MC is finding the right formula

All about our First Team

Re: MC is finding the right formula

Postby lovejoy2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 am

20yrs and counting wrote:Agree Collins just about edges for me better keeper, obvious weakness being organisation, being vocal and commanding the box. Hence why Russell re-called. We just haven’t got the points to “break in “ Collins to the 1st team and maybe Russell right choice for now.

I may be wrong regarding Bennett yellow card, bbc has Collins, Traore and Cc awarded yellows. General point is we got to try to evade yellows with relatively small squad, though do love the players commitment and desire for the shirt at the moment.

You must be watching a different player to me. Russel hasn't been on top form. But Collins has been woeful. Made crucial mistakes in every game he's played and was becoming a complete liability.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:22 am

I agree with Lovejoy on the basis of what I have seen. The goal conceded at County last Saturday was a Russell error in my book and he needs to improve. But his confidence will have taken a knock as he had to step aside for Collins and we mighty not see a return to form for a few more games yet.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 am

Tommo wrote:I agree with Lovejoy on the basis of what I have seen. The goal conceded at County last Saturday was a Russell error in my book and he needs to improve. But his confidence will have taken a knock as he had to step aside for Collins and we mighty not see a return to form for a few more games yet.

I agree. Match fitness applies to keepers too. No surprise in that sense that the goal came so late in the game. I hope with time he will return to his best. Those saves were bread and butter for him last season.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby RyRover » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 am

I still feel like Rhys Murphy could add something to our options going forward. Would like to see him back in the fold when and if he returns. We need another defensive midfielder in January and a decent winger and we'll be closer to where we should be. But let's just get behind what we have now!
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Tommo wrote:I agree with Lovejoy on the basis of what I have seen. The goal conceded at County last Saturday was a Russell error in my book and he needs to improve. But his confidence will have taken a knock as he had to step aside for Collins and we mighty not see a return to form for a few more games yet.

valid point about 'match fitness-even for goalkeepers.
( i would add that whilst on another day-russell may have done better-where were the 3 central defenders who were meant to be positioned in the 6 yard box to cut out such headers in the first place )

but who is responsible for chopping and changing the goalkeepers-and thus breeding a bit of uncertainty/nervousness in both of them.

some may say that the goalkeepers should be able to deal with that 'management pressure'-again-fair comment-but does the situation that Mr Cooper has put them both in .really help either ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Personally hoping that Gomes and Monty are available for this weekend .................. Gomes would have been a great option to bring on for James after an hour (not 94 minutes !!!) - reckon he would have run the County defence ragged !
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:59 pm

me thinks you underestimate the quality of most defenders in the EFL2 .

not so sure they can be run ragged these days unless you are of the quality of bale/sterling etc ..
Rendell -although only on briefly-didn't manage much of an impact on saturday.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

camel wrote:

I agree. Match fitness applies to keepers too. No surprise in that sense that the goal came so late in the game. I hope with time he will return to his best. Those saves were bread and butter for him last season.

Not sure why Russell should be any less match fit then Collins tbh. Both had full pre-seasons and have played 8 (Collins) and 7 (Russell) competitive matches respectively. Should be pretty much equal. Saturday was Sam's 4th consecutive start.

I personally would pick Sam but he has to play well to keep the shirt. He'll know full well he had to do better with that header, but the important thing is not to dwell on it.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mauler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 pm

I agree with the thread title and that we have turned the corner.

Looking forward to Sat. Also was reflecting how far FGR had come in a year - my social media showed me a pic from a year ago at North Ferriby which I compared to Notts County stadium. I enjoyed both away days but chalk and cheese!
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Michael - whilst I agree L2 defenders are better quality than we've been used to in the NL I do also think in most games we've made them look good by not committing ourselves to get forward and putting them under pressure. There are signs that this is changing. The 2nd half at Port Vale, in spells against Accrington and then on Saturday I would say we made the County defence look very average considering their lofty league position. Bringing on the pace & trickery of someone like Gomes when the surface is slippery and legs are getting tired .... would be another positive move for me and show further signs that our confidence is growing.
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby andymac26 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Michael - whilst I agree L2 defenders are better quality than we've been used to in the NL I do also think in most games we've made them look good by not committing ourselves to get forward and putting them under pressure. There are signs that this is changing. The 2nd half at Port Vale, in spells against Accrington and then on Saturday I would say we made the County defence look very average considering their lofty league position. Bringing on the pace & trickery of someone like Gomes when the surface is slippery and legs are getting tired .... would be another positive move for me and show further signs that our confidence is growing.

