Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Newport County)

Postby Foggy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Agree with the comment above about zonal marking...the first goal yesterday showed us the benefit of marking space, it allows opponents to do pretty much what they want unless you are really good at it, unmarked header into the box and an easy header for the scorer...at least if you are marking a player it makes their job a little more difficult, unless you are rubbish at it, and restricts their ability to do you damage.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby biggazza » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:50 pm

But as Mr Teflon Cooper would say it is down to individual error nothing to do with the system he asks them to operate.
biggazza
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:54 pm

garyjj wrote:
We play zonal marking which means you don't mark your man... Who's idea is that's and how many goals has it cost us. This man still won't change it though.

Re the above and to add more weight to his experimentation following his doctrine of playing it from the back, the general view from the Artisans of football tactics ...

"Zonal marking is usually employed by top flight managers where they ask the midfielders and attackers to defend their allocated zone on the pitch when the opposing team counters and tries to break them down." Perhaps M/C is in training for induction into this elite club and perhaps he has the right idea, but the wrong player in the right zone.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Zonal marking v man marking = very difficult to distinguish between for lower teams like us. Zonal means you have to use vision to check players coming in to your zone or departing, difficult with opposition player mobility, and responsibility and who is yours, whereas man-marking is easier to take responsibility because you have already identified who you mark throughout the match.You are in charge - but you have to dominate. Man-marking always argues that the player marking is not ball-watching. I was watching John Terry the other day, and he was perfect in man-marking.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Zone making only works when you have the best players
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:13 pm

And again, in our case perhaps the mid/front men are too busy keeping an eye on their allocated zonal area instead of pressing on with the job to which they are accustomed.

Anyway, it all seems more like a chess board to me. :?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:31 pm

I wonder how much time do they waste in training on zonal marking?
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Seat C32 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Obviously not enough!!
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Playing Statues
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Let's see what Tuesday brings.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Timb wrote:Let's see what Tuesday brings.

I got a good idea what it will bring but let's hope for the best
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Timb wrote:Let's see what Tuesday brings.

Down to the the last 5 in bake off.
Probably more entertaining.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby rncfc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi guys, Newport fan here.

You must already be the 4th or 5th team to bemoan their sides defending of set pieces against us this season. We scored two headers against Yeovil last week. Harry Kewell had a good old moan after we scored two set pieces against Crawley and there have been others too.

Our manager tells us that we work on them - A LOT.

In the 4 years we've been up here I'm starting to realise that the margins between success and failure are very slim. We had a lovely footballing side when Terry Butcher was our manager - we spread it around lovely and got tonked on the break by big sides week in, week out. Warren Feeney put together a similar side and we valiantly lost 2-1 every week.

In this league you need to do the basics very well. We have a side full of big boys who can handle themselves (1 or 2 of them can play a bit as well), and that's basically what will win you the right to play. Some of the lads on our bench are technically superior to the boys who are starting, but until you get a foothold in the game these players are effectively useless.

You evidently have some decent footballers in your ranks, and if your Chairman's pockets are as deep as we keep hearing hopefully he'll go out and buy you a few proven League Two "bully boys" in January. Because every League 2 side has them, and you need them so that your footballers can play.

I'm sure that in time you'll figure this out and that there will be 2 sides worse than you this season. Chesterfield for one were pretty abysmal.
rncfc
Trainee
Trainee

Postby rncfc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Would also like to add, as a visiting supporter, that the facilities for away fans were very poor and I seriously doubt I'd bother coming back. Will try to be constructive with this;

1) I do appreciate that you have to look after your own first, but would it be out of the question to give away fans at least a proportion of the covered terrace? At least that way younger away fans would stand a chance of being able to see the game. I brought my seven year old to the match yesterday and whilst he was obviously pleased with the result he had to watch the goals on Sky Sports when we got home. The view on that open terrace is appalling for anyone shorter than 5 and a half foot.

2) I get and applaud the whole sustainable future thing (I've got my own solar panels and hydro investments, etc), but to sustain a football club's future you need to maximise revenue and selling vegetable samosas to Newport County fans is like selling bible's to ISIS. I wouldn't imagine we are alone. Give us some proper food for crying out loud. Jeez, stock 100 burgers and charge a tenner each for them (VAT - veggie added tax).

3) Nice little marquee out the back, but a few chairs might be an idea. You could even weave them out of hay if you like, I don't think many would be bothered, but some kids and OAPs do like a sit down before the game - especially when the only bar within walking distance (the Green Man is it?) kicks out home fans before kick off for wearing Newport shirts.

On the flip side, everyone I met was really friendly (including stewards) and obviously it will take time to get the setup sorted.
rncfc
Trainee
Trainee

Postby stanman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 pm

rncfc - thanks for your contribution.
I think you make some very valid points about succeeding in League 2, at least about us staying in The League - especially in your first contribution.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Wise words from Newport fan. This season will be about avoiding relegation. Without having to post twice I'm sure Electric Chair will have a plan. Whether that is moving forward with MC or without him the vision is way too important to go back to Conference football. DV, OBE is too wise to allow that slippage.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm

I agree, think home fans should have north stand and away south stand. Open terrace half each would be good.

Also think their should be more variety of ales in green man. We should stay at TNL for at least 2 more seasons hopefully cementing fgr in lg2. Got to focus on football not business.

Maybe Manny deserves a recall, defo getting bullied at the mo.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 pm

And yes I think Camels team is spot on. It would be my choice as well.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby rncfc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:I agree, think home fans should have north stand and away south stand. Open terrace half each would be good.

Also think their should be more variety of ales in green man. We should stay at TNL for at least 2 more seasons hopefully cementing fgr in lg2. Got to focus on football not business.

Maybe Manny deserves a recall, defo getting bullied at the mo.

Not sure why you don't split the one covered terrace in half for home/away.

You've worked this hard to get to the FL, at least let the fans enjoy a FL atmosphere. Having a few hundred rowdy away fans will spur your own fans on to make more noise themselves. It feels as though the current arrangement is aimed at suppressing away fans, but maybe the home players are in need of that energy (be it from home or away fans) to give them a push.
rncfc
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Norton Boy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 pm

There are plans in place to put in some seating and a roof on that terrace later this season i believe and obviously a new stadium is planned too.Good comments though from a Newport fan and food for thought ref what we need to get a foothold in this league.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team