Checkatrade Trophy tonight

All about our First Team

Checkatrade Trophy tonight

Postby Lady Magpie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Nobody has mentioned the Checkatrade Trophy match tonight in our group - Newport County v Swansea City U21. 8.00 pm KO

With us leading the group will MC be going to watch, particularly as we play Newport on Saturday. I expect they will play some of their reserves.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Checkatrade Trophy tonight

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Full time:
Newport County 1-2 Swansea City U21

6 pts FGR & Swansea
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm

When's the draw for the next round? Not even sure I know what team I'd hope to draw.

Not a fan of the trophy but it seems to have served us well so far this season with some confidence boosting, morale lifting victories, so maybe I should lighten up a bit.
camel
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Does anyone know the rules of this competition? I presume we have to beat Swansea to progress to the next stage.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Does anyone know the rules of this competition? I presume we have to beat Swansea to progress to the next stage.

Swanseas win means we're already guaranteed to progress, it's now just whether that's as winners or runners up
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Does it become national now? As apposed to south west teams grouped together?
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stroud green » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Does it become national now? As apposed to south west teams grouped together?

Still regionalised. If we win the group we will be drawn at home in the next round, if we are runners up we will be drawn away. So best avoid defeat against Swansea City.
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Has a date been confirmed for the Swansea game?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi
The eight winners and eight runners up of the north and south group stages qualify for the round of 32. All other Clubs are eliminated from the Competition.

The round of 32 pairings are determined by means of a draw whereby the winner of a group will be drawn at home and will play a runner up of a group from the same region (but not from the same group).

Up to and including 2015-16 it remained regional until the final between the North winners and the South winners, but reading this years regs it seems to become national at the 16 team stage, which the same as last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%8 ... EFL_Trophy
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi
Silver Surfer wrote:Has a date been confirmed for the Swansea game?

31st Oct according to the Sky Sports fixture page.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 pm

well i was excited about this competition from the start anyway.

it seems a modicum of additional interest now being generated.

reach the last 16 and more supporters juices will start to flow i am sure-even some of the most cynical/anti .

its a good competition imo, and why would you not want to have a really good go at winning it ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 am

The income from this competition is significant - £20,000 for participation and £10,000 for each win so far. If we beat Swansea U21s we will have reaped £50,000, that's the sum you would have received for winning the F.A.Trophy last season.

The 2 regional pools for the final 32 should mean there will be decent travelling support, whether we are home or away. Portsmouth or Bristol Rovers would be tasty fixtures.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 am

michael wrote:well i was excited about this competition from the start anyway.

it seems a modicum of additional interest now being generated.

reach the last 16 and more supporters juices will start to flow i am sure-even some of the most cynical/anti .

its a good competition imo, and why would you not want to have a really good go at winning it ?

I agree with all of that and I hope we progress. I think we need to try to win every game so as to build confidence and momentum and yes the money is useful too no doubt
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team