Money Ball system

All about our First Team

Money Ball system

Postby doggy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Does anyone know whether we still use this method when looking at players? I am not too familiar with it, but I believe its based on players stats? Would be interested to know what people think about this versus the old style of using scouts/actually seeing players in flesh?
I personally feel the old style must be more positive as stats can be deceiving if not used correctly, I assume there is a computer program that takes everything into context and alleviates such things as minutes played or how many minutes played per game?
As stated I prefer the old fashioned way of scouting, have we got one?
Have we anyone who attends our up and coming opponents as well?
Answers appreciated.
doggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Money Ball system

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:59 pm

To Err is Human; To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer doggy. :D Go with the scouting
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 pm

From my understanding of the moneyball system, its really not the case that scouting is forgotten about. More so that alongside scout reports statistics are used to factor into a final decision.
For example, you're a scout watching a young winger play a few leagues below. He's bright and quick and has a bit of something about him. However, the odd moment of skills sticks in the mind more than the failures, where he maybe should have played the simple ball inside or back. Maybe he looked great because he was up against a pretty poor full back that day. If the statistics say that his pass completion rates, crossing percentages and how often he gives the ball away are all issues, then it provides context to the scouts opinion.
It also works vice versa, the passing stats of a central midfielder might look amazing, but when the scout watches him all the passes are slow, backward or sideways balls and the player doesn't offer anything more than keeping possession tick over.
Statistics are blind without context, just as opinions can be very flawed without a bit of statistical validation.
dursleydog
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm

dursleydog wrote:Statistics are blind without context, just as opinions can be very flawed without a bit of statistical validation.

So true, though some of players' qualities - character, leadership,all round application etc. - are aspects of a player's value that can't be analysed statistically.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby doggy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:28 am

Could SNJ Ash ask the club if they are willing to comment....plz!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Return to FGR First Team