World Mental Health Day

All about our First Team

World Mental Health Day

Postby camel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am

Today is World Mental Health Day and it remains one of the taboo subjects of sport. Mental health is indiscriminate and doesn't pick by wage, profession etc. There are plenty of sports people affected by it from Cricket, to hockey, to football to every other sport.

On days like today I think it's a good time to take stock, talk about it a bit and ask ourselves whether we do all we can to support what are a group of young men trying to make their way in the world in an age range where suicide is the biggest killer. Yes they do a job many of us can only dream of, but that doesn't mean they are immune to the same struggles as everyone else.

It is a game of passion but seeing and hearing some comments recently I wonder if sometimes we need to check and balance how far we take it and whether we help or hinder mental well-being at times.

Equally there are plenty of supporters with mental health problems who watch the game. We should look to support and encourage the game as sport for everyone and maybe make allowances from time to time when stood in the terraces.

To all the players, staff and fans who may be suffering, I for one am right behind you.

(I don't mean this as a preach or judgemental post, I'm not whiter than white. But it's a good time to think and reflect.)
camel
First Team
First Team

Re: World Mental Health Day

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Thumbs up from I.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Agree wholeheartedly..........you never know who,when or where it will affect. But as many of you will have witnessed, the services are not there to help.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Well said Camel.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Here here.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Here here.

And hear hear
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm

We are dealing with an immediate family member who is experiencing mental health issues, but as i previously stated, the help is just not there. After many case-conferences, placements being dangled, the outcome is sadly the same - no funding, and with this then comes the added worry of self-harm and possible suicide attempts. Welcome to the Governments answer to cut-backs. What do we do ?.....
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Be kind. You never know what’s going on behind someone’s smile
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm

best post for a long time.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm

GETCARTER wrote:We are dealing with an immediate family member who is experiencing mental health issues, but as i previously stated, the help is just not there. After many case-conferences, placements being dangled, the outcome is sadly the same - no funding, and with this then comes the added worry of self-harm and possible suicide attempts. Welcome to the Governments answer to cut-backs. What do we do ?.....

The mental health provision under this government is atrocious. You've got anxiety or depression, so the doctor prescribes a book you can get out from the library after a three month wait. You've got to be in the depths before they take you seriously.

But why spend money on that when there are nuclear weapons and submarines to upkeep?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:17 pm

I work in a mental health hospital. I can't say too much due to confidentially but the work the NHS does with these people is awesome. I interact with various stages of MH across eight wards and its incredible stressful but my goodness it can be rewarding but tragic at the same time.

There but the grace of God go I.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 pm

GETCARTER wrote:We are dealing with an immediate family member who is experiencing mental health issues, but as i previously stated, the help is just not there. After many case-conferences, placements being dangled, the outcome is sadly the same - no funding, and with this then comes the added worry of self-harm and possible suicide attempts. Welcome to the Governments answer to cut-backs. What do we do ?.....

Sorry to hear it, but thanks for sharing. Sadly it's a story all too familiar up and down the country. mental health is becoming a growing problem and the support that is required isn't sufficient.

I look back at some of the stuff we did at school and think it was a complete waste of time. Yet we didn't once talk about stress, anxiety or depression, or any other mental health illnesses and how it is normal and how to respond to it. It seems like it would have been time we'll spent as nearly all of us will either suffer from mental health or know someone who does and in both cases it can be hard to deal with when there is limited support available.

I know from my own experiences from suffering with anxiety and depression after a couple of 'life events' and from seeing friends and family suffer from mental health illness that it is not easy, but the growing awareness and understanding is a positive step in the right direction. Thankfully there are many examples of how people can come through and either recover or learn to sufficiently cope.

Going back to your post GetCarter I wish you and your family all the best and hope you have a positive outcome soon.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm

twoguns wrote:I work in a mental health hospital. I can't say too much due to confidentially but the work the NHS does with these people is awesome. I interact with various stages of MH across eight wards and its incredible stressful but my goodness it can be rewarding but tragic at the same time.

There but the grace of God go I.

All credit to you TwoGuns. Having known someone be admitted to a mental health hospital and visiting them my experience of people working in MH is only positive. They were caring and compassionate beyond anything you could expect or ask for. The only problem was that they didn't have enough resources, whether that be staff or beds.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm

king giraffe III wrote:

The mental health provision under this government is atrocious. You've got anxiety or depression, so the doctor prescribes a book you can get out from the library after a three month wait. You've got to be in the depths before they take you seriously.

But why spend money on that when there are nuclear weapons and submarines to upkeep?

