Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

Postby Welsh Exile » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:32 pm

There is no point speculating about the manager's position, he is there to see out his 5 year contract.

What we should be entitled to talk about is the quality of players he has brought to the club this season. He must realise and surely Dale too must realise they are actually not up to the league 2 standard. We do not have to be qualified managers to see that.

When you see the likes of David Pipe at the heart of the Newport team, leading by example, having a great season with Newport who are flyng high and yet he could not get into the FGR team when they were a division below. If he was here now he could be that leader on the pitch the team are so so so lacking. The manager did not want him, so replaced him with poorer quality, supporters are entitled to question that sort of decision.
Welsh Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Newport boss backs MC to guide Rovers out of the drop zone.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... _the_drop/
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm

To keep saying that individual players made mistakes just deflects from what is going on. I thought this was a team, not a collection of individuals. Week after week we hear how it's all about individual player's mistakes.

It's all over the shop. The problems in defence are often down to the lack of man-marking. In this league zonal marking does not work. The problem in midfield is that they refuse to put the ball in the box and kick it around midfield until they lose possession, which is all to often, and the problem at the front is the lack of service, because we have too many midfielders having a kick about and the lone striker is isolated.

When we weren't kicking around on midfield, we were just lumping it forward to the other side.

Some of the players we have look like children compared to league 2 teams.

DV got rid of AP because he didn't think he know how to move the team forward. Does that mean that he thinks MC knows how to turn this around?

The MC I saw yesterday sat down and looked like he'd given up.

BTW, it was nice to see the team applaud the fans at the start after the warm up. The South Stand were vocal at the start too, right up to when Newport walked all over us.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Agree with everything you said mate, apart from about the Southstand, no atmosphere at all, from start to finish from where I was sitting.

In fact the west terrace was louder. I'm not blaming our fans, just describing our pathetic day of football.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Must admit if i remember right. The goals or some of them did not look like individual error (in the sense mc seems to be implying) but more defensive organisation. Assuming we are doing zonal marking then just change. Simple ;-). As others are saying ive also been screaming for weeks to cross into the box one pass sooner!! It happened last for mins of first half and wow it made a bit more happen.

Mc needs to stop this individual error stuff its more fundamental as the string of results show. The squad may not be great but its better than the results we are getting.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 pm

So the players can’t hide from their so called individual mistakes and they lack mental strength. What a great motivator and builder of team confidence.
Nothing to do with me guv, move along please.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Earl wrote:So the players can’t hide from their so called individual mistakes and they lack mental strength. What a great motivator and builder of team confidence.
Nothing to do with me guv, move along please.

Cooper needs to leave now!

We all know that Dale Vince will say and do nothing though, whilst we have to try and support this shower of rubbish!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:19 pm

We aren't scoring many goals this season, Kieffer Moore was deemed by Mr Cooper as not being good enough to get into his team, he has just scored his tenth goal of the season in a team one division above ours!! Just adds to the argument, can he recognise a good player when he sees him, looking at this seasons recruits, in most cases no!!
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:45 pm

You could hear the Newport fans singing

Sacked in the morning

What the hell gave them reason to think that ??
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Exactly, everybody knows Cooper would not be sacked this Morning, or any Morning??
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:53 pm

There were plenty of similar shouts around me in the East Stand too ......................... and plenty of cheering when Cooper junior went off having an adolescent strop !!
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Philpot wrote:You could hear the Newport fans singing

Sacked in the morning

What the hell gave them reason to think that ??

What made them think he would last the night
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:10 pm

I see from the main FGR site that Iacovitti says that " Things will turn "

That'll be the milk then :lol:
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see Iacovitti & Fitzwater start as centre back pairing at Coventry with Collins back in goal for Sam. That'll teach our experienced defenders for costing us 4 goals yesterday ....... :shock: :shock: ;)
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:31 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see Iacovitti & Fitzwater start as centre back pairing at Coventry with Collins back in goal for Sam. That'll teach our experienced defenders for costing us 4 goals yesterday ....... :shock: :shock: ;)

Cooper is that clueless, I genuinely think he could do this!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby doggy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Pass , move, tackle, the three major things that make football, oh and probably the fourth should be, shoot on target! Pretty simple really, just we ain’t got anyone capable or willing to do it, I do feel sorry for some players , DB tries his hardest every second, KMB tried his patience and CD has tried not to get too lonely up front on his own!! We look totally shafted yesterday, let’s be totally honest..majority of players arent anywhere near good enough which means nor is manager , they are his players at end of day, please go MC and salvage what little respect you may have left.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Although I respect the opinion of other fans about the quality of our players for league 2 I have never agreed with them. I could easily imagine these players playing for other teams in league 2.

I didn't see individual fault yesterday. I saw lack of team spirit and communication and team tactics that meant that doidge, cooper and traore may as well have had the day off, they where played out of the game by Newport. I don't think that's their fault individually, but I don't know why did their orders did not change?!?

I was so envious watching the Newport team defend, it was sickening. in addition to that their number 10 should have got man of the match.

For me, the more I think about this season, the more i think its about tactics, and instruction. No other blame.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:04 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
BTW, it was nice to see the team applaud the fans at the start after the warm up. The South Stand were vocal at the start too, right up to when Newport walked all over us.

I agree with this.

Whoever thought of swapping the half of the pitch that we warm up in, then having the players run off the pitch together whilst applauding the fans should take a bow, very good idea...building on us being in it together, the same with the management team clapping as they walked across the pitch to the dugout before kick-off.

Unfortunately things didn't go quite as well once the football started...but hey, small steps!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Although I respect the opinion of other fans about the quality of our players for league 2 I have never agreed with them. I could easily imagine these players playing for other teams in league 2.

I didn't see individual fault yesterday. I saw lack of team spirit and communication and team tactics that meant that doidge, cooper and traore may as well have had the day off, they where played out of the game by Newport. I don't think that's their fault individually, but I don't know why did their orders did not change?!?

I was so envious watching the Newport team defend, it was sickening. in addition to that their number 10 should have got man of the match.

For me, the more I think about this season, the more i think its about tactics, and instruction. No other blame.

Difficult to disagree with this.

Trying to work out if individually players are not good enough. Which ones are not? As was said before don't think many (if any) fans nor the management team thought they were not before the season started. I definitely didn't at HT against Barnet!!
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Our players are better than our performances. The problem is the blame game and chopping and changing alongside poor tactics and formations.

Get rid of zonal marking: it's been awful for weeks. Start getting the ball in the box. If I go by a combination of what I have seen and what fans I know and trust from new players clubs have told me based on last season we could do a lot worse than:

Russell

Bennett
Collins
Monthe or Roberts
Laird

KMB
Osbourne
Traore
Wishart

Bugiel
Doidge

Recall Murphy as well and get him off the bench for now.

Honestly, all is not lost, our players are worth more than 6pts. It's whether the managers able to make them believe and change the tactics to get the best out of them. I wouldn't subscribe to having to wait until January to improve, we are wasting points if we do that. Either the manager needs to make the right changes, or the manager needs to be changed. How long can we afford to stick with our current form?
camel
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team