'Games come thick and fast '

All about our First Team

'Games come thick and fast '

Postby michael » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm

forgive me for venting one of my most personal dislikes (and football managers cliches/excuses )

how often after a defeat does a manager /players say :

so great we have another game on tuesday/so quick ,as' we can put this defeat behind us and put it right '

guess what- more often than not lose on the tuesday as well ,so in effect lose 6 points in three days-and another game gone which you can't recover the points

i can never understand the logic of such statements.

surely if you are beaten on the saturday (and those cliche lessons learned which they never are ) you want as much time as possible to work on the errors and put it right-the longer you learn-surely the better it will be ?

does it not make a lot more sense to ideally have the biggest gap after a loss,to properly put it behind you and work on your poor performances.

If you really are a rubbish team (mentioning no names of course )surely the longer you have got between games the better.

whats going to happen tonight-same team/nearly same team/same result.
another game gone.

appreciating that there is no choice in the fixture planning,whats the point of saying we want another game soon.

in the case of fgr-surely-the ideal scenario would be to play no games whatsoever between now and january-and just hope that in january, whoever is manager-perhaps mr cooper- can assemble a team of players who may just be good enough to get a few points.

until then-i can see nothing apart from defeat after defeat, with the occasional draw-and the eternal optimists saying that was a good performance,and we have turned the corner for the eigth time.

fortunately-i like the national league anyway, but just seems such a waste of effort having come so far.

but coming back to main theme-what is the logic of playing so quickly after a loss.

(notwithstanding that in the EFL-games don't come that thick and fast-fewer games than the national and bostik league sides who are often part time players.
EFL is a doddle really-which is why it seems an even bigger waste having 'made it to 'lose it '
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: 'Games come thick and fast '

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Being this close together will mean that we've had just one day's practice on our zonal marking, kicking it around midfield and giving the ball away.

I imagine that the practice would consist of our squad playing against each other, so we're going to look really good aren't we?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:57 pm

I think we sort of agree then VDM

that given-its not as though Mr cooper has had since June to do a bit of practice, so i suppose in the scale of things, whether its one or four days in midweek does not make any difference.

( i am trying to recall footiemans excellent analogy relating performance to the tools you carry in the toolbox ).

still-no doubt performances are ever improving-/the odd blip to be expected-that happens to all teams.

Maybe other teams are not standing still either-and also do a bit of this training thing and get better, so overall,there is no effect.

FGR can perform brilliantly over the next few weeks (and thats all Mr Cooper demands-but if other teams are even more brilliant-the result is the same-no or minimal points.

it seems many supporters-and the manager will be content with those good performances we can anticipate -fine.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Add the other favourite saying

"we deserved to win" which means absolutely nothing either.

Still, at least we look pretty as we kick the ball about, just before we give the ball away and the other side score.

I'd hate to be playing ugly football, what with all that winning and stuff.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm

michael wrote:forgive me for venting one of my most personal dislikes (and football managers cliches/excuses )

how often after a defeat does a manager /players say :

so great we have another game on tuesday/so quick ,as' we can put this defeat behind us and put it right '

guess what- more often than not lose on the tuesday as well ,so in effect lose 6 points in three days-and another game gone which you can't recover the points

i can never understand the logic of such statements.

... but coming back to main theme-what is the logic of playing so quickly after a loss.

Ah, yes Michael, that great advance called logic.

Joseph Wood Krutch:

"Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence". ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:Still, at least we look pretty as we kick the ball about, just before we give the ball away and the other side score.

I'd hate to be playing ugly football, what with all that winning and stuff.

Possession football is a completely legitimate and often very effective way of playing, but it obviously needs to be done well, and it also shouldn't mean that the basics get neglected. There is no reason why footballing sides can't press oppposition as a unit, close people down, stop crosses and defend crosses and set pieces when they come into the box. The two aren't mutually exclusive, you don't have to play hoofball to defend well.

Our biggest problem, other then defending, is the lack of movement off the ball. If players aren't constantly moving around and making themselves available then it all breaks down, or leads to turgid sideways passing. Rather then giving up on it, what we should be doing is getting better at it. We certainly wont do any better trying to win ugly.

The attitude that winning ugly is a good thing is what has held english football back at international level, and is why for so many years english players have lacked technical profiency when up against their foreign counterparts, especially eiite nations. The focus on that in youth academies has at least shifted over the last few years, but it seems attitudes of fans hasn't.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

michael wrote:EFL is a doddle really

So's crucifixion...

Tim
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Tim13 wrote:

So's crucifixion...

Tim

Down through there, third cross on the right!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Tim13 wrote:

So's crucifixion...

Tim

Down through there, third cross on the right!

There's no way you'll get three crosses out of us in the same game.
The Jovial Forester
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

But we won the second game :D :D
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am

Well, whatever they did, it must have worked.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team