Match thread from Meadow Lane (Notts County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Meadow Lane (Notts County)

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Reference Pitchfork, does the referee stop the watch for a substitution to be made.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Cotswold farmer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 am

A good solid performance just what Rovers needed if this can be built upon Rovers can now move forward.
Well done FGR!
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby redrobin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:18 am

Commis for the lost two points today.
Good result against the leaders nevertheless.

You have to remember tho, all the top teams play to the very final whistle :P :P :P
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 am

don't get to too many away games (not fgr away games any way ) but that was how i expect an away team to perform-a job well done, and it looked like professional footballers as opposed to semi pros from the bostik league trapped in the headlights.
thus my 5-1 loss prediction marginally wrong.

Not getting carried away -similarly -i can never understand why people get excited when their team take the lead-to best of my knowledge-you don't get any points for scoring-only winning and drawing at the end ,which is all i care about .

I thought Notts County played their natural game-which arguably suited FGR.
Other 'lesser' teams press FGR high up-and stop them passing-and have sussed out-thats the way to beat FGR.
Enabling FGR to play' their game' today suited.
also game was played at a slower pace than the few others i have seen at this level-again=gave more time for fgr to be 'organised'
Noticeable that for first 20 mins of second half-Notts County also pressed FGR high up-and FGR did not get a look in.
Credit to FGR for riding through that-and then increasingly looked the better side-and in control for remainder of second half.
Unfortunately -most teams will not allow FGR to play-hence why i am more cautious about progress than many on here.

I take encouragement from fact that as others state-defence looked much better-and Collins and Roberts in the middle-solid -and not really exposed by pace either-good positioning from them both-albeit they were normally level with each other-and to my mind-when one central defender goes for the ball-the other goes back a bit 'just in case' as opposed to staying level.
Wishart surprised me-looked like a solid proper defensive full back at last-not just someone who can prance up the wing,and not defend .

Interesting how Mark Cooper reacted to the late goal in post match interview
yes-7 out of 10 he would have saved it-but i would not describe it as a howler
In the national league-nothing would have been said by the manager-now he does quite openly in post match interviews -demonstrates the higher standards/requirements of EFL

Reading KG111's post with interest-have to agree about james.-
I don't agree about Cooper though-yes-he gives the ball away -but could that be because he is involved more than any other player.(a bit like a company who are three times the size of another company, and unsurprisingly-get more complaints-simply because of how much work they do )Does he do a lot more work than any other player-and thus is more conspicuous. Great twisting defensive header by him on 80th minute clearing the lines -why no mention of that.

I now know why i like to stand at games-so i can walk away from the moaners-even at this away game-some guy moaning vociferously about CC literally from the 1st minute .
(maybe not a great idea to wear pink boots though Charlie-we can't miss you )

Why when defending corners-is Bugiel one of the two players left upfield-when he is reasonable in the air-yet smaller fgr players who have no chance of winning aerial battles are back defending ?-odd one that to me.

pity the equaliser did not come 15 minutes earlier-less painful-and we may even have seen a 15 minute cameo from KMB that way-
Mr Cooper said midweek he wants the players to take more shots-isn't that what KMB does-and was thus last seasons second top goalscorer .
KMB for James -and a few more points may be accumulated pre-christmas

i thought the pre-match warm -ups were very evenly contested-but during the interval-FGR smashed 'em.
Notts county just left their subs to their own devices and a kick -a -bout -no sign of a coach -how very national league north is that ?

Good professional away performance today.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:15 am

Thanks for the reports Camel, Pitchfork and others. Seeing their goal, I too eas disappointed Russell didn’t save it. He is a shot stopper and it that one didn’t look hard to keep out. But let’s not change things unless suspensions or injuries force that - especially at the back.

Regarding Lindsay coming over to the fans at the end - good. I hope it sets an example to MC. But to be fair, it’s easier to come over after winning a point away or winning at home than it is after a loss. We’ve all see the abuse that MC and some players in the team have had hurled at them - stupidly imo. It must be hard to invite that by walking over when the fans are less happy than they were yesterday.

Maybe if we offered a bit more unconditional love, we’d get a bit more acknowledgement from the players and management.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:47 am

twinkletoes wrote:Reference Pitchfork, does the referee stop the watch for a substitution to be made.

No they don't, they add it on for injury time!
King George
Reserves
Reserves

Postby mauler » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:44 am

good day out and a great advert for train travel - nice chats with Chesterfield fan on way up although he was a bit bitter about our new money. Nice pint in the Vat and Fiddle Camra pub. And yes, we made it to Hooters walking against the flow and the three of us being asked "where are the other 6 fans?" Odd place that! Glad to see 150 in the stadium where we thoroughly enjoyed the game. More chat on the way back - County fan had lost £100 on the bet to win and a Derby fan seemingly impressed with FGR, who we were proud to be representing on the road!
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 am

King George wrote:
twinkletoes wrote:Reference Pitchfork, does the referee stop the watch for a substitution to be made.

