Have patience

All about our First Team

Have patience

Postby maxgriggs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:43 am

Hi - Cheltenham fan in peace

As a Robins fan I have seen quite a few new clubs come and go, from Maidstone, Wycombe, Kiddy , Yeovil, Rushden to Fleetwood. My message to you guys is not to panic, we know from our experience last season that jumping from the NL to L2 is not easy, I think the gap has widened over the last few seasons. It is important that the way the club is run on and off the pitch is in tune to the Football League. It can take years - some would say we (Cheltenham) still have a way to go, just throwing money at it (a la Max Griggs) is not enough, the infrastructure needs to be put in place for the eventuality that the main income source disappears.

I sincerely hope you can turn it around, the changes to the transfer window certainly dont help, but hope you survive and Gloucestershire can be proud to have two clubs in the Football League.
maxgriggs
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Have patience

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks Max, much appreciated.
I go along with what you have written - well I would, wouldn't I with FGR in their precarious position.
In other posts I have said that the future fixtures look a bit kinder to us than what he have already played.
I'm sure it will come good before too long.
BTW Cheltenham are having one of their better seasons of late [apart from season in Conference].
Look forward to meeting your club in November. Should be a sell out crowd.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby maxgriggs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi OTC

It is always difficult to gauge form early season, look at Man U - they havent played any big names yet, Liverpool was their first real test.
maxgriggs
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks Max Griggs. Good advice and I support your last paragraph very much
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Must... Bury... Head... In... Sand...
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks Max.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:10 am

nice post-and agree wholeheartedly.

the problem for me is that the side assembled is just so poor, that their is insufficient recovery time.

I thought FGR would be 12 points adrift by the new year.
unfortunately, i now believe that gap will be at least 15 .

its ok trying to feel better by stating 'weaker' tems coming along over next fixtures-but in my experience-those 'weaker teams' fight even harder,and you amiss points by a mixture of doing ok in all types of fixtures 'strengths.

never felt like this before-simply realistic.

summer recruitment (in hindsight ) so poor-but it was obvious after 3 games (lucky to beat yeovil-realistically-that should have been a loss as well) that strengthening required-and it got worse-not better in august !
stupendous failure.

(and ridiculously-i still want cooper to stay-no point 'punishing him'.
may as well let him try anddo better out of what he has sewn,and trust him to recover his career, by doing alot better in january window-no-one could do worse.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jole » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:23 pm

great advice and thank you on that
Jole
Trainee
Trainee

Postby maxgriggs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:09 am

2 wins on the bounce - i hope you continue to progress. At the end of the day whatever it was that you were doing right to gain promotion should keep you in good stead this year.
maxgriggs
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Must... Bury... Head... In... Sand...

Of course, if we lose on Saturday then it will be all doom and gloom again. But what a difference s week can make!

Survival in League 2 is still the basic target (though I continue to hope for mid-table) and three points on Saturday would help everyone believe that there is no need to bury anything in sand.

i think there is some healthy realism on the forum though that the season is still quite young and things could go either way for us. By the time of the next transfer window - when all teams will look to strengthen - we should have a pretty good idea.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team