Agree with this - get at them more, test them out, pressurise, and we'll likely force mistakes. Tricky, pacey, forward thinking players can only help. If we are to completely turn a corner, it will be through taking the game further forward and having more of a go.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Long way to go yet. Keep calm and carry on.

Sam did very well on Saturday and got done by a soft header. If it had been better connected he would have saved it. Stick with Sam IMHO. Far more solid at the back.

Last Saturday was our best overall team performance this season. Don't let it slip back, we all know what is required now in League 2.

Whatever was not going to plan it didn't go to plan at Wycombe Cambridge etc. And now it is. But definitely not time to get carried away.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am

some of us may dare to say that its not much of a plan then -if getting one point from the six available in the last two improved performances is now going to plan !

-excuse sarcasm/cynicism.

agree-from what i saw last saturday, compared to previois occasions was better-but i would always prefer to be rubbish and win.

-if the performances have indeed improved-other teams will also be improving-and whilst i hope i am wrong-i just don't think there is enough 'quality in this side to get out of bottom 2/3 .

i have a horrible feeling that it will be normal service on this forum on saturday evening-with everyone's heads going back in the oven/cooper must go stuff etc etc
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mauler » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am

Performances go in a cycle and we are on the up curve and results will improve starting Sat.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Personally hoping that Gomes and Monty are available for this weekend .................. Gomes would have been a great option to bring on for James after an hour (not 94 minutes !!!) - reckon he would have run the County defence ragged !

I agree about Gomes. He has the pace to get the better of tired legs.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:31 pm

michael wrote:i have a horrible feeling that it will be normal service on this forum on saturday evening-with everyone's heads going back in the oven/cooper must go stuff etc etc

From you maybe, but never from me.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm

As with everybody else I'm not happy with FGR at 22nd in table, but check out the top of table teams that we have already played and with Coventry & Stevenage next two away games.
BUT thereafter the fixtures offer FGR a chance to have a decent winning run against some of the lower mid-table teams until perhaps Christmas [Luton (home) excepted]. By then we might have generated a lot of our own momentum and probably start to worry some of those bigger supported clubs.
COYR
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
michael wrote:i have a horrible feeling that it will be normal service on this forum on saturday evening-with everyone's heads going back in the oven/cooper must go stuff etc etc

From you maybe, but never from me.

Perhaps. But the point is that we have to maintain our faith and support regardless of the result this Saturday. Newport are a strong team. Wewill be competitive I am sure but the current form of both teams stacks the odds against a win for us. Defeat is more likely.

That means that if we do get a win, the force will feel like it’s with us but we need to stay positive anyway. Or at least, not get miserable,
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 am

there must be hope.

i still find it staggering that Newport are doing so well after last season,and don't understand why .

maybe they are 'overperforming 'and thus again-does give FGR a chance.

For me-interesting game this one .
hope to get there to understand why a poor team last season has turned into a good one this season
(unfortunately some may say reverse also applies ,but hope all those suggesting the home team have turned the corner manifests itself in three points.

FGR play rubbish and win luckily would suit me just as well
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:13 pm

NewForestRover wrote:Nothing against Bradley but Sam in goal brings confidence to back 4.
Who are all starting to gel.

Drissa, CC, Omar, James and Doidge are proving how well they can work together if they believe in themselves.
And we also have Brown, Gomes, Iacovitti and Stevens waiting in the wings.

Osbourne has made such a difference.

Everything is falling into place.
We are starting to play as a team.

I have to mention Dan Wishart (again!) I just knew he was a good player waiting to happen. And he's happening!

Good luck MC.
We're all behind you.
:)

No we are not!!!!!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team