No they don't, they add it on for injury time!

Another myth or misconception.
There is nothing called 'injury time'.
It is called ADDED TIME.
At the end of each half the referee shall make allowance for time lost in that half through either injury, substitution of players or other enforced stoppages which can cover several things.
Accordingly the correct terminology to be broadcast over the PA should state, 'The referee has indicated a MINIMUM of ....... so should a substitution still ensue or a long period of celebration from a goal, then the referee will continue the added time until the actual PLAY TIME is concluded.
Possibly had the substitution not been made then we may not have seen the equaliser but that is purely hypothetical. One wonders who actually made that decision?

Overall a pleasing result but it could have been better but can't comment more because not there. The squad and management just need to take it forward as part of the learning curve in League Two.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 am

Can't criticise the late sub too much imo, the vast majority of teams do exactly the same to waste a few seconds, it's nothing new and usually helps kill the momentum.

In theory having another big defender come on to help deal with them launching in high crosses is a reasonable call, it didn't turn out that way but had we conceded without making a change I'm sure some would say why didn't we try and shore things up to protect against the late aerial threat?

Anyway, decent result. Need to take the positives and build on it now.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 am

The PA did announce a 'minimum' of 5 minutes. And we made a slow substitution during those minutes. So adding two more minutes was totally justified in my view. At the time I thought the substitution (bringing on a CB) was a good move, as by that point we were defending the Alamo. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks for the clarification Colin. It is as I thought, so like you I wondered who made the decision about the added time substitution.
Presumably Scott and/or Mark?
One wonders what the reason was for this very late decision?
One assumes whoever made the decision is aware of the laws by which the referee has to abide?

All questions after the event though - really encouraging FGR performance and I only wish I could have been there - it could be the most important game so far of our first season in The Football League especially if it heralds a better sequence of results with a more settled team and hence added confidence and less schoolboy errors.
Hope so.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am

I so much hope I’ve been wrong about Cooper’s training routines and his man management skills.
Maybe this group of players are dedicated to the cause and will give everything to the manager. Still not convinced Cooper merits a guaranteed start.
Desperately frustrated with the equaliser but a draw away is still an achievement especially given our poor form of late.
Hopefully the momentum and confidence is with us and can look forward to the real possibly of a win on Saturday.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am

twinkletoes wrote:King giraffe gave a positive report on todays game, hard to believe and even harder for me is the fact that for once I agree with everything he stated!!!

You always agree with everything I write. Don't pretend you don't.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jokerman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 am

THIEVING MAGPIES STEAL ROVERS THUNDER.

