Curb the abuse

All about our First Team

Re: Curb the abuse

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Can we lock this thread now please.

Full of tedious rubbish, that is getting increasingly tetchy!

It is an argument that is not really suited for a football forum, as it just goes round and round with strong views both sides that will not be changed on this format!

It's also a really negative thread, when we should be enjoying the team's up turn in firm and good atmosphere.

Anyone would think we were Millwall the way some sanctimonious people on here are going on and on.

We have one of the most child friendly crowds around in my opinion. Homophobic abuse?? Absolute rubbish, I have never heard anything of the sort up the Green.

Just because you’ve never heard it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I want that child-friendly atmosphere to continue, which it won’t if these views go unchallenged. I suggest you re-read my original post. Not sanctimonious in any way, but not something that should just be swept under the carpet because you find it embarrassing or unpalatable.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 pm

I honestly can say I'm proud to be in a club with all of you. Im proud of where I live too. You only had to go out last night for Halloween to see how friendly and accepting and open this place is. Forest green!!
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:42 pm

You have said your point. More than once, it's getting tedious and very boring.

I get it, I really do. You don't like people saying get up F..g.t.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:I honestly can say I'm proud to be in a club with all of you. Im proud of where I live too. You only had to go out last night for Halloween to see how friendly and accepting and open this place is. Forest green!!

Good post.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:You have said your point. More than once, it's getting tedious and very boring.

Come on don't be such a ***** :lol:
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:You have said your point. More than once, it's getting tedious and very boring.

Sorry to bore you FGR-Ledge. Just responding to comments as they arise and pique my interest. That’s how it works you see. It’s a forum. Not sure if you’re familiar with the format of a discussion.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:50 pm

TreeHugger wrote:

Sorry to bore you FGR-Ledge. Just responding to comments as they arise and pique my interest. That’s how it works you see. It’s a forum. Not sure if you’re familiar with the format of a discussion.

Not sure you are familiar with football fans. Proper working class football fans. We can have banter without being called racist or homophobic. God help you if you went to a proper football club. FGR is tame just as well as it seems you live a very sheltered life.

Your boring me
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:

Come on don't be such a **** :lol:

Oooohhh how very dare you!!! :lol:
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 pm

I really hope the club don’t endorse your homophobic views Phil_mitchell

Very very sad from a so called supporter of this great club.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I really hope the club don’t endorse your homophobic views Phil_mitchell

Mike is not homophobic in any shape or form!!

You really don't get it, stop embarrassing yourself.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

TreeHugger wrote:I really hope the club don’t endorse your homophobic views Phil_mitchell

You sad sad person
Homophobic views? :roll: :lol:
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:

That’s the whole point FGR_Ledge. He may not think he is, and you may not think he is, but by using these derogatory terms you normalise and endorse homophobia. It makes others think that it’s acceptable to use the fact of someone being gay as an insult. Don’t you get that?!
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby Lady Magpie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 pm

OK, lets all calm down and agree to disagree.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:OK, lets all calm down and agree to disagree.

Amen!!!!!!
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Relax, language changes. Ofcom don't count poof, lezza or queer as offensive words anymore. Just like people use gay as a term for lame or rubbish. It's all about the context you use them in. Genuine abuse is something completely different.

At the end of the day we're all FGR fans. No need for pointless arguments. Atmosphere in the South Stand was great Saturday.

Anyway I agree the points been made enough now.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
FGR-Ledge wrote:

That’s the whole point FGR_Ledge. He may not think he is, and you may not think he is, but by using these derogatory terms you normalise and endorse homophobia. It makes others think that it’s acceptable to use the fact of someone being gay as an insult. Don’t you get that?!

Seriously what world do you live in?
Any idea what the real world is like?
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm

I haven't seen a single homophobic view expressed in this thread.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Relax, language changes. Ofcom don't count poof, lezza or queer as offensive words anymore. Just like people use gay as a term for lame or rubbish. It's all about the context you use them in. Genuine abuse is something completely different.

At the end of the day we're all FGR fans. No need for pointless arguments. Atmosphere in the South Stand was great Saturday.

Anyway I agree the points been made enough now.

Ver well said KS.
FGR-Ledge
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SoSlow » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm

I can’t believe anyone in this day and age is actually defending the use of poof etc as an insult. Imagine if you had a child that identified as gay and all they heard was terms used to describe gay people being used as insults. It is damaging no matter how the words were intended to be taken by the person using them. I work with young people and see the impact this actually has. If i ever hear this being used I will challenge and report the people concerned.
SoSlow
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Greeners » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi
SoSlow wrote:I can’t believe anyone in this day and age is actually defending the use of poof etc as an insult. Imagine if you had a child that identified as gay and all they heard was terms used to describe gay people being used as insults. It is damaging no matter how the words were intended to be taken by the person using them. I work with young people and see the impact this actually has. If i ever hear this being used I will challenge and report the people concerned.

Another important aspect is that words on the page CAN'T be interpreted exactly the same as those spoken because there is no tone,manner or body language expression, context can help but then punctuation can make a big difference to the overall meaning/interpretation.
Equally other words could be used verbally and it would be the intention of those words which matters not the actual words.
As a totally random example; if I chose to use Car manufacturers names as derogatory terms for members of the LBGT community how would you know i was doing so.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team