Totally agree, I work with young people. Their mental health is often not taken seriously until real damage is done.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Theoperator » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 pm

king giraffe III wrote:

Its been atrocious for many years sadly KG111, even when Blair pumped loads into the NHS Mental Health got paltry amounts, The coalition didnt make any difference and no change now. Its not a party political thing, thats whats especially bad, all 3 main partys have missed the point :(
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am

Chris Kirkland talking about mental health. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ?CMP=fb_gu
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Corner Flag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am

During the last couple of years or so I was going through some tumultuos times and not feeling great mentally to say the least. Combined with working nightshifts it was (quite literally) a very dark time for me. Fluoxitine (from the doctor) helped a bit and my spirits were raised for quite a while somewhere around the middle of May for some reason! :D But the real thing that got me sorted was seeking out a decent councellor.

I always thought I was mental very strong and stable, but it goes to show even the strongest can fall. Gary Speed had success, a beautiful family and the world seemingly at his feet, but still succumbed to depression in the most tragic of ways.

To GETCARTER
Although he's not cheap (£60 ph) may I recommend Gary Redmond to your relative? He lives and works in Cheltenham and helped me out no end. He is not your usual councellor, he just doesn't sit there and listen, but instead offers some real (and innovative) understanding as to what is going on in your head and thereby helping you to sort things out. Strangely, he's not that interested in what is going on in your head at the moment, but looks for the deep down and underlying roots of your problem. It only took 4 sessions to completely change my perspective on life. Amongst the best money I've spent (apart from the £500 for my Gibson Flying-V :) ).

"Be kind. You never know what’s going on behind someone’s smile" Very wise words Phil.
Last edited by Corner Flag on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll"
Corner Flag
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Corner Flag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Totally agree, I work with young people. Their mental health is often not taken seriously until real damage is done.

The aforementioned Mr Redond located the root of my problems to achildhood events. The damage is usually done very early on. I told him some of my issues and he then proceeded to almost perfectly describe my childhood, right down to having a sibling who was a year younger than me.
"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll"
Corner Flag
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

As someone who has relied on NHS mental health services in the past, I can fully vouch for the amazing work these people do in difficult circumstances.
One area of mental health support that has been horrendously neglected by this government is in schools. Where I was trying to get just some basic counselling I found there was just one part-time Councillor for two secondary schools and a 6th form, approx 2500 students in total. There was a 3-month waiting list. The situation just isnt good enough.
I was lucky that I was bumped up the list due to the severity of the issue and then I referred myself to the NHS services, and in Gloucestershire I found them to be pretty good (although this was in 2014 and they've been cut to hell since.)
Now living in Cornwall I hope I never have to turn back to them, because frankly the NHS is a bankrupt mess down here and I feel so sorry for those nurses, Councillors, therapists and Doctors who are doing nothing but their absolute best to make up for the abuse raining down on them from this government.
This is sadly a bit of a taboo subject in life in general, especially for men, and especially in sport. The biggest killer of men under 40 is still suicide. The bravest thing anyone can do is front up with the problems in their own head and try to get better rather than bottling it up. It took me too long to realise that and I 'm far from the only one. All I could say to anyone at FGR, or anyone full stop, is get the help you deserve. It's never going to be easy, but you shouldn't have to do it alone.
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Corner Flag wrote:During the last couple of years or so I was going through some tumultuos times and not feeling great mentally to say the least. Combined with working nightshifts it was (quite literally) a very dark time for me. Fluoxitine (from the doctor) helped a bit and my spirits were raised for quite a while somewhere around the middle of May for some reason! :D But the real thing that got me sorted was seeking out a decent councellor.

I always thought I was mental very strong and stable, but it goes to show even the strongest can fall. Gary Speed had success, a beautiful family and the world seemingly at his feet, but still succumbed to depression in the most tragic of ways.

To GETCARTER
Although he's not cheap (£60 ph) may I recommend Gary Redmond to your relative? He lives and works in Cheltenham and helped me out no end. He is not your usual councellor, he just doesn't sit there and listen, but instead offers some real (and innovative) understanding as to what is going on in your head and thereby helping you to sort things out. Strangely, he's not that interested in what is going on in your head at the moment, but looks for the deep down and underlying roots of your problem. It only took 4 sessions to completely change my perspective on life. Amongst the best money I've spent (apart from the £500 for my Gibson Flying-V :) ).

"Be kind. You never know what’s going on behind someone’s smile" Very wise words Phil.

I was unable to work for 4 years due to MDD. Found a combination of venlafaxine and CBT really, really helped me. I saw a psychiatrist which was of no help, tried mindfulness (ditto). Different things work for different people, but CBT taught my why I sometimes think the way I do and it helped me manage it.

Still trying to get off the venlafaxine - it is a very long and laborious task as I'm physically addicted to it.

Ultimately, it's down to finding the right thing for the right person. Too many men are too scared to talk about it and I find that very sad.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team