A win of any sort is welcome at Forest Green Rovers following their inauspicious start to the campaign and at Whaddon Road on Tuesday they achieved a victory in the EFL Trophy against neighbours Cheltenham Town. Manager Mark Cooper took the opportunity to field his strongest line-up in order to give his players valuable competitive game time in which to build teamwork.
The strength of the opposition was irrelevant but the result was crucial to the Rovers,players and supporters alike.
It was certainly a boost for the fans standing on the side of the road heading for the East Midlands this damp cloudy morning. A daunting away journey to league leaders Notts County.
Kendo is fully loaded leaving some looking for lifts. It is a surprisingly early start for a Midlands fixture and despite a lengthy pit stop there is still time to take in a cruise on the River Trent and an open top bus tour of the City before kick-off. However Nottingham is no stranger to Real Ale and The Navigation adjacent to the Meadow Lane stadium will suffice and is offering a choice of at least six on tap. Which was nice. A stark contrast to The Green Man last week.
Notts county have chosen this fixture as a promotional community event and have reduced admission to attract a large attendance. They were duly rewarded as a crowd of over thirteen thousand were present as the teams paraded. The hundred and fifty from Forest Green were in good voice.
Mark Cooper selected Bugiel to partner Doidge in attack after Reece Brown called in sick. The mid-field and back line having shown marked improvement of late is beginning to pick its self though Collins is preferred to Fitzwater today and Keanu returns to the bench from somewhere in the distance.
The match starts predictably with the home side on the front foot winning a couple of free kicks and a corner that are either wasted or dealt with by Rovers who offer little in reply.
Twenty minutes in the game springs to life.
Roberts and Rovers keeper Russell beg to differ and a no pressure back pass concedes a soft corner.
The kick reaches the back post where Traore makes a timely block but the ball is still loose and Cooper does well to make two more blocks before Traore finally clears the danger.
Soon after Rovers reply when Doidge takes possession thirty yards from goal beats off a tackle and runs at the County defensive line. They allow him to run into the penalty area where he strikes the ball across keeper Collin to the back post and Bugiel steaming in slides it into the net.
26mins and Forest Green Rovers get that first goal at last.
County hit back from the re-start Dickinson attacks down the left and slips the ball inside the box to Grant who fails to shoot from close range and is blocked out to the groans of his supporters.
The goal appears to have pricked the Notts County balloon. Traore is suddenly finding acres of space and it is Rovers who are looking the better outfit.
On thirty five minutes good build up play resulted in Bennett firing a splendid cross into the box for James to flash a header goalwards that had Collin at full stretch to push the ball around the post for a corner. From the kick there was more uncertainty in the County defence as they scrambled the clearance.
Seconds later the experienced County player Milsom started rolling on the floor in mid-field forcing a time-out. It is becoming a noticeable ploy,both sides went to their coaches for instructions.
Rovers continued to dominate and James had the confidence to drive forward and unleash a shot from distance that cleared the bar. Some of Rovers play even brought applause from the home fans,there can be no higher accolade.
In time added on in the first period Rovers were nearly undone when an exquisite passing movement on the left of the area carved open the defence and only Russell's legs prevented the scores being level at the break.
As the Forest Green fans headed for the Michelin style eatery to agonise over a 'double radial' or the more healthy 'low profile' burger they realised they were witnessing their teams transformation into an EFL league side more than worthy of the name.
Not unexpectedly Notts County took the game to Rovers as the second half took shape and for twenty five minutes they hammered away looking for an opening.
Dickinson again set up Grant with a clear shot from the edge of the area but it was weak and wide.
A corner from the left ended with strong appeals for a penalty after Osbourne fell on the ball under extreme pressure but the referee was having none of it.
Russell was doing all that was asked of him,cutting out crosses confidently though still found time to have a Wembley moment wandering in the wilderness with the ball never quite under his control.
On seventy minutes Traore was replaced by Randall. The rain began to fall.
During the final ten minutes of normal time Forest Green looked to have seen off the County attack and indeed began to look to add to their scoreline.
Cooper let fly from distance that forced Collin to fumble the ball out for a corner and soon after Bugiel had a free header from six yards that he managed to put wide.
This effort was matched by County with three minutes left when they broke from defence and Grant
crossed to Forte who looked sure to score but his header went wide to the cheers of the Rovers fans and the clock ticked down.
The number five shone brightly held aloft by the fourth official and it signalled desperation in the home team. The Forest Green defence were magnificent,Osbourne outstanding cajoling his team mates throughout. Collins,Roberts et al working so hard.
Deep into the five James was replaced by Lacovitti.
County continued to press forward and the Rovers support were screaming at the referee to call time as the defence were noticeably tiring as the finishing end was at hand.
A final surge by County down the right and a wicked cross found the head of Milsom. The pace on the cross gave the ball just too much momentum for Russell's gallant right arm to prevent the ball crossing the line and the stadium roared. For Forest Green supporters that huge hollow void began to rise from somewhere deep inside.
The final whistle was incidental. The players dazed,Roberts positively catatonic for minutes after.
They were cheered to the rafters by the fans as they came to reciprocate.
They had given their all and as they exited the stadium they emerged a far stronger side than had entered. The only way is up.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am

Jokerman wrote:THIEVING MAGPIES STEAL ROVERS THUNDER.

That's not very nice thing to say about Magpies, we are quite nice really. ;)
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby kennysarmy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am

kennysarmy
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 am

Is it a requisite for every Notts a county fan to be an arrogant patronising idiot!!

Never heard so many disparaging remarks about FGR in one mediocre video. Slagging off our fans, when we took a very respectable 150 odd, our team and our whole club.

Very strange club, and I would love to beat them to wipe of the smiles of these cretins back at our place.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:22 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:Is it a requisite for every Notts a county fan to be an arrogant patronising idiot!!

Never heard so many disparaging remarks about FGR in one mediocre video. Slagging off our fans, when we took a very respectable 150 odd, our team and our whole club.

Very strange club, and I would love to beat them to wipe of the smiles of these cretins back at our place.

It's one person, that's all. I found their fans to be very friendly. Had no problems at all.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:40 am

FGR-Ledge wrote:Is it a requisite for every Notts a county fan to be an arrogant patronising idiot!!

Oh dear I wouldn't want to stand next to him week in, week out! Not an untypical perception of FGR from the very beginning of his vlog, he acknowledges how the mighty County have fallen in contrast to the rise of FGR. He continues to slag off his own team for most of the time, failing to give any credit to our commendable play, possession and creativity.

However, like LG111, I found their fans friendly and welcoming both outside and inside the ground. There was no reference to the Noble hassles and after the game they were very creditable about our performance.

Their ground, organisation and efforts reading the 'community day' were excellent.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am

kennysarmy wrote:https://youtu.be/0UoEXMBRHcw

Haha fantastic.

These big teams really don't like the threat of being beaten by a little club.

A bit like the Swindon manager saying they were just pretending to be rubbish until they got the goals! Hilarious, am looking forward to more of this as we progress through the year. I am especially looking forward to the reactions when we win.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team