Curb the abuse

All about our First Team

Curb the abuse

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 pm

At the last couple of home games I’ve been disappointed with some of the abuse thrown around from the stands in block E of the east stand.

Calling a player a p**fter or fa**ot for rolling around on the floor after a tackle is still homophobic, and not something I really want to have to explain to my 9 year old daughter.

Had the chants come from near me then I might have considered challenging them, but they came from several rows behind. I’m only a couple of rows from the pitch so presumably stewards could also hear this.

I know they’re not the strongest examples of homophobia but they are nonetheless offensive and should be stamped out in 2017.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 pm

From what ive seen in the East stand, the stewards are more interested in spotting people taking drinks from the bar onto the terraces, rather than anything else. Maybe a short note to DV might do some good.
GETCARTER
Reserves
Reserves

Postby richmond » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

I don't think it matters how strong a statement may be, it's the fact that anyone can think it is acceptable.

Perhaps we should confront our fellow supporters if this happens. Take responsibility for us as a group.
Richmond
richmond
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm

With rubbish like that being shouted is it any wonder that there are no openly gay male footballers in the professional game, that stuff belongs in the past and should remain there. I would urge anyone who hears comments like that, or of a racist nature, to report the matter whether or not you challenge them directly. Hand the individual over to the police, as they have committed an offence, then ban them from the ground for life. I agree with the sentiments above, this is not a grey area, no room for it in our club or anywhere.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 pm

I find proper homophobic abuse deplorable.

However I think some people on here are being rather strong and reactionary!!

Ban them for life! Really?? Hand them to the police! For saying get up you p..f.

I would certainly challenge their ignorance for saying something stupid and dated, but banning them for life for an off the cuff comment, which they probably made no offence at all to homosexuals come on.

It is typical of the politically correct and witch hunt world.
Last edited by FGR-Ledge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 pm

This exact same theme was covered in depth on the Cheltenham forum after the CT game against FGR.
What started it was a supporter calling one of his players a poofter for wearing gloves.
The thread got very passionate with all sorts or opinions.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:I find proper homophobic abuse deplorable.

However I think some people on here are being rather strong and reactionary!!

Ban them for life! Really?? Hand them to the police! For saying get up you p..f.

I would certainly challenge their ignorance for saying something stupid and dated, but banning them for life for an off the cuff comment, which they probably made no offence at all to homosexuals come on.

It is typical of the politically correct and witch hunt world.

You'll find there are many gay and bi people who do find the terms in question to be offensive. They are part of the population that are in a minority and the 'p' and 'f' words are a throwback to the bad old days where tabloids would frequently expose gays and bis and call them such names. They are the words of intolerance and oppression.

You say it isn't proper homophobia. It is. By your reasoning, it's not proper racist abuse to call a black person an 'n', or an Asian person a 'c' or a 'p'. Why not call a player struggling to get up or wearing gloves one of those? But you wouldn't. Because, most likely, you may get a slap at the very least. Yet it's okay with bis and gays, yes?

Foggy, from my experience, the police do very little when it comes to homophobia.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 am

I'm surprised :shock:

I didn't know e block did chanting, let alone chanting that sort of poison.

Glad you mentioned it here, gives me chance to prepare to confront them if I hear it at the ground.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Philpot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm

What about when Liam Noble comes back to TNL.

What would be an appropriate chant
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Scum!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hang on a minute, this is a thread about how we tackle homophobic abuse at the club, which most people who have expressed a view seem to want stopped. It has nothing to do with how a former player is greeted when he returns to the club, he has a thread of his own already, surely that is better discussed in that place and not this one.
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I find this all rather bizarre :oops:

Surely we should be concentrating on what caused the chant in the first place?

No pathetic rolling around, diving, trying to get opponents sent off- no cheating no chant. Its pretty simple.

Another job for our useless FA to deal with. Ban players doing it for several months and it wouldn't keep happening. Apart from anything else it robs the fans of time watching football which they have paid for .
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Charlie5football » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:26 pm

To be honest I have been amazed at the amount of the abuse thrown at our own players at the last home game and I was in the North Stand the abuse aimed at CC was disgusting and I did say something. One of the issues is these are not young people more elderly gentleman if you can call them that and definatley not a good example to set ,even my 11 year old grandson questioning why someone would do that. Abuse of any kind is wrong we make this out to be the friendly club on the hill and after many years of watching FGR I have to say the attitude of some of our more senior supporters is down right disgusting.
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am

Theoperator wrote:I find this all rather bizarre :oops:

No pathetic rolling around, diving, trying to get opponents sent off- no cheating no chant. Its pretty simple.

Another job for our useless FA to deal with. Ban players doing it for several months and it wouldn't keep happening. Apart from anything else it robs the fans of time watching football which they have paid for .

Don't be embarrassed, people are gay, get over it. No one cares that the fans had a go at the players, good on them. You are maybe right about the fa getting involved and stopping the type of football. BUT what alot of people are saying is that if you use language like that in 2017 at our club, the word association you are using, means you are also talking about our gay supporters and our gay friends, family, colleagues, neighbours, children, parents. I don't think we need to ban these ignorant fans, but I will remind them if I hear it, and I won't be the only one.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am

Good god I've never read anything so pathetic in my life.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 am

Phil_mitchell wrote:Good god I've never read anything so pathetic in my life.

Get over it.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 am

Tomiswalking wrote:

Get over it.

I think its you lot that need to get over it. If your that precious that you get offended by someone shouting out faggot or poof then deary me. It's a big scary world out there
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am

Sorry, dude, but people can't help their sexual orientation. It isn't fair to throw insults that paint it as negative. It's the same with race...

Nobody has any say over the race or sexual orientation to which they were born. So why use them as insults?
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:28 am

Theoperator wrote:I find this all rather bizarre :oops:

I'm not too sure that I understand the logic here, it seems to be a wish to address the target of the abuse rather than the perpetrator.

By employing the same process - if someone who is totally out of their skull on drink and drugs, gets behind the wheel of their car and mows down a queue of people stood at the bus stop then it is their fault for being there, rather than the actions of the driver. There will undoubtedly be people at our games who have views best consigned to the past, we are after all a reflection of society as a whole, all is required is for them to form some sort of union between their brain and mouth and not feel compelled to spout forth such bile. If they can't do that, then challenge them and deal with them in an appropriate manner.

Like it or not we all represent our club and judging by what was said at the top of the thread there is a fair chance that the comments will have been heard by those sat on the away bench, is that the sort of memory we would want them to take away from their visit to our home, it isn't the type I would want anyone to have.
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 am

Phil_mitchell wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:

Get over it.

I think its you lot that need to get over it. If your that precious that you get offended by someone shouting out faggot or poof then deary me. It's a big scary world out there

I'm fine mate, I'm not upset. Having a great day. Just saying im not going to stand for that pathetic language that's all. Don't be scared of the world.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Next

Return to FGR First Team