maybe it’s different this time, all we can do is hope
The danger signs are still there. Yet another catastrophic mistake which could have resulted in yet another defeat. I heard a few ‘given the ball away’ on the commentary but not too many and Russell seemed to have gone awol at some point. Charlie Cooper had a good game on Saturday but last night he seemed to be a weak link.
Overall the defence seems more assured but we still faff around with the ball in the final third. Someone should be prepared to take a risk and make something happen.
I don’t know why others deny that many Cheltenham fans reserve a peculiar and unhealthy loathing for FGR. It’s definitely there. Maybe it’s because they have an over-inflated opinion of their regency town and feel a natural superiority over the rest of the county. For the moment all that matters is our survival.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

The Old TomCat wrote:And to put it bluntly, in years to come future historians will read that FGRs first away win as a Football League club was at Whaddon Road.

It was a fantastic tribute by Scott Lindley at end of game to personally bring over Jordan Simpson for a special round of applause by the FGR faithful.
Both of them looked more than very happy.

Despite not having a supporters coach organised it was good to read that 167 FGR attended game. We can all say WE WERE THERE for a historic win. In years to come I'm sure a thousand or more fans will claim to have watched match.
Glory, Glory, Forest Green Rovers but I hope it is not a false dawn as the Newport game turned out to be.

COYR

Points well made OTC

Emotional clip of interview with Jordan Stevens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhfjIs5ZswQ

Jordan Simpson is on loan at Hungerford, just too many Jordans at FGR!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:46 am

See Port Vale have a new manager. Neil Aspin from Gateshead and before that Halifax from memory.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 am

Gary Johnson said he was unhappy with the performance of some of his players after the defeat by Forest Green Rovers in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday night.
"Two or three players didn't perform on the day, and we lost the game."

And well he might be upset. Apparently Cheltenham changed 8 players from previous match, but those chosen were all experienced 1st team professionals [with exception of 18-year-old Bower]
Well over half of that Cheltenham team have played in most of their games so far this season.

On other hand the FGR goalscorer [Jordan Stevens] has played less than 30 minutes league football in his life.

Obviously some sort of balance is required by both sets of supporters especially those from Whaddon Road who read our forum and are wallowing in self pity.

ps to Pitchfork: Amended
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Lawn Rangers » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am

I fail to understand the comments that this is "a nothing competition". Last year we were probably losing in the FA Trophy in front of a few hundred and probably losing money at the same time. We have now had 2 wins and £20,000 in our pockets and already through the group. With the group being regionalised that was good in creating more interest. This was a much needed confidence boosting win and we played very well unlucky not to be 2 or 3 up at half time.
The Lawn Rangers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:27 am

I just watched the interview with Jordan Stevens. So pleased for him.

Will there be any match highlights so we can see his goal?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:32 am

Great quote from Jordan Stevens interview when talking about getting the ball on the edge of the box "Have a go if you're in that position" ..... now wouldn't that be a good mindset for some of our other players ???
What chance he will start ahead of CC though ? Answers on a postcard ...............
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team