Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:30 pm

The only push we need is one for Mark Cooper.

Pretty much every home game we have out-sung the away support and there has been a brilliant atmosphere.

The game had a dead atmosphere yesterday from us, as we are sick of watching utter rubbish, it starts to wear you down.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Norton Boy wrote:There are plans in place to put in some seating and a roof on that terrace later this season i believe and obviously a new stadium is planned too.Good comments though from a Newport fan and food for thought ref what we need to get a foothold in this league.

Wow, food for thought! Really??
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby rncfc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Norton Boy wrote:There are plans in place to put in some seating and a roof on that terrace later this season i believe and obviously a new stadium is planned too.Good comments though from a Newport fan and food for thought ref what we need to get a foothold in this league.

Don't take it the wrong way; I think you have a good thing on the go at your club. However, I'd be tempted to get home and away fans on one terrace, under one roof with a little line of stewards in the middle. It will make the atmosphere fantastic, and make every game feel really special for your fans who have waited so long to get here and might spur your boys on when the going gets tough.
rncfc
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Mothy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Was that forum talk about reviewing after 15 games or an MC/Other quote?
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:
Pretty much every home game we have out-sung the away support and there has been a brilliant atmosphere.

The game had a dead atmosphere yesterday from us, as we are sick of watching utter rubbish, it starts to wear you down.

Because they've got the ball. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 am

When the club starts banning those that make noise is it any wonder that the atmosphere is dead?
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 am

Mothy wrote:Was that forum talk about reviewing after 15 games or an MC/Other quote?

I MC said he'd look at the table after 15 matches because it's when it has started to settle. Should have looked at it after two matches!
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:54 pm

camel wrote:Our players are better than our performances. The problem is the blame game and chopping and changing alongside poor tactics and formations.

Get rid of zonal marking

I don't think our players are particularly good overall for L2, but I do think they are better than we are seeing and also good enough to stay up. Just about.

I believe, as highlighted above, that much of the problem in securing results is down to chopping and changing both formations and players, which is a recipe for disaster IMHO with so many new signings made who don't yet know how to play together.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
camel wrote:Our players are better than our performances. The problem is the blame game and chopping and changing alongside poor tactics and formations.

Get rid of zonal marking

I don't think our players are particularly good overall for L2, but I do think they are better than we are seeing and also good enough to stay up. Just about.

I believe, as highlighted above, that much of the problem in securing results is down to chopping and changing both formations and players, which is a recipe for disaster IMHO with so many new signings made who don't yet know how to play together.

Completely agree, but it was the same for almost all of last season, no regular forward pairing , players in & out, varied CBs and defenders. I can only conclude its MCs style. At least he kept one GK in almost (Or all) the way.

Given the end result last season I am not quite as concerned as some, but its totally maddening along the way.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Reading this thread it seems a bit like the weather in England.

Must be depressing back home but fortunately I am in Corfu, where the weather is gorgeous, the food edible and top quality drink flows.

You all have time to join me before Tuesday. It is the end of the summer here for main tourism but those who have made the effort are getting tremendous value for their Euro. Seems you as fans don't think so when it comes to the Pound in your pocket?

Just next to the airport here in Kerkyra is their football stadium where apparently bugger all happens too.

Another round barman!!

Seriously it will change. Surely??
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby stroud green » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 pm

I agree with a lot of what rncfc says. I do wonder if we are big and powerful enough. Our centre backs are on the short side (without Monthe), our midfield has little height (though Osbourne is a good addition) and Mullings is not playing. Bugeil and Doidge are strong for their size but, all over the pitch, we are rarely able to out-muscle.

Of course adding muscle may mean reducing the quality of the football. I wouldn’t welcome that but maybe getting that ‘foothold’ first has to be a priority. Not sure if anything can be done til January anyway.

There’s still time.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Tommo wrote:I agree with a lot of what rncfc says. I do wonder if we are big and powerful enough. Our centre backs are on the short side (without Monthe), our midfield has little height (though Osbourne is a good addition) and Mullings is not playing. Bugeil and Doidge are strong for their size but, all over the pitch, we are rarely able to out-muscle.

Of course adding muscle may mean reducing the quality of the football. I wouldn’t welcome that but maybe getting that ‘foothold’ first has to be a priority. Not sure if anything can be done til January anyway.

There’s still time.

What is 'quality' about the football being played at present? Checked the league table of late?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby RyRover » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 am

From what I've seen albeit only 3 games so far, we appear to have no aerial presence on set pieces. This might be why we're not seeing regular crossing service to Doige and the likes because there is simply no threat or domination of height. It's like we get a corner and our heads drop!

Wrong system, wrong tactics, wrong personnel to compete at this level sufficiently

Prove me wrong
...Because we know Tranmere will come back but it's WOOLERY AT THE OTHER ENNNNNDDDD......GOAL 3-1 to Forest Green
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm

RyRover wrote:From what I've seen albeit only 3 games so far, we appear to have no aerial presence on set pieces. This might be why we're not seeing regular crossing service to Doige and the likes because there is simply no threat or domination of height. It's like we get a corner and our heads drop!

Wrong system, wrong tactics, wrong personnel to compete at this level sufficiently

Prove me wrong

I always think we look more likely to score from set pieces than open play. League Two is about speed, height and strength. We don't have much of any of these.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team